U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2019, 09:12 PM
 
5,935 posts, read 14,292,949 times
Reputation: 3613

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I see your point. Except that when someone mentions "California" the first places people think of are LA and San Fran. When I was 16 and on my teen tour in 1973, one day's bus trip was from Crater Lake in Oregon to Mount Lassen Volcanic Park in northern California. The trip leader told us "you won't see Beach Boys on surfboards when you cross into California." In fact, it was frigid (a beginning La Niña summer) and there was still snow on the ground near the top of Mount Lassen. I knew what to expect; most of my fellow trip members did not.

Similarly, most people think of New York the city first, not the rest of the state when someone says "New York."
Fair enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2019, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
20,170 posts, read 7,621,592 times
Reputation: 6266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Mississippi

Forgot 1 more thing. People here don't have the country accent ( majority).
I don't know about that. I went to a Wendy's in Pearl years ago (2000), and everyone was speaking in the thickest southern accent I had ever heard outside of West Virginia. Maybe it's changed in the 19 years since?

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 11-25-2019 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2019, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
20,170 posts, read 7,621,592 times
Reputation: 6266
I will mention a couple about Arizona

Biggest one: Stereptype-The state is all hot desert

False. The low desert only makes up 30% of Arizona's land area. Another 20% is high desert which gets cold in the winter, and the remaining 50% is mid elevation valleys and high mountains, which are forested or have a lot of pinions and junipers. And the low desert is not HOT in the winter contrary to stereotype. Here in Phoenix, we average highs in the 65 to 75 range and lows in the 45 to 50 range in winter, similar to May in New York City more or less. The high country is downright cold for 6 months of the year, with elevations over 11,500 feet having a polar tundra climate.

Another stereotype of this state-everyone is conservative/Republican

False. And increasingly false as we get more transplants yearly. Republicans still make up the majority in the state house, but represent the rural and suburban districts mainly. The urban areas, especially in Tucson and Greater Phoenix are Democrat majority. One caveat is that the eastern Phoenix suburbs of Gilbert and Mesa are the most conservative part of the state, and this is due to LDS presence in this part of the metro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
1,397 posts, read 815,125 times
Reputation: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't know about that. I went to a Wendy's in Pearl years ago (2000), and everyone was speaking in the thickest southern accent I had ever heard outside of West Virginia. Maybe it's changed in the 19 years since?
I stated most don't have that thick drawl that people think of and I've traverse nearly the whole state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 09:55 AM
 
7,466 posts, read 14,500,967 times
Reputation: 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I stated most don't have that thick drawl that people think of and I've traverse nearly the whole state.
Serious question, though. Are you from the South or have lived there for an extended period of time now? Southerners often don't notice each others' accents. Outsiders do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 02:25 PM
 
3,060 posts, read 956,531 times
Reputation: 2282
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't know about that. I went to a Wendy's in Pearl years ago (2000), and everyone was speaking in the thickest southern accent I had ever heard outside of West Virginia. Maybe it's changed in the 19 years since?
That is a very long time. The accents of younger peoppe throughout the country have faded since then.

Most white people I meet from the South barely have discernible Southern accents, often none at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 02:45 PM
 
Location: New York Area
17,863 posts, read 6,993,014 times
Reputation: 13713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That is a very long time. The accents of younger peoppe throughout the country have faded since then.

Most white people I meet from the South barely have discernible Southern accents, often none at all.
I live in New York. Our cantor hails from Dallas, and has no discernible accent, whether when she sings or talks. Her explanation is that she left for college in Vermont at age 18, for divinity school after college in either New York or Cincinnati and really hasn't returned except for family visits.

There has to be more to it since people I know from Britain still sound quite British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
1,397 posts, read 815,125 times
Reputation: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Serious question, though. Are you from the South or have lived there for an extended period of time now? Southerners often don't notice each others' accents. Outsiders do.
It's literally in my username -->662. I've been in other Southern states. Met plenty of people from the other regions of the States alongside foreigners ( Canadians/British/ Trinidian/& Jamaican). I notice the differences but Southern accent in Mississippi doesn't stick out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 03:38 PM
 
3,060 posts, read 956,531 times
Reputation: 2282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I live in New York. Our cantor hails from Dallas, and has no discernible accent, whether when she sings or talks. Her explanation is that she left for college in Vermont at age 18, for divinity school after college in either New York or Cincinnati and really hasn't returned except for family visits.

There has to be more to it since people I know from Britain still sound quite British.
Yeah I met a man from Dallas and a woman from Austin the other night, neither had any discernible Southern accent and neither of them left Texas until their 20s (and are still in their late 20s)

I think people who move at age 18 tend to still have their accents. If they're below mid teenage years, it can go either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
7,751 posts, read 6,664,300 times
Reputation: 6962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
It's literally in my username -->662. I've been in other Southern states. Met plenty of people from the other regions of the States alongside foreigners ( Canadians/British/ Trinidian/& Jamaican). I notice the differences but Southern accent in Mississippi doesn't stick out.
This you?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJkgxL1_x-A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top