Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 04:18 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

In 1982 I studied for the bar with a person, from California, names "Chris." He was an incredible genius, having graduated from law school at the age of 21. After the exams, one weekend day we took a drive up to the Catskills to go hiking. When the area turned beyond rural, to near wilderness, Chris asked me "jbgusa, are we still in New York"? He didn't know that New York had much beyond pavement and skyscrapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 08:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In 1982 I studied for the bar with a person, from California, names "Chris." He was an incredible genius, having graduated from law school at the age of 21. After the exams, one weekend day we took a drive up to the Catskills to go hiking. When the area turned beyond rural, to near wilderness, Chris asked me "jbgusa, are we still in New York"? He didn't know that New York had much beyond pavement and skyscrapers.
So kinda like if I'd never been to California but then spent a year living in Eureka. Upon seeing San Francisco for the first time I'd say "jbgusa, are we still in California?"

Old 11-24-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
So kinda like if I'd never been to California but then spent a year living in Eureka. Upon seeing San Francisco for the first time I'd say "jbgusa, are we still in California?"
I see your point. Except that when someone mentions "California" the first places people think of are LA and San Fran. When I was 16 and on my teen tour in 1973, one day's bus trip was from Crater Lake in Oregon to Mount Lassen Volcanic Park in northern California. The trip leader told us "you won't see Beach Boys on surfboards when you cross into California." In fact, it was frigid (a beginning La Niña summer) and there was still snow on the ground near the top of Mount Lassen. I knew what to expect; most of my fellow trip members did not.

Similarly, most people think of New York the city first, not the rest of the state when someone says "New York."

Old 11-25-2019, 12:10 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Sounds like your friend sacrificed a bunch of street smarts while focusing exclusively on book smarts.

Quote:

Old 11-25-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Quote:
Sounds like your friend sacrificed a bunch of street smarts while focusing exclusively on book smarts.
While that is not necessarily an example you are probably right. He left high school at 15 (took the GRE) for UCLA undergraduate and then law school. You miss things that way.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:23 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I see your point. Except that when someone mentions "California" the first places people think of are LA and San Fran. When I was 16 and on my teen tour in 1973, one day's bus trip was from Crater Lake in Oregon to Mount Lassen Volcanic Park in northern California. The trip leader told us "you won't see Beach Boys on surfboards when you cross into California." In fact, it was frigid (a beginning La Niña summer) and there was still snow on the ground near the top of Mount Lassen. I knew what to expect; most of my fellow trip members did not.

Similarly, most people think of New York the city first, not the rest of the state when someone says "New York."
People in NYC are often incredibly ignorant about NJ, which is right across the creek from the city. We get people on the NJ forum fairly regularly asking about a place with an $800 rent and a 45-minute commute with good schools. Get in your time machine. It's mind-boggling that people could possibly think such a place exists IN NEW JERSEY, the most-densely populated state in the country, with several hundred thousand commuters a day heading back and forth to Manhattan, which is on an island. There are beautiful suburbs with some of the best public schools in the nation--but you aren't going to get to live in them cheaply. Or with a 45-minute commute, lol.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
People in NYC are often incredibly ignorant about NJ, which is right across the creek from the city. We get people on the NJ forum fairly regularly asking about a place with an $800 rent and a 45-minute commute with good schools. Get in your time machine. It's mind-boggling that people could possibly think such a place exists IN NEW JERSEY, the most-densely populated state in the country, with several hundred thousand commuters a day heading back and forth to Manhattan, which is on an island. There are beautiful suburbs with some of the best public schools in the nation--but you aren't going to get to live in them cheaply. Or with a 45-minute commute, lol.
The question is, how reliable is that commute these days? With the engineer shortage on NJ Transit?

Old 11-25-2019, 10:50 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
The question is, how reliable is that commute these days? With the engineer shortage on NJ Transit?
I think you missed the point. Unless you live on the banks of the Hudson or the very last stop on an NJT line, your chances of having such a short commute are slim in the best of times. The problem is that New Yorkers seem lacking in knowledge about their next-door neighbor. After the buildings went down on 9/11, they put us in Jersey City for a while. Two of my coworkers expressed shock that I still had an hour commute. How could that be? I lived in Jersey!

But yes, the engineer shortage has been a problem overall. NJT just hired a new crop of trainees.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:32 PM

174 posts, read 106,584 times
Quote:

When I drove my kids up to see SUNY Binghamton a few years back, my daughter was genuinely shocked when we got a bit past Middletown on 17. She asked where the people and cities were, and I got to break the news to her that most of the USA and definitely much of upstate Noo Yawk is just like this. Parts of Delaware and Schoharie Counties can pass for West Virginia... wild and scenic, but uninhabited. Further upstate, Hamilton County is so rural their Supreme Court wasn't even in session every weekday. It sounds like a joke out of Green Acres, but the county seat of central NY's Madison County is WAMPSVILLE.

Needless to say, this is generally not the NY you see on TV or in the movies.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:14 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
When I drove my kids up to see SUNY Binghamton a few years back, my daughter was genuinely shocked when we got a bit past Middletown on 17. She asked where the people and cities were, and I got to break the news to her that most of the USA and definitely much of upstate Noo Yawk is just like this. Parts of Delaware and Schoharie Counties can pass for West Virginia... wild and scenic, but uninhabited. Further upstate, Hamilton County is so rural their Supreme Court wasn't even in session every weekday. It sounds like a joke out of Green Acres, but the county seat of central NY's Madison County is WAMPSVILLE.

Needless to say, this is generally not the NY you see on TV or in the movies.

California is the same way. Huge portions of the state look exactly like the links below. Once you get out of the major metro areas, this is what you'll find throughout most of the state...not a Hollywood celebrity, hipster or Silicon Valley tech worker to be found for miles around!

https://goo.gl/maps/TJBwR12XA3h1Lze68

https://goo.gl/maps/cwTTbACAxFaDkEwL9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.