Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 09:12 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
It's a cash grab, and any time anyone tries to change it, they respond with "don't you care about saving lives?"
That is the same propaganda we heard in the 1980s when we were told by the government driving faster than 55 would result in a bloodbath on our roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 09:13 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post

I think, while there should definitely be exceptions, the state I live in should allow up to 70 on any state-maintained non-freeway if an engineering study proves it's safe above 55. Also, freeways' max should be set by county (as it is in Texas) rather than statewide, with most counties capped at 70 or 75 depending on geography (although the cap in Putnam County, Davidson County, Shelby County, Montgomery County and some east Tennessean counties should probably be 65).

Speed limits are SUPPOSED to be set based on measured 85th percentile vehicle speeds, as measured by traffic engineers.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:37 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
For full-access, two-lane highways here in Illinois, the speed limit is 55. I don't have a big issue with that because the opposing traffic being in immediately adjacent lanes and the numerous cross-roads and lumbering farm equipment make a good case for lower speeds. Plus, Illinois has a very extensive interstate network if you need to cover longer distances more quickly. But some of those interstates out in the corn and soybean fields could stand to have their speed limits kicked up to 80 or 90 for standard passenger vehicles, or maybe just eliminated altogether for those who have a special license plate indicating they have undergone high-speed driver education and training.

Also, I wish we'd follow Wisconsin's lead of converting the four-way stops at intersections of two-lane highways into roundabouts. I hate having my momentum dragged down to a complete stop in the middle of nowhere for nothing and nobody. At least with the roundabouts and the open sight lines provided by the flat terrain around here, you can evaluate whether there's cross-traffic well before you approach the intersection; and if there isn't, you can zip through it at around 40mph and then keep on truckin'.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:14 AM

1,056 posts, read 726,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
numerous cross-roads and lumbering farm equipment
But then shouldn't a few two-lane parkways have HIGHER speeds, and full-access four-lane highways also be lower? Plus, large paved shoulders can make dodging a wrong-lane vehicle or moving over for faster traffic easier, and you're far less likely to fly off the edge of the road. I even know of a few such large two-lane highways where traffic moves approx. 65 mph, and I wish I could go along (I never speed by over 5 mph) as I too would feel comfortable going that speed.

Quote:
Also, I wish we'd follow Wisconsin's lead of converting the four-way stops at intersections of two-lane highways into roundabouts. I hate having my momentum dragged down to a complete stop in the middle of nowhere for nothing and nobody.
I strongly agree. It should happen everywhere, as is often the case on arterial and even collector roads in Europe. Plus, roundabouts are far safer, and they wouldn't have to be upgraded to traffic lights when traffic volumes rise/an area urbanizes.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
But then shouldn't a few two-lane parkways have HIGHER speeds, and full-access four-lane highways also be lower? Plus, large paved shoulders can make dodging a wrong-lane vehicle or moving over for faster traffic easier, and you're far less likely to fly off the edge of the road. I even know of a few such large two-lane highways where traffic moves approx. 65 mph, and I wish I could go along (I never speed by over 5 mph) as I too would feel comfortable going that speed.
I'm not sure what you mean by two-lane parkways. I can't readily think of any four-lane full-access highways in Illinois that are not in urbanized areas. I've seen a number of them in Wisconsin, and in such cases, the speed limit is usually 65 versus 55 for their two-lane rural highways.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:10 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
For full-access, two-lane highways here in Illinois, the speed limit is 55. I don't have a big issue with that because the opposing traffic being in immediately adjacent lanes and the numerous cross-roads and lumbering farm equipment make a good case for lower speeds. Plus, Illinois has a very extensive interstate network if you need to cover longer distances more quickly. But some of those interstates out in the corn and soybean fields could stand to have their speed limits kicked up to 80 or 90 for standard passenger vehicles, or maybe just eliminated altogether for those who have a special license plate indicating they have undergone high-speed driver education and training.

Also, I wish we'd follow Wisconsin's lead of converting the four-way stops at intersections of two-lane highways into roundabouts. I hate having my momentum dragged down to a complete stop in the middle of nowhere for nothing and nobody. At least with the roundabouts and the open sight lines provided by the flat terrain around here, you can evaluate whether there's cross-traffic well before you approach the intersection; and if there isn't, you can zip through it at around 40mph and then keep on truckin'.
The bolded, totally agree. There is NO reason pretty much any interstate in IL in a rural area has any speed limit below 80. Especially roads like I-88, I-57, and I-55, which are pretty much wide open with little to no traffic pretty much all the time (except for construction, which would obviously have its own speed limit).

Hell, people regularly go 70-85 MPH on I-88 in the west suburbs, even with more traffic, and accidents aren't common on that stretch at all. It's insane to think just a couple years ago, the speed limit on that road was 55. Ridiculous.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:02 PM

Or how about I-72? You could organize a 20-car free-for-all bonzai speed dash between Champaign and Hannibal, and except maybe a few miles around Decatur and Springfield, you'd hardly even need to clear off public traffic.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:20 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
On the subject of round-abouts, I live in an area that is perhaps the capital of round-abouts, in Tri-Cities, WA. Over the past couple of decades the area has built hundreds of them in a metro area of 300K. They do work. They do save fuel. Here, most folks understand how to drive them and they seem to be seamless.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:15 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
In Louisiana I think the highest speed limit I've seen is 75, going toward Alexandria and Pineville. I do think that the speed limit on Interstate 12 in Baton Rouge should be raised at least from 60 to 65. Its only 65 part of the way through Baton Rouge.

When I lived in Maryland the speed limits were ridiculously slow, though they eventually had a 70 speed limit on most of Interstate 68 and Interstate 70 west of Frederick. However the speed limit on Interstate 70 between Frederick and Baltimore should also be increased to 70, they should have at least a 60 or 65 speed limit on all of I-695. The DC Beltway should be increased to 60, or maybe 60 at night and 55 in the daytime.

West Virginia has reasonable speed limits. Though you occassionally run into people who say the 70 speed limit on I-79 between Charleston and Clarksburg is too fast because of the curvy nature of that highway and that it should be lowered to 65 in some parts.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 AM

16,559 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
When I lived in Maryland the speed limits were ridiculously slow, though they eventually had a 70 speed limit on most of Interstate 68 and Interstate 70 west of Frederick. However the speed limit on Interstate 70 between Frederick and Baltimore should also be increased to 70, they should have at least a 60 or 65 speed limit on all of I-695. The DC Beltway should be increased to 60, or maybe 60 at night and 55 in the daytime.
The speed limit on I-70 was raised to 70 mph west of U.S. 29 (Ellicott City), back several years ago. And the darndest thing happened: people slowed down! Whereas everyone used to roar up the highway doing 70 or 75 when the speed limit was lower, now it seems like the typical speed is around 65 or so. Honestly, I've never seen anything like it. (Admittedly, this seems to be a bigger issue in the stretch between U.S. 29 and Marriottsville Road; from there on west, the actual speed does seem closer to 70.)

As for I-695, I think that 60 might make sense on the wide, relatively straight section between I-95 and I-795. But otherwise, I think there are enough twists and turns to justify keeping it at 55. Ditto for the Capital Beltway; the top side (from I-95 to the American Legion Bridge) is curvy enough that, if anything, they should lower the speed limit to 50. But from I-95 to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge could probably stand to be raised to 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.