Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:27 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Thanks for the warning. Ive removed Knoxville from my list of cities to consider. Whats wrong with Cedar Rapids? The price isnt bad!

http://homepics.realtor.com/image6/http/cedarrapids/listings/large/031/2609386_101.jpg (broken link)

Only $45k which is affordable for me!

http://homepics.realtor.com/image6/http/cedarrapids/listings/large/060/2607787_101.jpg (broken link)

Another affordable house.

Cedar Rapids costs twice as much as Oil city. I already know a large house for around $50k is going to need some TLC. Ill do the repairs myself and save thousands! You get a good deal on a TLC house because the seller doesnt feel like doing the repairs. Alternatively, I could get a small 2 bedroom house in move in condition for around $50k like that one:

http://homepics.realtor.com/image6/http/cedarrapids/listings/large/094/2600760_101.jpg (broken link)

The crime index for Cedar Rapids is "average" so I should be allright with common sense and dont end in the wrong place at the wrong time and dont make anyone mad. Cedar Rapids is my second choice from Oil city. Are those houses pictured above a good deal?
While I'm going to get yelled at here, I don't think those houses look very nice. I mean, they look like they have been prettied up for the pitures and perhaps are a wreck inside. I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 07:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times
Safety comes first and low crime does not mean boring, it means safe. Sorry but living in gangland is not my idea of "excitement" Those houses arent huge but they look fine in the pic. Big enough for one person.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 PM

There can be nice places that aren't gangland. You are generalizing far too much. A crime rating above 100 does not mean it's a dump area. Expand your options and chill on the crime worries. IMO.

Now, I haven't been there but I'm sorry, I would find Oil City quite boring. There is virtually nothing to do there. If you think you'll be happy in your house online all day, go for it. I need to have some stuff to do in an area, but maybe you don't.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:03 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
I wonder what these numbers even mean when it comes to crime, I've never lived in a city anywhere near 100 (current city of 11+ years is 565.2), and I've never been a victim of any crime other than petty theft.

And while certain parts of the city I live in certainly have very high crime, a crime number encompasses a whole city, and is not an accurate depiction of what life would be like where you choose to live, even in an area with a higher than average crime number. my neighborhood might have a bit of gang activity, but gangland it is not (these days it is more like yuppieland).

Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 PM

291 posts, read 1,360,844 times
We have an alarm wired up to the police dept and have an intercom onstar type system as well. I use it 24/7 and I still don't feel very safe, but we will move soon here anyhow, and hopefully I will not have to have one of these expensive alarms, and can save the 39.99 a month after we move, at least I hope so anyhow!

I have considered a gun, might have to get one soon to protect ourselves here.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times
If you need alarms, guard dogs and weapons you live in a very crime infested area. I wouldnt live in a such area for free!

Do not ignore crime index, the higher it is, the more of a risk you take. I have been lucky so far that I never got robbed nor mugged. My moms car did get broken into but luckily not stolen. One of my neighboors got burglarized. With a crime index of 900 in west palm beach, I sure dont feel safe. Crime is always on the news here!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Crime is always on the news everywhere. Sorry, that's a majority of the news...crime. If you don't know that ,I don't know what to tell you. In most cities, crime is 80% of the news.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
you know the old saying 'if it bleeds, it leads'. Sad but true. Yes, in some areas of the country crime is a problem, but I honestly think we've become a nation of paranoids, the 'news' hasn't helped.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforasafehome View Post
We have an alarm wired up to the police dept and have an intercom onstar type system as well. I use it 24/7 and I still don't feel very safe, but we will move soon here anyhow, and hopefully I will not have to have one of these expensive alarms, and can save the 39.99 a month after we move, at least I hope so anyhow!

I have considered a gun, might have to get one soon to protect ourselves here.
Where do you live, Baghdad? It's not difficult to understand that crime is everywhere, and population centers (cities) are going to have more of it because there are more people living there. I know it's already been stated, but crime isn't spread equally throughout a city. It's concentrated in certain areas and neighborhoods...it can sometimes hit other "safer" areas of town or even towns like Oil City. But it's crazy to be afraid to live where you want to live and function normally.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:11 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,170 times
it seems like a number of our cities are suffering some serious crime these days (Memphis, Miami, Philly...)

What, if anything, could be done in the short term (like next 90 days) to fix this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.