Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 09:50 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The funny thing is that in this country the way people run businesses, if you have a really good restaurant it will be a chain sooner or later because you'll try to make as much money as possible with it. If a place stays 'stand alone' for a long time it's either super fine dining or they probably just aren't profitable enough to get the funding for an expansion.

I live in a market with a *ton* of options and generally considered one of the best cities for food..and there's a lot of mediocre standalone 'family owned' restaurants that are no better than many chains. I notice a lot of 'ethnic' places seem to think that just being from a place with good cuisine makes you a good cook thereof.
Agreed. Whether or not the food is good is kind of independent of whether the place is a chain.

I went to a locally owned "best in town" deli yesterday. I just moved to this city about a month ago and hadn't eaten there before. I would have rather had Jersey Mike's or McAllister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 10:02 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Well not to belabor the point (too late!), barbecue is an original word/concept built on an earlier (but different) tradition. Barbecue was the Tex-Mex of its day.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:04 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Awww, y'all hatin' on chain restaurants. I get it - I don't go to a chain restaurant looking for a gourmet meal, but honestly, sometimes I just want some soup and salad at the Olive Garden, or a loud and boisterous evening with kids and grandkids at Texas Roadhouse.

I think if everyone is completely honest, we'd find that most people go to chains sometimes, whether it's for food, or for clothing, or sunglasses, or whatever. I think it's sort of pretentious to pretend otherwise.

I love gourmet food, custom made jewelry, hand crafted shawls or scarves, one of a kind pieces or tastes or whatever. I'd rather go to the locally owned coffee shop rather than Starbucks any day. But sorry, that doesn't mean I WILL NOT go to a Starbucks, especially if I'm with someone else who says, "Hey, wanna grab a coffee at Starbucks?" No, sorry, I'm not going to say, "Ewww, Starbucks - REALLY? No, let's go to the locally owned place across town instead instead of one of four or five Starbucks within a five mile radius."
The last time I ate at a (non-fast food) chain restaurant was Cheesecake Factory 7 months ago. I grew up in a white-bread area where chains were basically the only choice. I ate them enough to know they aren't worth it when you have a million other choices within a few blocks. I live in New York now and, before that, Philadelphia. Why would I choose to ever go to an Applebee's when there's a boatload of other American restaurants that serve the same thing but much better? Large food/coffee chains bland their products down to the lowest common denominator so they have the widest appeal. It's good for business, but generally doesn't ever give you a taste that blows you away.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:01 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Well not to belabor the point (too late!), barbecue is an original word/concept built on an earlier (but different) tradition. Barbecue was the Tex-Mex of its day.
It seems like you may not understand what original means.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
It seems like you may not understand what original means.
Barbecue as done by the English settlers of the American colonies was different than the barabicu as practiced in the Indies. More different than simply using cheddar cheese for instance.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Barbecue as done by the English settlers of the American colonies was different than the barabicu as practiced in the Indies. More different than simply using cheddar cheese for instance.
Different =/= original

Old 10-24-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Different =/= original
You are speaking in incomplete thoughts which is making this twice as hard as it need be. But while different is not a synonym of original, it is obviously an element. I fail to see how Tex-Mex is original but barbecue is not, but I’m sure we will discuss it slowly over the next three 1-line posts from you.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You are speaking in incomplete thoughts which is making this twice as hard as it need be. But while different is not a synonym of original, it is obviously an element. I fail to see how Tex-Mex is original but barbecue is not, but I’m sure we will discuss it slowly over the next three 1-line posts from you.
I feel as if I've addressed everything already and I'm just not interested in repeating a point I believe was very clear. Do some backreading I guess.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I feel as if I've addressed everything already and I'm just not interested in repeating a point I believe was very clear. Do some backreading I guess.
Barbecue as developed in the American colonies is unique and original. If you somehow think Tex-Mex is more original because it uses cheddar, then, well, I don’t know.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,735 times
Quote:
Barbecue as developed in the American colonies is unique and original. If you somehow think Tex-Mex is more original because it uses cheddar, then, well, I don’t know.
I don't know what we're arguing about but Tex-Mex sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.