U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 10:56 AM

48,125 posts, read 38,659,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm72 View Post
Oh I imagine the heat being hot and long. I've been to TX and OK but that was many, many years ago.

What makes the COL in TX not as low people think in the metro areas? I suppose most if not all metro areas are more expensive than say rural or burbs.
Oh people think "Housing costs less in Texas!" Well, not much less in the larger metro areas. Also, property taxes are high in Texas (though there's no state income tax so it tends to be evened out).

Smaller cities though do have a good COL in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 11:29 AM

7,513 posts, read 14,518,023 times
I think the main problem is going to be finding a city large enough to have a good economy, yet not large enough that the city is clearly left-wring, yet not small enough that the city is anti-LGBT.

One thing I realized when living in KY is that while the population is quite conservative in many ways, very few people are actually homophobic in the more populated areas.

Louisville has good LGBT protections, but the city itself is actually quite liberal. Maybe some of the suburbs would work. But the conservative suburbs in the Southwest are full of drugs and crime, though pretty accepting of the LGBT community. The conservative suburbs on the East Side are quite expensive and still pretty homophobic. The fun neighborhoods where the good restaurants and nightlife and jobs are are far more progressive than you'd imagine for a Southern city.

Lexington KY is somewhere between large college town and secondary major city in the state. But the college town vibe makes it quite left-wing. Though it's small enough that areas just outside of it are pretty moderate and LGBT friendly.

The Cincinnati region including the suburbs in Northern Kentucky is doing well economically and as far as large-ish metro areas go, it's still pretty conservative. But again, I never met a homophobic person from there.

I would also add the eastern/coastal area of Virginia.

The only places I can think of where you get the longer summers compared to KY and VA would be maybe Birmingham and Tallahassee. I can't comment on the LGBT friendliness of either, but they are larger/more important cities in conservative regions. That mix of importance and conservative region tends to create a progressive core city with moderate suburbs where the LGBT population is still somewhat accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or