U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 12:50 PM

25,247 posts, read 18,718,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Only thing is, I didn't find South Carolinians (including Greenville and especially Charleston) to be a friendly, affable, warm bunch in the times I visited. Yes, those with Southern and "yankee" accents alike. Maybe I just didn't meet the "right" people.

I like North Carolina quite a bit better, but cities like Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, where most of the jobs are, just feel like "Generica" to be quite honest. Maybe Asheville or Wilmington, perhaps...?
I've always liked Greenville. I'm from northeast TN, which has had far less development and far fewer transplants, and Greenville and upstate SC in general are much friendlier than here.

Greenville is conservative, but it's pragmatic and developing in a way that small, rural, conservative metros just aren't. The downtown is spectacular, probably the best in the country among cities that size, and there are plenty of dining/drinking/shopping amenities for most people.

Greenville is also close to Lake Keowee and Jocassee, and both of those are stellar. Asheville and the WNC mountains are a little more than an hour up the road. Charlotte and Atlanta are doable as weekend trips for "big city" things. I would choose Greenville over Chattanooga or any city in TN in a heartbeat.

The problem is the IT job market. I'm also in IT, and I've never been able to find anything there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 06:35 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,513,433 times
Never been myself, but from what I hear, might Colorado Springs Colo. fit the bill?

Seems to be generally conservative. Last I heard, the city usually does not vote Democratic and does not sell weed (unlike the rest of the state), so it's probably both politically and socially conservative. Plus, it has the US Air Force Academy and lots of defense contractors, so I'd guess there is a decent market for IT jobs. It's a couple hours drive from skiing and the mountains too. Maybe worth a thought?

Old 11-08-2019, 10:46 PM

3,274 posts, read 2,321,596 times
I was wondering when someone might throw Colo Spgs out there. Colo Spgs tends to be a more conservative area in contrast to Denver, Boulder, or the ski towns in the state, but is far from the most conservative area in the state of CO or in relationship to other traditionally conservative areas in the nation. Lets unpack some of these things from your post as well as some things the OP wants, shall we.

-Generally conservative, yes it is. It also was the birthplace of the modern Libertarian party.
-Does not vote Democratic, it depends. The city and county typically goes Republican in presidential elections as a whole, but there is a large swath of solidly Democratic voters through the central and western portions of the city that regular elect local Democrats to positions and went blue in the last national election.
-Does not sell weed. Partially true. There are no recreational facilities within the city limits. Medical, on the other hand, has hundreds of outlets. Neighboring Manitou does sell recreational weed.
-Politically conservative, see above.
-Socially conservative, hardly. Colo Sgs has more mixed race persons by percentage than Denver, Chicago, or Los Angeles. Interracial couple are common and widely accepted. Colo Spgs was integrating racially back in the 1870s when they added the first African American to its the police force. Before the Civil Rights Movement was a social phenomenon, Fanny Mae Duncan opened her "everyone welcome" Cotton Club right after WW2.
-Fiscally conservative, oh yeah. To a fault. For better or worse, we are the birthplace of the Tax Payers Bill of Rights or TABOR, that is choking the growth and infrastructure of the city and even the state. CO is the only place dumb enough to pass this legislation. Everywhere else it was proposed has turned it down. Colo Spgs voters are notorius tightwads and it reflects in our infrastructure. Fortunately we have enough people figuring out you have to pay for services and have passed several city taxes lately.
-Air Force Academy and defense contractors, yup in spaids. We also have NORAD, Ft Carson, Peterson AFB, Schreiver AFB, and are a leading contender for whatever becomes of the Space Force. Lots of well paying jobs with these organizations, IF you have a Secret or Top Secret clearance.
-Couple hours to ski resorts, well, maybe closer to 3, but yea, world class skiing is close. Mountains actually start right in the city and Pikes Peak is a massive sentinel overlooking the city. Outdoor recreation in and near the city in the foothills and mountains is a year round affair.
-IT/programming jobs, see above about military. There are civilian jobs too, but they are not as prolific as they were in the 1990s when Apple, Intel, Hewlett Package, Texas Instruments, Digital Equipment, Quantum, Laser Magnetic Storage, Cray, and more were located here. Almost all of them are gone now and technology manufacturing is a shell of what it once was.
-Near mountains or beaches/lakes, mountains see above. Beaches - HA, you're funny. This is the arid high plains and foothills. You want to play in the water, your driving at least 30-40 minutes away to wait in line at Pueblo Reservoir. After that its an hour away for the next sizable body of water.
-Genuine people, I think so, for the most part. The area's history as a resort and health area combined with the military and Olympic training population means people here tend to be pretty friendly. Is that genuine, that's a personal opinion.
-Different culture, well, probably not. The mix of east, west, and mid-western makes it comfortable but not really different. Outdoor culture is REALLY big here, but for a really different cultural experience, New Mexico is unlike nearly anything else in the US, IMO. But it is only a few hours away.
-More women than men, not really. Its pretty evenly split actually with a slight edge to men. However, see above about military bases. Unless you are pretty confident in yourself, this could be a dating wasteland.
-Good tax laws, yes, that is true. Property taxes are very reasonable. We do have a reasonable income tax. Sales tax is a bit high, but it has to be to offset all the other low taxes to replace aging infrastructure.
-Decent affordable housing, it depends. Compared to the west and east coats, yes it's less expensive. Compared to the mid-west its more expensive. Housing prices here have exceeded national averages for the first time since the mid 1990s and average price is $370k. I'd also add that unless you score one of the somewhat limited great paying jobs, wages tend to be under national averages for similar positions found elsewhere. We locals tend to call it the mountain tax.

Is it the best place for the OP, dunno. The Rocky Mtn West is not for everyone The natural environment is still harsh, the weather unpredictable, and the air thin and dry. The metro areas are getting increasingly crowded while rural areas become increasingly poor and sparsely populated. Weekend warriors fill the roads to the mountains every weekend and public spaces are becoming increasingly busy. I'd certainly recommend a visit before seriously considering a move.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:34 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,513,433 times
Wow, thanks for the native's take on the place. I didn't know of its interesting racial history. I've never been to Colorado, so all I know is what I read, what people who've been there tell me, and of course -- Homicide Hunter. Watch enough Joe Kenda on ID TV and you think the place is nothing but a crime-ridden hell hole of murder and depravity!

Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 AM

944 posts, read 954,273 times
Nearly any city (aside from maybe SF or small Democratic run cities) will be fine for conservatives.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 1,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Nearly any city (aside from maybe SF or small Democratic run cities) will be fine for conservatives.
To be fair most big cities are liberal (even Salt Lake City had an openly lesbian mayor few years ago). Boise as well. But if you include suburbs then it's different story. So don't confuse city with its county.
Colorado Springs is conservative but probably not that much in near future, same as Fort Worth. The big city that is definitely conservative for a very very long time is OKC.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 PM

32 posts, read 7,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSJ View Post
To be fair most big cities are liberal (even Salt Lake City had an openly lesbian mayor few years ago). Boise as well. But if you include suburbs then it's different story. So don't confuse city with its county.
Colorado Springs is conservative but probably not that much in near future, same as Fort Worth. The big city that is definitely conservative for a very very long time is OKC.
She is still the mayor of SLC, we just had our election for the next mayor, it was between two progressive democrats. We haven’t elected a Republican mayor since the 70s. A recent poll showed that 57% of residents consider themselves liberal while only 21% consider themselves conservative. SLC proper and the county is definitely trending more liberal. It’s not super conservative like people assume. I feel like Boise, OKC or Provo would be a good fit for someone looking for a more conservative area.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:00 AM

2,369 posts, read 1,544,811 times
Colorado Springs, when i visited was way more conservative than Denver and had from what i heard a christian/conservative dating scene.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftVision View Post
I'm a conservative in his late twenties, working in IT looking for a new part of the country to move and work in. I've previously lived in Bozeman, MT, Columbus, Ohio and most recently Minneapolis, MN.

Minneapolis is not bad, but I'm thinking of trying something new over the next year or so. Living in MT made me fall in love with the mountains, so having mountains around or nearby would be great.

Some places I'm thinking of based on the names I've seen pop up here and in YouTube videos in no particular order:

Raleigh, NC
Chattanooga, TN
Fort Worth, TX

I've been to the south before (LA and KY). I love the food and energy down there. The people seem really warm and friendly too and I miss that.

I'm also really curious about living in New Hampshire. I don't mind living in cold weather at all, as long as there's someplace I can go ski. I'd like to have a family one day and it seems like a great state for that. I also kind of like that it doesn't seem to show up on a lot of polls or lists that I've come across, so it could be a hidden gem.

I'm also open to any new suggestions.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, except I'm in High School and I'm planning for the next few years. I'm also looking for somewhere near water. I'm currently looking at Charlotte, NC, along with Greenville, SC or Charleston, SC. Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Old 11-10-2019, 09:17 PM

3,274 posts, read 2,321,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Wow, thanks for the native's take on the place. I didn't know of its interesting racial history. I've never been to Colorado, so all I know is what I read, what people who've been there tell me, and of course -- Homicide Hunter. Watch enough Joe Kenda on ID TV and you think the place is nothing but a crime-ridden hell hole of murder and depravity!
You're welcome. But, be cautious with pop culture perspectives of nearly any place. Detective Kenda's show stems from 20 years of daily duty on the police force from the mid 70s to the mid 90s, when all of the US had higher crime rates than many places do now. Plus, while many key shots show COlo Spgs, its actually filmed in TN, so not much of what you see ther eis actually here. If you were to subscribe to pop culture perspective, Colo Spgs is not unlike Minnesota in it's winter sports access, thanks to the movie Ice Castles. According to Perry Mason's Case of the Sinister Spirit, we are populated by haunted spirits. If you believe the movie Strangelend, we are a criminally insane haven. Spike Lee may have many believing we have a problem with the KKK. According to Furious Seven, we a a wide spot in the mountains. If you believe Our Souls At Night, we are full of romantic pensioners. None are really correct.

If you've never considered Colorado before, I'd also caution you with that. Many mistakenly believe CO is like where they came from only with mountains and ski resorts. In many cases it is considerably different. I'd certainly suggest you include and weight a number of factors outside of your current lists to consider before including CO on it.

Popular opinion polls tends to rank Colo Spgs as very conservative. In fact, PEW research did an opinion poll back in 2014 that a number of places still quote as have Colo Spgs in the top 5 of conservative cities, along with Mesa AZ, Oklahoma City OK, Virginia Beach VA, Jacksonville FL. But, that is the risk of opinions in that they may not examine other underlying reasons and factors.

Through the 1970, 80s and 90s, Colo Spgs was positioning itself as a technology manufacturing center. This tended to attract a more liberal population base. As technology was floundering in the mid 90s, a few well intentioned and well heeled local business leaders made a significant effort to attract several large Christian Evangelical organizations from CA. They were successful in this bid and around the turn of the 21st century, we watched as technology manufacturing shrank and evangelical organizations expanded. This lead to a rise in popular opinion that we are a highly conservative place. After 25 years, these organizations have produced a new generation of born again evangelicals that are tending to shift some areas of the city to more conservative politics. However, there still remains a solid and steadfast liberal population percentage in some areas as well. The center, west and south-east portions of Colo Spgs often vote center to left of center. The east and rapidly growing north side of the city tend to be highly conservative and tends to get more and more so the further north you go until you get into the suburbs of Denver.

Colo Spgs has a the early 20th century of being an artist haven, a tuburculosis colony of rich easterners, a wild supply town for mountain mining efforts, a haven for witches and warlocks, and in the later half of the last century, the home of the Air Force Academy, Fort Carson, and numerous space defense agencies. The one thing Colo Spgs has always done is re-invent itself to survive.

FWIW, your other selections of Fort Worth TX, Chattanoga TN, and Raleigh NC are, like pointed out above, fairly liberal at their core, as is Colo Spgs. Most cities will be. Further out from the center is where things tend to get more conservative politically. NY Times did a precinct by precinct analysis of the last presidential election. The results go much deep than a simply county or city level to see how neighborhoods went in the last presidential election. Its a little revealing in how specific area may be politically. I suggest you overlay some of your decisions with this info.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...0/31.51/-97.74
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or