Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 08:25 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times

Advertisements

Mount Moriah in Deadwood. You can visit Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane, and get great views of the hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 10:02 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Is it OK to lie and say I live there? If I live in Skokie, can I mention one in Chicago? What if I used to live in Chicago, is it still "my city"? My mother is buried in a city where I've never lived --- no go? What are the rules?
There's no need to lie. I haven't lived in Wilkes-Barre for over 30 years. I grew up there and have been to Hollenback twice just to walk around and look at the lovely mausoleums, statues, and distinctive grave markers.* I'd feel free to mention a cemetery where a relative or friend was buried.

*Once was when my father was in Cardiac ICU at the hospital across the street. That was his view from the window in his room. I went over there to be in a quiet, green place for a while.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
The fairly rare long-eared owl occurs often in Kansas, where town cemeteries offer an ideal undisturbed habitat of a grove of old growth trees surrounded by bare fields. If there is a nesting pair, they will stay for decades and make a reconnaissance fly-over if visitors stop. The pair at Jetnore KS cemetery was well-known.
Country cemeteries, especially those pioneer cemeteries on the prairies or plains, are often the refuge for rare and endangered plants and wildflowers because they have never been plowed.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:21 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Mobile,Al

Magnolia Cemetery

Church street graveyard.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:21 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
We have a number of small community cemeteries around the area dating back to the 1840's. You won't find many graves dating back further than that due to Oregon main settlement happened about that time. Often you'll will see a whole family buried around the same date, often makes me wonder about their story.

In the area is Jacksonville Cemetery, Rocky Point Cemetery, Logtown Cemetery and the Missouri Flat Cemetery, all of these date back to the 1840's. When my wife and visit these cemeteries we often wonder about the lives these people led, some died really young and others lived to be a ripe old age.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:21 AM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Boston has a bunch - Granary is in the heart of downtown and is probably the most famous with the graves of Paul Revere, John Hancock, and Samuel Adams (as well as Boston Massacre victims). King's Chapel, Copp's Hill, and Central Burying Ground are the other big ones (all pretty close together too).

If you drive down to Fall River, Oak Grove is worth a stop too. It's pretty, but it's also the resting place of Lizzie Borden, the infamous (alleged) axe murderer.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:06 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Just go see where your ancestors are buried, if you haven't done so already.

I live in CA, and last month I finally made a visit to N Minn, and saw my grandparents' graves.
They're buried side-by-side, but for some reason my grandfather got a marker and my grandmother didn't
(my father and his sisters are no longer around to explain that). But from reading the names
on the neighboring markers and stones, I could see that they're resting among their countrymen (Finns).

No one famous is buried there, as far as I know, and it's not scenic... but I learned a bit of history:
the cemetery manager pointed to some nearby woods, and told me there was a Hooverville there
during the Depression, populated by men looking for work.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,939 times
Salem & Evergreen cemeteries, both in Winston-Salem, NC. Many prominent people are buried in both, especially the former. RJ Reynolds and family, the Hanes clan, and Shaffners at Salem (among many others). Members of the Five Royales singing group, an actor who played in some of the Police Academy movies, and bluesman Guitar Gabriel in Evergreen.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Allegheny Cemetery in Pittsburgh. Incorporated in 1844 and over 300 acres of beautiful hilly terrain, trees, mausoleums and walking paths.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:18 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Is it OK to lie and say I live there? If I live in Skokie, can I mention one in Chicago? What if I used to live in Chicago, is it still "my city"? My mother is buried in a city where I've never lived --- no go? What are the rules?
Someone questioned why Arlington National Cemetery wasn't on the list. I highlighted that the question asks about the city in which people live, which is why Arlington National Cemetery wasn't listed. (posters were responding to the question posed)

I'm not advising how people respond. I simply pointed out why no one had mentioned Arlington.

Got it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.