Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 07:28 PM

91 posts, read 152,002 times

Advertisements

i am rather highly worried about crime in my area. especially since there are gang bangers living just 2 houses away from me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 02:07 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
//www.city-data.com/top27.html

Using city-data's top 100 crime list, my own city West Palm Beach, Florida has an index of 908.2!

Old 12-25-2006, 09:47 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Default To N.A.H.

You are concerned about crime, and I don't blame you at all. But I see now that you are considering Knoxville. Don't do it. I repeat, don't even bother looking there, and don't listen to anyone from there who is biased and trying to paint a rosy picture. Last night I looked up some stats in a book I have that is probably more accurate and detailed than City Data's stats. The crime and demographics for Knoxville are not what you are looking for.
I guarantee those cheap, nice looking houses you found are on the "wrong side of town" or just in need of lots of repair.
I'd recommend Scranton over Knoxville. That said, Tennessee does have low taxes and a nice climate. Johnson City would be my choice for the things you're looking for.
I wouldn't do Cedar Rapids either, mainly due to climate, and a nice house won't be as cheap as some of the other places. I've lived in and visited alot of places. If you're adaptable like me, even Oil City won't be as bad as some here make it out to be.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
You are concerned about crime, and I don't blame you at all. But I see now that you are considering Knoxville. Don't do it. I repeat, don't even bother looking there, and don't listen to anyone from there who is biased and trying to paint a rosy picture. Last night I looked up some stats in a book I have that is probably more accurate and detailed than City Data's stats. The crime and demographics for Knoxville are not what you are looking for.
I guarantee those cheap, nice looking houses you found are on the "wrong side of town" or just in need of lots of repair.
I'd recommend Scranton over Knoxville. That said, Tennessee does have low taxes and a nice climate. Johnson City would be my choice for the things you're looking for.
I wouldn't do Cedar Rapids either, mainly due to climate, and a nice house won't be as cheap as some of the other places. I've lived in and visited alot of places. If you're adaptable like me, even Oil City won't be as bad as some here make it out to be.

Wow, this picture looks dreadful. Do you live in Knoxville?

Old 12-25-2006, 10:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post

Thanks for the warning. Ive removed Knoxville from my list of cities to consider. Whats wrong with Cedar Rapids? The price isnt bad!

http://homepics.realtor.com/image6/http/cedarrapids/listings/large/031/2609386_101.jpg (broken link)

Only $45k which is affordable for me!

http://homepics.realtor.com/image6/http/cedarrapids/listings/large/060/2607787_101.jpg (broken link)

Another affordable house.

Cedar Rapids costs twice as much as Oil city. I already know a large house for around $50k is going to need some TLC. Ill do the repairs myself and save thousands! You get a good deal on a TLC house because the seller doesnt feel like doing the repairs. Alternatively, I could get a small 2 bedroom house in move in condition for around $50k like that one:

http://homepics.realtor.com/image6/http/cedarrapids/listings/large/094/2600760_101.jpg (broken link)

The crime index for Cedar Rapids is "average" so I should be allright with common sense and dont end in the wrong place at the wrong time and dont make anyone mad. Cedar Rapids is my second choice from Oil city. Are those houses pictured above a good deal?

Old 12-26-2006, 02:17 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I live in LA, but in an independent city from LA so our crime ranking is in the top 100. It's very safe where I live. We have very little crime.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:02 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
NAH - Affordability is relative. In my research, I've found that you can live in an area that is relatively cheap (200k - 250k) and make a decent living. You can move to very cheap areas (100k - 150k), but your pay may go down. Consider that, even if you are self employed.

Personally, crime does not scare me unless I'm in the most depressed areas, like the Hub in the Bronx or north of 124th in Manhattan. I have some street smarts growing up in a poor area, and attribute that to my ability to avoid crime (not always possible no matter where you live).

I'd rather move to a nice warmer climate than stay in the Northeast though.

Also, city-data can't tell you some of the other factors. People that live in towns like Oil City will give you a better idea. Have you visited the area? You should, you may hate it.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:20 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
I am definitely concerned about crime where I live, and it seems to be just getting worse and worse; therefore, I am leaving and going back to a place so nice that I used to say "I love Florida" all the time. Little did I know . . . I didn't love FLORIDA; I just loved SAINT PETERSBURG and surrounding areas.

Fort Myers crime rate index for 2004 (City Data is a bit behind) was 933.2, and that was with an estimated population of less than 60,000. There are so many places with twice our population and half the crime rate. Fort Myers . . . one of Florida's dirty little secrets.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times
Quote:
Are you worried about the crime in your city?
Worried? I wouldn't say that I go around feeling worried.

I would say that I am aware.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:22 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,804 times
Yeah, same here. You can't spend your life worrying what might what happen. Just like you MIGHT die in your sleep, you MIGHT get struck by crime.

Now obviously, avoid the seedy areas of any place, but just because a city has a crime rate above 100 doesn't mean you should avoid it. It limits you to depressed, dull areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.