U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is higher profile area-Gulf Coast or Great Lake?
Gulf Coast 33 50.77%
Great Lake 32 49.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:37 AM

940 posts, read 283,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Typical arrogant Texan point of view.
No, we're talking about the whole Gulf Coast, not just Texas.

Most people choosing the Great Lakes clearly are not reading OP's post properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
How sustainable is the continuation of development in the south?
The South exhibits a subtropical climate, and therefore affords the natural equability to support massive populations. We've seen this pattern time and time again thought history, where the greatest empires all flourished in regions that are warm and lush like the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
On a side note, it's also laughable when people try to claim Houston will overtake Chicago. Hah. hah. hah.
Honestly, I won't be surprised if it does. The subtropical climate just has that natural equability for sustaining huge populations, as we can see from the many megacities burgeoning out in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 08:42 AM

9,237 posts, read 8,241,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
No, we're talking about the whole Gulf Coast, not just Texas.

Most people choosing the Great Lakes clearly are not reading OP's post properly.

The South exhibits a subtropical climate, and therefore affords the natural equability to support massive populations. We've seen this pattern time and time again thought history, where the greatest empires all flourished in regions that are warm and lush like the South.
True, I guess I'm thinking more southwest, which we have spent centuries of energy to populate and maintain. It truly is shocking. But that isn't the topic here.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:10 AM

1,797 posts, read 647,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Then they better start now because "tomorrow" is coming soon. The Great Lakes is still a more vital region, regardless. On a side note, it's also laughable when people try to claim Houston will overtake Chicago. Hah. hah. hah.
First off, no one really cares if Houston overtakes Chicago besides a couple of people on this forum. Ive lived here for 5 years and its never once come up in conversation anywhere.

Second, the regions are not clearly defined. If were talking about only the cities that boarder the Great Lakes vs. the cities that border the Gulf, it would be Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, and Cleveland vs. Houston, New Orleans, Tampa, and Fort Meyers. If that is the case, then yes I agree the Great Lakes cities are more important overall.

Third, oil and gas companies already (almost uniformly) have green energy divisions. So yeah, theyre already there. In the mean time, using natural gas and carbon capture greatly slows down the threat from that industry.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:13 AM

2,642 posts, read 1,310,565 times
Water is the gold of the future. Maybe not in our lifetime, but the Great Lakes has already had to fend off different countries, for their water. Fresh water, I mean...not water with salt in it.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:14 AM

1,797 posts, read 647,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
True, I guess I'm thinking more southwest, which we have spent centuries of energy to populate and maintain. It truly is shocking. But that isn't the topic here.
Having fresh water in the Gulf region is a complete non-issue. We get so much rain we can easily support our population with no issue.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Having fresh water in the Gulf region is a complete non-issue. We get so much rain we can easily support our population with no issue.
I wasn't speaking of water in the Gulf region...I was speaking of the rest of the world, with water shortages. Africa has already tried to get Great Lakes water.....

Old 11-13-2019, 10:48 AM

940 posts, read 283,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I wasn't speaking of water in the Gulf region...I was speaking of the rest of the world, with water shortages. Africa has already tried to get Great Lakes water.....
In the case of Africa, the continent has its own set of Great Lakes.
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Great_Lakes[/url]

Old 11-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
In the case of Africa, the continent has its own set of Great Lakes.
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Great_Lakes[/url]
My mistake...it was Asia, not Africa.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:49 AM

5,670 posts, read 3,923,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Huge powerhouses located on a Great Lake-Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Detroit.

Gulf Coast has Houston, New Orleans, and Tampa.
[B]
This is not a comparison of those cities against each other.[/B]

In terms of a city being positioned in the more commercially and culturally relevant area, Gulf Coast or Great Lake?
Gulf coast, its in the South.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:58 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,065,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Gulf coast, its in the South.
Name checks out.

But seriously, if anything this Gulf coast region is the most unsustainable part of the south, when you look at disasters like hurricanes and flooding. Hell, New Orleans is literally built below sea level.

And while I do enjoy a southern climate to an extent.... the area immediately off the coast more inland is literally a swamp, which in the summer is somewhere I would absolutely not want to be anywhere near. The Great Lakes region is also somewhat swamp like in terms of humidity, but the winters make it more moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or