Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 11:22 AM

1,260 posts, read 945,273 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago, and I find it interesting that pretty much most of the professional/white collar workers here are white, even though the city is about evenly white, Latino and black in population. For example, in our office we have about 100 employees, yet only about four are black, four Latinos and about a dozen Asians. The rest are white. The office is overwhelmingly white and not reflective of Chicago's demographics.

Curious what are some cities where white population doesn't dominate as much in the professional/white collar jobs? I would think that Atlanta and Miami would be two cities but curious if there are others where you see it more balanced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 11:32 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
My guess would be Honolulu and to a far lesser extent Miami.

Take a look at some of the occupational data from the 2010 Census for Honolulu.

Lawyers

Asian - 1,385
White - 1,165

Physicians

Asian - 1,535
White - 1,105

Accountants

Asian - 2,005
White - 320

Same thing for Miami.

Lawyers

White - 18,165
Hispanic - 4,905
Black - 1,000
Asian - 355

Physicians

White - 7,840
Hispanic - 5,130
Asian - 1,315
Black - 900

Accountants

Hispanic - 16,820
White - 13,320
Black - 4,575
Asian - 1,695

Old 02-18-2020, 11:37 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
I’m in software. Mostly white some Asians and not much else

Old 02-18-2020, 12:18 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I live in Chicago, and I find it interesting that pretty much most of the professional/white collar workers here are white, even though the city is about evenly white, Latino and black in population. For example, in our office we have about 100 employees, yet only about four are black, four Latinos and about a dozen Asians. The rest are white. The office is overwhelmingly white and not reflective of Chicago's demographics.

Curious what are some cities where white population doesn't dominate as much in the professional/white collar jobs? I would think that Atlanta and Miami would be two cities but curious if there are others where you see it more balanced?
Atlanta is very similar to Chicago in that regard.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:38 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
I don't know if such a city really exists.

You'll find more African Americans and Latinos involved in nonprofits,city government (civil and non-civil service), entertainment, media, small business owners, real estate agents, and other entrepreneurial pursuits (due to workplace discrimination).

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-18-2020 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-18-2020, 12:42 PM

I just read an article about this in a boston neighborhood newspaper,

Commentary: Our children deserve access to their city’s best jobs: https://dotnews.com/2020/commentary-...ty-s-best-jobs

"Too many of Boston’s black and brown children are locked into hypersegregated neighborhoods and hypersegregated schools. Meanwhile, Boston’s better-paid workforce is hypersegregated, too. In no way does this reflect the population of this city.

We believe that the “achievement gap” is a short-sighted way to describe the real gap in opportunities that the children of Boston face. We believe that the schools are being asked to carry the whole burden of preparing our children for equality of opportunity, when in fact it will take the whole city to raise up our students. Boston schools alone, no matter how diverse, cannot provide their students with all the opportunities that will allow them to compete in today’s workforce, accumulate wealth, and attain the status and respect of their wealthier peers."

"Far too many Boston family members and caregivers are paid such low wages that they need to work two or three jobs to pay rents on apartments too small for families. Excluded themselves from the better jobs in Boston, they have great difficulty preparing their children for those positions. The childrens’ academic success is based almost exclusively on superficial measurements, mostly test scores, that are barely related to their chances for success in post high school employment. We actually believe that our children are equal to all other children – in every way. But it is very hard for them to get motivated to study things that they have had no personal exposure to. How can they aspire to professional preparation for occupations they don’t know exist? The gap we want addressed is the gap between the excluded and the isolated and the included and the connected, and our students must start being included."

"We ask that the city work with us to devise a plan to break down the barriers that block our children and their families from access to Boston’s best jobs and even from knowledge of what those jobs are. We propose a citywide discussion – with politicians, businesspeople, educators from pre-K to postgraduate, and other community groups – about how to break down those barriers. At what age should we begin to bring our students and their families up to the 20th floor of a downtown building or into a laboratory in a biomedical research facility so that they begin to breathe in the possibilities for themselves and begin to get a very clear understanding of why this or that school subject is for them, and not just a scary, potentially failing test score.

We envision a city in which our children see a wide world of work opportunities in Metro Boston from a very young age and are continually being assured that they belong in it at all levels. We envision a city where the whole of the jobs and professional world has seen the children, has accepted their participation in it, and has made room for them in all of it. We envision a city where our children are seen as valuable additions to the work force and where education, outreach, and other access policies are put into place that make sure this participation happens. We envision a city in which our childrens’ success is not evaluated by test scores and graduation rates but rather by entry into the mainstream where they earn enough to continue to live here and where they bring their distinct talents to contribute to the success of the whole city.

Beverly Williams and Judith Baker are Dorchester residents and retired teachers with long experience in the Boston Public Schools. Williams is the co-chair of the Greater Boston Interfaith Organization (GBIO) and Baker is a member of Friends of Madison Park and of GBIO."

Unequal educational standards, total lack of awareness of modern occupations, segregation in city schools, test driven curricula-all play a factor in what we see all over America-not just Boston.

Here on C-D we don't talk much if at all about the childhoods/educations/lifestyles of the native populace of cities (which are usually overwhelmingly brown/black) and talk much more about the lives of transplants as most of us are transplants, or aspiring to be one. There's a problem and it start inn the schools.

Your best shot at a city that's diverse and not dominated by white professionals..... is a city not dominated by professionals. Las Vegas and Orlando might be best, as well as Sacramento

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-18-2020 at 12:53 PM..

Old 02-18-2020, 12:43 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post

I noticed that as well when living in Chicago. The financial district outside of government offices are overwhelmingly White.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don't know if such a city reallyexists.
Just Honolulu and Miami.

Here is a quick look at the Non-Hispanic White % of financial analysts across various metros.

Honolulu - 24.2%
DC - 59.0%
Atlanta - 61.9%
Miami - 63.8%
NYC - 63.5%
SF - 64.1%
Houston - 69.5%
Dallas - 71.8%
Philly - 75.4%
Chicago - 76.9%
Boston - 81.3%
Seattle - 81.3%

Old 02-18-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Just Honolulu and Miami.

Here is a quick look at the Non-Hispanic White % of financial analysts across various metros.

Honolulu - 24.2%
DC - 59.0%
Atlanta - 61.9%
Miami - 63.8%
NYC - 63.5%
SF - 64.1%
Houston - 69.5%
Dallas - 71.8%
Philly - 75.4%
Chicago - 76.9%
Boston - 81.3%
Seattle - 81.3%
right....and once you're up at Philly-Seattle hats not very diverse at all really. City proper might do better though.

And honestly i'd suspect the vast majority of the diversity in SF and NYC are Asians and in Miami its white Cubans. Not exactly disenfranchised folks defying the odds/stereotypes.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:59 PM

NHW% for architects.

Honolulu - 25.2%
Miami - 50.1%
Washington - 66.8%
Houston - 68.3%
New York - 69.8%
San Francisco - 69.8%
Dallas - 74.6%
Atlanta - 78.0%
Chicago - 78.3%
Seattle - 81.6%
Philadelphia - 86.8%
Boston - 87.1%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.