Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 08:43 AM

12 posts, read 6,328 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My partner and I currently live outside of Burlington, Vermont, and are interested in moving somewhere else in the next few years. I am originally from Oregon and he is from Massachusetts, so we're trying to find somewhere that is more of a "halfway point". We're not really interested in living in any of the states in the middle of the country; we're moreso pulled toward Colorado area or maybe North Carolina (I realize neither of these is technically halfway).

Some places I've looked into:

-Durango, CO
-Asheville, NC
-Boone, NC

Things that are important to us in a place to live:

-close to an airport (preferably a major airport) in order to be able to fly to Oregon/Mass at a relatively affordable price
-mountainous area (we can't live anywhere flat)
-small town/small-town feel
-access to mountain biking, hiking, and skiing opportunities
-dog-friendly
-four seasons
-lakes/ponds that freeze over in winter for skating/ice riding (not the most important)
-near tracks for motorcycle track days (again, not the most important)

I'd love any ideas for places to live that have some of the qualities listed above, and specifically if anyone has any opinions about Durango or Asheville areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 05:13 PM

994 posts, read 967,835 times
Durango is closest do your preferences out of those 3 . Boone is maybe an hour or so from the Charlotte airport and has kind of a small town feel , Asheville not so much.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:01 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Look at Grand Junction in Colorado.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
If you weight skiing heavily, up on the benches in Salt Lake City. Some of the best skiing in the world is right there. A major airport with a Delta hub is 20 minutes. I have a number of former Vermont ski friends who relocated and love the place. They span the political spectrum from Bernie fan to Deplorable so it’s cosmopolitan enough.

The problem with Denver is the mountain towns aren’t affordable. To get to affordable, you’re going to be a really big drive to DEN and it’s going to be a weak economy. Salida is a cool place and Monarch is a fun little ski area but it would be tough to earn a living there. DEN is 3 hours if you don’t hit traffic.

Santa Fe is a favorite spot. Ski Santa Fe is another fun small ski area. ABQ is a good airport. The problem is affordability. Housing is expensive there now.

I’ve skied North Carolina. Nope. Not on my list since the skiing is so lousy.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:43 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
The best balance (the key word being balance) of what you're looking for, I'd say Asheville.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:07 PM

12 posts, read 6,328 times
Thanks for the suggestion of SLC. I do feel like it's too much of a big city for us, but I will keep it in mind!

It is so hard to find affordable places to live in Colorado (just from looking online).

Regarding skiing in North Carolina, did you not enjoy it because of the typical iciness of east-coast skiing as compared to the powder out west?

Old 10-27-2019, 05:36 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I don't think Boone even has an airport. Asheville has a regional airport with frequent flights to Florida, with other flights to NYC, DC, ATL, and perhaps a few other places. If you need a major airport as a WNC resident, you're going to Charlotte.

Boone is at a much higher elevation than Asheville, with a much smaller feel, and Boone is a real college town.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:17 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Why don't you visit the SE this winter and check out the ski slopes. Boone is closest to Beech/sugar Mountain which have the highest elevations.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:19 PM

994 posts, read 967,835 times
Cataloochee in NC is a pretty area and has skiing nearby also.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:57 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Why don't you visit the SE this winter and check out the ski slopes. Boone is closest to Beech/sugar Mountain which have the highest elevations.
Beech and Sugar are tiny and have a very short season. Bolton Valley, the little ski area closest to Burlington, is way bigger.

The OP hasn’t said what they do for a living. Most mountain towns are totally reliant on tourism. Unless they have skills that translate well to tourist towns, it can be a hand-to-mouth existence. Chittenden County has much more of an economy and isn’t at all reliant on tourism.

The problem with western mountain towns is the California exodus. Housing prices have been driven up. There’s lots of competition for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.