Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Sought After Big Brand Chains Indicate a City/Metro has "Arrived?"
Patagonia Store 9 9.00%
Crate and Barrel 12 12.00%
Pottery Barn 5 5.00%
West Elm 8 8.00%
Nordstrom 25 25.00%
IKEA 36 36.00%
Google Store 8 8.00%
Amazon Retail Store 18 18.00%
Apple Store 30 30.00%
Samsung Store 5 5.00%
Dave n Buster's 5 5.00%
Top Golf 14 14.00%
Cheesecake Factory 10 10.00%
Maggiano's 2 2.00%
Palm Steakhouse 6 6.00%
Four Season's Hotel 33 33.00%
Ritz Carlton 37 37.00%
Westin Hotel 10 10.00%
Hard Rock Cafe 9 9.00%
Margaritaville Hotel 3 3.00%
Other (list it) 13 13.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 12:34 AM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
So here in 2019, I understand the Apple Store doesn’t seem as unique. But 15 years ago, it was definitely the shiny toy every city wanted. When your city was chosen for an Apple Store, it was very much a huge deal. It was the first, and truly only thing, I could think of as being a national status symbol for places wanting it.

There are a few other brands that cause similar waves in a new community, but they are more regional and downscale. Chickfila is like the Holy Grail of fast food places in the South, and people wait breathlessly for one to open in their home county.
Hammer on the nail.

Having an Apple store, let alone a flagship designed one was like winning the status mega-ball for a city lol.

I remember when the first Chick-fil-A opened in Vegas.... the city quite literally lost it's **** lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 01:59 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
Even for big cities like LA, SF, NYC, Chicago and others, it is a combination of what they have that really sets them apart. NYC esp Manhattan/Brooklyn seem to have everything imaginable and usually at least 1 or 2 or more. LA has most of what New York has. Other cities slightly less and less.

Los Angeles is a big city Metro but not everywhere is equally gifted with these sought things. Most of the LA's westside has these in abundance monopoly it seems because it is where most fashionable and rich/famous live. But Downtown LA is growing and has been growing for some time. So when these sought after things people are listing come to Downtown, you know Downtown LA is making it.
Things that opened or recently opened in Downtown the past 10 years that has brough some excitement in the Downtown area sphere.
City Target
Zara
H&M
Macy's flagship
Whole Foods
Trader Joes (but not really considered Downtown proper)
Chick Fil A
Shake Shack
Urth caffe, Blue Bottle, Philz
Eggslut
Pichoun
Jordan Flagship store
BNKR (Australian trendy retailer)
ACNE (Swedish trendy retailer)
A.P.C.
West Elm
Theory
Brooks Brothers
Mykita (German eyeglass store)
Gentle Monster (Korean eyewear store)
Uniqlo
Marugame noodles
Alamo Drafthouse (opened last month)
Sprinkles Cupcakes
Majordomo (David Chang)
Ace Hotel
Proper Hotel
Hoxton Hotel
Freehand Hotel
Nomad Hotel
Standard Hotel
Other major hotel chain
Soon a Park Hyatt near the Ritz Carlton that is part hotel and part luxury residences
Sunday Smorgasburg food event.

Coming in near future
Flagship Apple Store inside a historic 1920s Broadway theater https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/02...e-los-angeles/
Flagship Vans Shoe Store
HK Market and Foodhall (like South Korea's luxury version of Eataly)

Downtown LA is growing and starting to compete with the westside of LA. Westside is Manhattan and Downtown is Brooklyn currently. As Downtown's population grows as well as its hotel choices, new eateries/bars, and wide selection of retail, it will soon rival the entire westside 300+ square miles in an area that is maybe less than 10 square miles. Kind of like How Manhattan despite its size pretty holds every single sought after brand name.

Back on topic
I think Muji stores are becoming quite popular are only in a few select cities.
In N Out is becoming popular in some select cities even though it is all over California
Umami Burgers and Eggslut are also SoCal chains starting to grow domestically and internationally.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:18 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Hammer on the nail.

Having an Apple store, let alone a flagship designed one was like winning the status mega-ball for a city lol.

I remember when the first Chick-fil-A opened in Vegas.... the city quite literally lost it's **** lol
Buffalo NY recently rejected a proposed Chick-Fil-A in its airport for its corporate ideology. Proud moment for this not-so-proud metropolis. LV is a place I want to go for poker purposes but I don't think the only desert one would find there is geographical...if you're chock-full of Chick-Fil-A's and Hobby Lobbys (not saying LV has the latter--I'm switching rhetorical voices now, lol), you've probably made it in the estimation of Joel Osteen, but...hopefully 21st century America can do better going forward. I'm not all that optimistic, but the struggle will be real.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:29 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
OP,
Echo & Rig is a high end Steakhouse Restaurant that you can add to your list including others that have been mentioned such as Telsa, Apple, Whole Foods, and Philz Coffee.

Only 2 Echo & Rig’s in the U.S. - Las Vegas and Sacramento.

You can add the Kimpton Brand Hotels to your list - it's one of the original Hip Boutique Hotel Chains, based in San Francisco. Started out in mostly West Coast cities, Sacramento, Los Angeles, etc.

Philz is long time San Francisco coffee place with many locations in NorCal including Sacramento, a few in SoCal now.

I agree with you, as a city adds these higher end places means they are expanding their upper class, Sacramento is a good example of this as it has all the locations on your list minus three of them including the ones I've added to the list.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:41 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
eh I'd say only Ritz Carlton on the list. but there are others not on the list. I don't really consider chains to be a great example of this because they often just pick certain regional spots to try out, but then move around . And often don't enter markets that are already well served in their specialty. its kind of a vibe for people who want sameness. what is Margaritaville hotel?

Old 10-26-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
eh I'd say only Ritz Carlton on the list. but there are others not on the list. I don't really consider chains to be a great example of this because they often just pick certain regional spots to try out, but then move around . And often don't enter markets that are already well served in their specialty. its kind of a vibe for people who want sameness. what is Margaritaville hotel?
Four Seasons is just as boujee & picky about its locations.

Baltimore had its Ritz-Carlton residence years before Four Seasons decided to put a tower in Harbor East for ex.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Buffalo NY recently rejected a proposed Chick-Fil-A in its airport for its corporate ideology. Proud moment for this not-so-proud metropolis. LV is a place I want to go for poker purposes but I don't think the only desert one would find there is geographical...if you're chock-full of Chick-Fil-A's and Hobby Lobbys (not saying LV has the latter--I'm switching rhetorical voices now, lol), you've probably made it in the estimation of Joel Osteen, but...hopefully 21st century America can do better going forward. I'm not all that optimistic, but the struggle will be real.
Vegas has 4 Chick-fil-A’s and 4 Hobby Lobby’s haha

While fundamentally its still good ol’ Vegas, amenity wise it’s leaps and bounds better now a days

Old 10-26-2019, 09:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
A Starbucks Reserve seems to be a good indicator of a city's status, which so far in the US exist in Seattle, SF, New York and coming soon to Chicago.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:12 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
OP,
Echo & Rig is a high end Steakhouse Restaurant that you can add to your list including others that have been mentioned such as Telsa, Apple, Whole Foods, and Philz Coffee.

Only 2 Echo & Rig?€™s in the U.S. - Las Vegas and Sacramento.

Philz is long time San Francisco coffee place with many locations in NorCal including Sacramento, a few in SoCal now.
I really don?t think a steakhouse with only two locations in the country counts. Now if you said Ruth’s Chris I'd go along with that, but not Echo and Rig. I know Ruth’s Chris is everywhere now, but I always remember seeing their ads in the inflight magazines with only a handful of locations. What I want to know is Rig one of the Bunnymen?

I also missed the memo where Philz Coffee is now mentioned with the likes of Whole Foods, Apple, and Tesla? Nearly everyone knows those three, Philz I had to look up. I guess there’s three in San Diego, and I know exactly where two of them are, and I‘ve had to have seen of them, but I clearly never gave it a second thought. You have piqued my interest though, and I’ll have to try it out. Apparently they’re only in Chicago and D.C. outside the state of California. Once again, hardly a household name.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:45 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I also missed the memo where Philz Coffee is now mentioned with the likes of Whole Foods, Apple, and Tesla? .
I guess you don't know SF very well, everyone in the Bay and Sacramento knows Philz Coffee as well as they know Apple or Tesla.

As far as Echo & Rig, the trend has just started Vegas 1st, Sacramento 2nd, there's probably one being planned in SoCal by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.