Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,010 times

Advertisements

I'm a conservative in his late twenties, working in IT looking for a new part of the country to move and work in. I've previously lived in Bozeman, MT, Columbus, Ohio and most recently Minneapolis, MN.

Minneapolis is not bad, but I'm thinking of trying something new over the next year or so. Living in MT made me fall in love with the mountains, so having mountains around or nearby would be great.

Some places I'm thinking of based on the names I've seen pop up here and in YouTube videos in no particular order:

Raleigh, NC
Chattanooga, TN
Fort Worth, TX

I've been to the south before (LA and KY). I love the food and energy down there. The people seem really warm and friendly too and I miss that.

I'm also really curious about living in New Hampshire. I don't mind living in cold weather at all, as long as there's someplace I can go ski. I'd like to have a family one day and it seems like a great state for that. I also kind of like that it doesn't seem to show up on a lot of polls or lists that I've come across, so it could be a hidden gem.

I'm also open to any new suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 05:07 PM

915 posts, read 1,495,765 times
Well........New Hampshire has more of a libertarian streak. Google - the Free State Project.

Raleigh/Fort Worth seem to have a lot of transplant populations, so if you are looking for conservative, you may or may not find what you are looking for. Given the large shift in population numbers.

The old South was a lot more conservative than the new South. Doesn't make it better or worse, just different.

Chattanooga would probably be your best bet for "conservative" - just on the fact that it's really not known for having a lot of transplants.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:10 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,771,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftVision View Post
I'm a conservative in his late twenties, working in IT looking for a new part of the country to move and work in. I've previously lived in Bozeman, MT, Columbus, Ohio and most recently Minneapolis, MN.

Minneapolis is not bad, but I'm thinking of trying something new over the next year or so. Living in MT made me fall in love with the mountains, so having mountains around or nearby would be great.

Some places I'm thinking of based on the names I've seen pop up here and in YouTube videos in no particular order:

Raleigh, NC
Chattanooga, TN
Fort Worth, TX

I've been to the south before (LA and KY). I love the food and energy down there. The people seem really warm and friendly too and I miss that.

I'm also really curious about living in New Hampshire. I don't mind living in cold weather at all, as long as there's someplace I can go ski. I'd like to have a family one day and it seems like a great state for that. I also kind of like that it doesn't seem to show up on a lot of polls or lists that I've come across, so it could be a hidden gem.

I'm also open to any new suggestions.
If you liked Bozeman, and since you're already looking at Tennessee, check out Cookeville. It's about the same size as Bozeman, it's an hour east of Nashville and 1.5 hours north of Chattanooga, and it checks off all of your criteria. There's lots of IT jobs with SAIC, a large government contractor that recently set up its technology integration gateway in downtown Cookeville and is quickly on its way to hiring 300+ IT workers and support staff.

Within 45 minutes of Cookeville are over 100 waterfalls, 1200 miles of lakeshore, a dozen state parks, whitewater rivers, and lots of other outdoor sports. The town itself is attractive, thriving, and full of warm, welcoming people. The cost of living is low, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAcN_OOd4RY&t=21s

After a hike yesterday:

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-03-2019, 05:29 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,331,218 times
Check out Greenville SC near the Blue Ridge mountains. Young singles love the downtown area.

VisitGreenvilleSC.com

Roanoke Virginia is another idea.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:24 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,401,640 times
Yes, I'll second Greenville. Beautiful, with lots of conservatives.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,331,218 times
You'll definitely want to avoid cities like Washington and Portland with a lot of violent liberal antifa members.

Recently in Portland, antifa thugs attacked a conservative Asian-American, Andy Ngo, and induced a brain hemorrhage.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:00 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,401,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You'll definitely want to avoid cities like Washington and Portland with a lot of violent liberal antifa members.

Recently in Portland, antifa thugs attacked a conservative Asian-American, Andy Ngo, and induced a brain hemorrhage.
Liberals can certainly be violent. Extremists of both sides can be of course. But yes, if you're a conservative, I'd avoid the coasts. Stick to flyover country.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:07 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,372,464 times
I’d say all of them - Raleigh, Fort Worth and Chattanooga, trust me you’ll be fine in either.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:12 PM

16,040 posts, read 10,591,641 times
Tulsa seems perfect.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:32 PM

37,813 posts, read 41,589,060 times
Greenville, SC for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.