Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 01:47 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I've never thought of PA as being remotely Midwest. If anything, I think Ohio should be placed with the northeast.
Lots of people do. Listen to the political pundits lump Pennsylvania in as a Midwestern state when talking about “winning the Midwest” in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 03:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Minnesota

No, it's not always cold. And this one, I hear from even locals "It's so dark in winter." The winter here is more often than not, sunny. Also, we don't get THAT much snow, usually. We'll get a couple storms but most of the snowfalls are moderate to light. I usually wish we got more snow, but it varies with the seasons.

People don't really sound like in the movie Fargo (most don't) but there is an accent on words like "bag" and the long "o."

People are surprised on how urban Minneapolis and even Saint Paul can be. No, it's not all country.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:08 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Mississippi

Forgot 1 more thing. People here don't have the country accent ( majority).

Old 11-04-2019, 04:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Mississippi

Forgot 1 more thing. People here don't have the country accent ( majority).
Do you mean that people in Mississippi don't have a stereotypical low-class, uneducated, rural/county Southern accent? Or do you mean that people in Mississippi don't have accents?

Old 11-04-2019, 04:32 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
If you look at WV Democrat senator's record, he's not a conservative.

Given it is a poor state, it has had a lot of fiscally liberal voters.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Joe Manchin is the most conservative Democrat in the Senate. And he is the only Democrat who can win in present day West Virginia
I believe he votes with his party most of the time which is the most left it has ever been right now.

I don't know any conservative who considers Manchin a conservative. You can't be a Democrat and a conservative. That doesn't make any sense.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
OK, they were neither liberal nor conservative.

At the moment, the political thrust of Americans who call themselves conservatives is to block what American liberals call social progress.

Nazis are a self-entitled demographic majority imposing a zealous dictatorial will over a helpless minority, as I believe characterizes Wisconsin
Winning elections isn't being self entitled. Self entitlment is when you lose elections and act like it shouldn't matter.

False accusations of Nazism isn't compatible with social progress.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:50 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I believe he votes with his party most of the time which is the most left it has ever been right now.

I don't know any conservative who considers Manchin a conservative. You can't be a Democrat and a conservative. That doesn't make any sense.
Most liberals despise him. I agree he's not a conservative but he is a very moderate Democrat

Old 11-04-2019, 06:41 PM

403 posts, read 462,228 times
Easily how diverse Houston is.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:24 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
Snow amounts: It gets quite cold here, but snow amounts are not THAT crazy. 40-45" is typical despite having a quite long winter. Large snows occur once every 3 years or so (as in >6-8" at a time).

CoL: Cost of living is not that cheap here; salaries mostly do not justify the cost of living, which is fairly high.

Summer is cool: Sometimes (last couple years it mostly has been), but it can get quite hot and humid during stretches in the summer...Usually only a few days at a time though.

Rest is mostly true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.