U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 09:55 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,431,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hello OP...this is a great thread topic.I will go next. I live in Texas.Some people think the whole state is desert with saquaros.That is wrong.That kind of cactus is not found in Texas naturally. A lot of people think we all own guns.Some of us do.People think all of our us are conservatives but the big cities in Texas tend to be liberal.

Texas is more moderate and less conservative than the popular stereotype.A lot of people think we are all Christians.Well, I am a Christian but there's lot of different religions here. Some people think we all own ranches.I dont.A lot of people think we are all oilmen with oil wells.Well, I am but most Texans aint.The desert is only about a tenth of the land area of Texas and we have great diversity in terrain.Its far from being all desert.
It’s also not commonly known that Texas is a minority majority state.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 10:02 PM

2,220 posts, read 726,568 times
Illinois has a reputation for bloated government but it actually has a small state government workforce relative to the population it serves. The pensions are just too large.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:10 PM

2,651 posts, read 809,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
By who, boomers?

Old 10-31-2019, 11:16 PM

18,429 posts, read 4,497,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I did not know that a lot of people did not know that.I guess i thought it was common knowledge around the country.We are a very diverse state.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:20 PM

4,348 posts, read 4,930,493 times
New York.

heh... Where to start. It is one of the most misunderstood and stereotyped states in the country.

Everybody is rich/no poor people: Patently untrue. While NY does have a massive population of middle class and beyond, and many an old money family have second and third homes on the lakes here, a distressing number of New Yorkers both urban and rural are living just above, at, or below the poverty line.

It's one of the only states where a millionaire's mansion will be right next to a Appalachia-appropriate shack or an and old crumbling house. That doesn't even touch on the number of abandoned homes or rough condition trailer parks across the state, especially in the southern tier. Or the very real ghetto areas of the larger cities.

Everybody is rude: A lot of people from NY are very friendly. We just tend to talk in a sarcastic way and wear our emotions on our sleeves. That doesn't mean we're not nice; it's just our culture, our sense of humor.

No country folk/rednecks/all urban people: Not even remotely true. Get off the tourist path and see what you find.

Hyper liberal: No. NYC is mostly liberal, and what they say goes for the whole state because the vast majority of the population lives in or near NYC. There are the usual urban blue bastions here and there, but without NYC, New York state would be as purple as PA.

Is part of New England: Where did this misconception come from anyway?

Flat: hahahahahahaHA, no. I admit this one is not super common, but it is out there. People who tend to only ever visit NYC or Albany or drive the I-90 never see the rest of the state; which is utterly covered in the Appalachians/upper Alleghenies, and Adirondacks.

No good food cuz YANKEES: Please.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:32 PM

7,485 posts, read 6,522,789 times
OKLAHOMA:

Most stereotypes of Oklahoma have some truth to them but are somewhat exaggerated...........

However the one that is NOT true is that Oklahoma is "flat and barren". While parts of the state are flat and some of the state is barren, most of it is undulating terrain with some long hills and small mountain ranges thrown in. Much of the state is forested albeit a lot of it is thick scraggly hardwoods.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 AM

2,651 posts, read 809,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I did not know that a lot of people did not know that.I guess i thought it was common knowledge around the country.We are a very diverse state.
It is common knowledge.
Texas is in the media for all sorts of things, and it obvious that the state has both a large Hispanic and black population.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:11 AM

18,429 posts, read 4,497,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It is common knowledge.
Texas is in the media for all sorts of things, and it obvious that the state has both a large Hispanic and black population.
True.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:15 AM

56,597 posts, read 75,678,865 times
Californians are not beautiful hard body surfers
They are fat loud sloppy looking with lots of tattoos
50% are not from this country and as a rule those are easier to get along with
The streets and public places are full of bums
Crime is much higher than reported

Old 11-01-2019, 07:07 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,678,020 times
Massachusetts:

Ultra Liberal: NO almost nowhere in Mass is except Cambridge/Somerville and Amherst/Northampton. Its very much and understated limousine liberal throughout much of the state and especially in the Boston area. Very little SF/Portland type liberal here. In the cities its more so blue-collar union type liberal than progressive liberal, although the cities are leaning more progressive each year. There are also some solid conservative areas in the southern portions of the state.

Not Diverse: Massachusetts is about 30% minority for a minority population of well over 2 million including nearly 900k Hispanics, our states largest minority group. Not only is Massachusetts slightly above the median for racial diversity in the US. Its is much more immigrant heavy and ethnically diverse than most states. 1/6 of Mass residents is an immigrant. We have strong and deep ethnic pockets including the most Cambodian (Lowell), most Puerto Rican (Holyoke), most Dominican (Lawrence), most Irish (Scitutate), most Ghanaian (Worcester), most Portuguese (Fall River) and most Cape Verdean(Brockton) municipalities in the country.There is Boston isnt even the most diverse city in the state-there are a few more. There are handful of large cities 65% or more minority.

The Accent: Id say only 15-20% of people have it sand its nearly non existent in the younger sub 30 population. The Boston Accent is much more prominent in the suburbs than Boston.

Boston Centric/Sports: There are actually some New York Sports fans in the far western/southwestern portions of the state. Not everyone is a Boston ports fan throughout the entire state. To this same note many people here Massachusetts and they think Boston. Boston is 48 square miles out of a state that is 10,000 Square miles. Massachusetts has many different small regions and they're pretty much all anchored by a city or two with a population of 80-185k people. All the major cities are extremely different demographically, but they also have their own separate 400 year histories that are largely independent of Boston. They developed different cuisines, accents and politics. Many cities in towns in MA have very differing forms of government.

Seafood: I think people think we eat chowder oysters and lobster alot. From my life experience that stuff is available but really only when you're literally a few hundred feet from the water. Driving around MA and Boston you rarely se signs for seafood. Im never around people eating it, i never smell it in the air its definitely not mom and pop or in urban neighborhoods like you see with crab in Maryland. Rhode Island New Jersey Maine and Maryland seem to eat far more seafood than we do. IN fact i often forget people get excited about seafood in Boston since it seems to be confined to high end restaurants and tourist areas. I can say with 100% certainty seafood is not a big part of local culture in Boston or 90% of Mass. I've eaten more portuguese, italaian, jamaican and dominican food than Seafood in my life.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 11-01-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or