Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 12:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 2,037,928 times

Advertisements

The census bureau have release the expanded categories of ethnic groups breakdown by culture groups. Asian group have more summary as of now and future releases of White, Black, Latino will be later.
The intriguing info for me is that Indian Americans, based on alone pop, is the largest asian group in the US or slightly less than Chinese Americans in the combined category.

Salvadorians are the 3rd largest latino group.

The Black category shows that Aframs consist of 61%+ of that group and Jamaicans & Haitians comes next. Amongst African cultures it's Nigerian, Ethiopian, & Somalis. Didn't realized there was over 220K Somalis in the US now.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...-overview.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 12:56 PM

2,739 posts, read 2,370,347 times
Some other races has a Lusophone tint to it.

also
Quote:
The vast majority (93.9%) of respondents classified as Some Other Race alone were of Hispanic origin

Note that Jamaican because the #2 black ancestry group when in combination while Ethiopian barely changes.
I'm also surprised that the AA population is only ~25million.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:59 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,923,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post

also

Note that Jamaican because the #2 black ancestry group when in combination while Ethiopian barely changes.
The census site says 47.2 million black or alone in 2021 so I wonder what’s missing from this chart

Old 09-22-2023, 09:28 PM

21,420 posts, read 12,376,083 times
Quote:

also

Assuming 80-90k of those Cabo Verdeans live in MA...that's a large percentage of the total black population that mixed with "some other race" Probably 85k out of 700k blacks statewide. so ~1/8. That sounds very fair and accurate.

Slightly surprised Haitians have lowkey surpassed Jamaicans if they hadn't in 2020 they certainly have by now with the migrant crisis. Seem like the gap between the two was huge 20 years ago.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:31 PM

21,420 posts, read 12,376,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
The census site says 47.2 million black or alone in 2021 so I wonder what’s missing from this chart
Yep doesnt make sense.

African Americans remain the largest black group in every state despite that weirdness:

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...20-census.html

Old 09-23-2023, 07:01 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,243,352 times
Yea not alot of this makes sense especially with the white population. German ancestry was something that dwarfed English and Irish ancestry in the US in every census. This one shows English as being higher than Irish and German and being around 20 million higher than every other census lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race..._United_States

Old 09-23-2023, 09:40 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,000,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Yea not alot of this makes sense especially with the white population. German ancestry was something that dwarfed English and Irish ancestry in the US in every census. This one shows English as being higher than Irish and German and being around 20 million higher than every other census lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race..._United_States
Genetic ancestry tests probably pushed the needle on that. A lot of people used to identify solely as American, so that makes a lot of sense in my books.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:56 AM

379 posts, read 462,382 times
How can I look up the counts per county or state? Has that been released yet?

Old 09-23-2023, 10:43 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,000,998 times
I did the math and roughly 37.9% of black individual's for whatever reason did not specify ethnicity in the state of Texas. Now it's fair to say we don't know who did this whether it was African American's who felt they didn't have to put down their ethnicity because their the dominant black group (which is fair), or it could be illegal immigrants or for some other reason, immigrants in general not wanting to put down their ethnicity on a government document. My guess is the former, but I would rather just scale these numbers up and assume that's what it is for the state.

I'm gonna make a few categories first: Now, I assume this is a gross overestimate but I think this is also a fun way of doing things, and more reflective of the demographics around my age, (early 20s) because African immigrants are very bottom heavy population and Caribbean folks are still moderately young population.

This is for Texas:
African American- 88.0%
African- 10.0%
West African (Not including Nigerian)- 1.0%
Nigerian- 4.9%
Caribbean- 1.9%
East African- 3.0%
Central African (including Cameroon)- 1.0%
Southern African (Anglophone Countries)- 0.2%

Old 09-23-2023, 12:40 PM

350 posts, read 187,319 times
Quote:
Yeah turn off the media/TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.