Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CA, OR, WA secession, yes or no?
Yes 23 30.26%
No 53 69.74%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
California pays more in federal tax then it receives. It is the rest of the country that wants a Cali MasterCard.
California breaks about even when it comes to money paid to the Federal Government as to the money it receives. In 2019 there were 10 donor States (States that pay more than they receive) they are Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Illinois, New Hampshire, Washington state, Nebraska and Colorado.

Here's a link to the article:https://www.governing.com/week-in-fi...-get-back.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 10:07 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
I think California is better off staying in the U.S. than going through the trouble (which would never happen) of seceding. The process of seceding would be very rough. Organizing a nation's government, military, currency, laws, etc. would take a lot of time, and that's not even talking about the actual act of seceding. Since these states are basically unanimously left wing, politically the country would be completely lopsided with no challenging from another side. It would not by any means be an "easy transition" for locals. If you don't think a HUGE chunk of people (and businesses) currently residing in CA wouldn't immediately bolt across the border into the states before secession, you're crazy.

All that said, obviously the state itself could sustain itself as a nation. But it would almost definitely look almost nothing like it does right now.

This is a pipe dream though, but it's fun to dream.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
On the contrary, I'd imagine the US would kill (so to speak) to maintain a West Coast presence, and pay handsomely.

Also, the new country would have its own military...paid for with the same money it's paying now to the US version.
Sure they would pay, look what they stand to loose, the ports of Seattle, San Francisco and Long Beach. Plus the military bases along the West Coast. I don't think they would take this idea lightly.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
I would add the bordering states to WA, Or, CA, as buffer states and defensivible areas against land invasions either by immigrants or military.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:22 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
If you don't think the US military would destroy their economy on pull-out and in the aftermath you're being naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
California breaks about even when it comes to money paid to the Federal Government as to the money it receives. In 2019 there were 10 donor States (States that pay more than they receive) they are Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Illinois, New Hampshire, Washington state, Nebraska and Colorado.

Here's a link to the article:https://www.governing.com/week-in-fi...-get-back.html
I already looked that up months ago.

The Trump administration increased military spending within CA to the tune of $700M-$1.2B

Otherwise, CA is a donor state by far if we're talking civilian expenditures vs civilian taxes paid.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
No, in fact I don't think many of the residents of Oregon and Washington would be interested in being in a new country with California. Both still have resentment from the past and recently renewed influx of Californian transplants.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Sure they would pay, look what they stand to loose, the ports of Seattle, San Francisco and Long Beach. Plus the military bases along the West Coast. I don't think they would take this idea lightly.
The ports belong to the cities in which they are located, they are not owned by the federal govt. Same with airports.

As far as military, George HW Bush, Bill Clinton and George W Bush cut military and military defense contract spending and presence by way more than half in California.

Again, I dont understand why this has to be confrontational.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, in fact I don't think many of the residents of Oregon and Washington would be interested in being in a new country with California. Both still have resentment from the past and recently renewed influx of Californian transplants.
Agreed, as I stated earlier, I think they are each better off on their own.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I would add the bordering states to WA, Or, CA, as buffer states and defensivible areas against land invasions either by immigrants or military.
There was a movement called the Cascadia movement which pushed for a separate nation called Cascadia, this included Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and parts of Montana, Idaho, Nevada.

James Monroe stated back in 1820 that the Pacific Northwest would be best served if it was its own nation, he even thought that this would happen.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:34 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, if these three states broke off I would worry even more about the fate of anyone who's not an urban liberal. I live in California but don't agree with most of the policies and political beliefs of the elite, and I don't think the new country is where I would want to be. It's bad enough now, but that would be worse.
Yes, I agree with you. I am a rural Washingtonian and despise the virtue signaling liberals who have ruined Seattle by given Carte Blanche to vagrants and drug abusers. I would never live in an area that would be dominated by California politics and ideals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.