Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 05:40 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgrath View Post
Some places I've looked into:

-Durango, CO
-Asheville, NC
-Boone, NC

Things that are important to us in a place to live:

-close to an airport (preferably a major airport) in order to be able to fly to Oregon/Mass at a relatively affordable price
-mountainous area (we can't live anywhere flat)
-small town/small-town feel
-access to mountain biking, hiking, and skiing opportunities
-dog-friendly
-four seasons
-lakes/ponds that freeze over in winter for skating/ice riding (not the most important)
-near tracks for motorcycle track days (again, not the most important)

I'd love any ideas for places to live that have some of the qualities listed above, and specifically if anyone has any opinions about Durango or Asheville areas.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
The best balance (the key word being balance) of what you're looking for, I'd say Asheville.
I agree. Asheville has it's own airport and does have decent service at affordable prices. It definitely captures the small town feel and more so in neighboring towns like Hendersonville, Black Mountain or Brevard (my favorite). Besides skiing locally at Wolf Laurel you can get to the Beech Mountain/Sugar Mountain slopes in
about an hour and a half. Mountain biking and hiking is everywhere in/around Asheville. The area is the epitome of dog-friendly and don't know of anywhere else "more friendly". It's one of the few areas of the country that seems to receive four solid seasons, all about equal in length with the summer and winter extremes of heat/cold or precipitation not severe. Freezing over of lakes/ponds is not going to occur as a result and don't know of any motorcycle tracks in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 06:12 AM

12 posts, read 6,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Why don't you visit the SE this winter and check out the ski slopes. Boone is closest to Beech/sugar Mountain which have the highest elevations.
I would love to visit the area in the winter!

Old 10-28-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree. Asheville has it's own airport and does have decent service at affordable prices. It definitely captures the small town feel and more so in neighboring towns like Hendersonville, Black Mountain or Brevard (my favorite). Besides skiing locally at Wolf Laurel you can get to the Beech Mountain/Sugar Mountain slopes in
about an hour and a half. Mountain biking and hiking is everywhere in/around Asheville. The area is the epitome of dog-friendly and don't know of anywhere else "more friendly". It's one of the few areas of the country that seems to receive four solid seasons, all about equal in length with the summer and winter extremes of heat/cold or precipitation not severe. Freezing over of lakes/ponds is not going to occur as a result and don't know of any motorcycle tracks in the area.
I've looked a little bit into the towns surrounding Asheville and it seems like that might be a good idea. Brevard really stood out to me! I'm wondering if these towns outside of Asheville have nice communities/downtowns of their own? It would be nice to live outside Asheville but still be in a smaller town with amenities.

It's great to hear how dog-friendly and friendly in general Asheville is!

Old 10-28-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Beech and Sugar are tiny and have a very short season. Bolton Valley, the little ski area closest to Burlington, is way bigger.

The OP hasn’t said what they do for a living. Most mountain towns are totally reliant on tourism. Unless they have skills that translate well to tourist towns, it can be a hand-to-mouth existence. Chittenden County has much more of an economy and isn’t at all reliant on tourism.

The problem with western mountain towns is the California exodus. Housing prices have been driven up. There’s lots of competition for jobs.
I'm a speech-language pathologist and my partner works in the behavioral field in schools but also has his CDL.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:45 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgrath View Post
I'm a speech-language pathologist and my partner works in the behavioral field in schools but also has his CDL.

That's transportable enough where somewhere like Salida CO might work if there are any job openings. It has a pretty Vermont-ish vibe except the refugees don't come from New York and Boston. You'd starve in the service sector. You're close enough to Denver (outside of rush hour) that you have access to the inexpensive DEN-BOS and DEN-PDX flights. You need to have two carriers with nonstop flights or airfares tend to be really expensive. Monarch doesn't get the destination resort business since it has no slopeside lodging and it's three little distinct peaks with center pole double chairs & 1000' feet of vertical. I really like the place. Salida is more of a summer place. Rafting on the Arkansas River is the big local draw. It's not exactly "close" to DEN but Durango isn't exactly a major airport. In the Carolinas, Charlotte is the major airport for the mountain towns and it's something of a fortress hub so you don't get the two airlines on your city pairs.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:58 AM

472 posts, read 347,570 times
I'd take a look at some of the following- Flagstaff, AZ; Sedona, AZ; Knoxville or Chattanooga, TN (but Knoxville may be a bit too big for what y'all are looking for). Best of luck!

Old 10-28-2019, 11:04 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
How about Duluth, Minnesota? Right on the lake, and mountains to the northeast with classic 4 seasons.

Major airport access would be Minneapolis, but Duluth has an airport as well.

It's midway between Oregon and Massachusetts as well. If you don't mind the super cold winters, could be a good spot.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:14 PM

142 posts, read 93,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Cataloochee in NC is a pretty area and has skiing nearby also.
ehh, Maggie Valley and any of the towns around Cataloochee make Boone look like a cosmopolitan metropolis in comparison. That area is beautiful, but very remote, doesn't seem to fit what the OP is looking for. (Also, Cataloochee is much smaller than Beech/Sugar, but closer to Atlanta).

Old 10-28-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's transportable enough where somewhere like Salida CO might work if there are any job openings. It has a pretty Vermont-ish vibe except the refugees don't come from New York and Boston. You'd starve in the service sector. You're close enough to Denver (outside of rush hour) that you have access to the inexpensive DEN-BOS and DEN-PDX flights. You need to have two carriers with nonstop flights or airfares tend to be really expensive. Monarch doesn't get the destination resort business since it has no slopeside lodging and it's three little distinct peaks with center pole double chairs & 1000' feet of vertical. I really like the place. Salida is more of a summer place. Rafting on the Arkansas River is the big local draw. It's not exactly "close" to DEN but Durango isn't exactly a major airport. In the Carolinas, Charlotte is the major airport for the mountain towns and it's something of a fortress hub so you don't get the two airlines on your city pairs.
Salida looks like a really neat town. Thanks for suggesting it! I think another big thing, especially when it comes to Colorado, is being able to find affordable housing.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:08 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Look at Grand Junction in Colorado.
I like Grand Junction, but the airport is rinky-dink and expensive to fly out of. That being said, if OP is willing to consider Junction, then somewhere in the Black Hills (Rapid, Custer, Hot Springs, Hill City, Spearfish, Sturgis, or Deadwood-Lead) is a wild-card.

I'd check out Canon City, Colorado. It's a little milder in the winter. It's an hour or so from Colorado Springs and a couple hours from Denver, but it's located close to both the Sangre de Cristo and Sawatch ranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.