Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single male looking for vibrant nightlife, dating scene, major league sports, bigger city, beach

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:47 PM
JT. JT. started this thread

3 posts, read 7,938 times

Advertisements

To be frank, I just don't know where to live. I've lived in the NE for most of my life, and while it's not a bad area, I just don't feel it's for me. So, here's a little bit of info about me, and hopefully I can get an idea of where I should live.

- Single male, looking for a vibrant nightlife and dating scene.

- Sports, sports, and more sports! Specifically major league, such as NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.

- Not really religious. I don't care what the people around me believe in, as long as they don't push their religion on me.

- Not real political, but I guess I'd consider myself to be more liberal. Once again, I don't really care if people around me are conservative, as long as they don't push their beliefs on me.

- Hate long, cold weathers. I can put up with it for a little while, but I'd prefer a warmer climate. It doesn't have to be tropical, but I don't want to live in a place where it can get to 20 degrees or below.

- Obviously I don't want to live in a city with tons of crime, but as long as I can walk around during the day without fear, I'll be okay.

- I'd prefer a bigger city (300,000+ population) with lots to do.

- An area that's at least somewhat close to the beach (1-1.5 hrs. away at most).

If any city comes to mind, let me know! I thought of a few cities, but I've never been to many of them so I have no idea if they will fit my liking. I've been thinking of cities such as: Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Kansas City, New Orleans, Birmingham, Denver, Charlotte, and pretty much anywhere, besides Miami, in Florida.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 09:06 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,653 times
Denver- Subtract the beach and replace with Mountains (much better IMO).

It has everything you are looking for and then some. There is truly no "bad" area (by eastern standards). The winters have cold periods, but it is bright and sunny. The winters are *mild* by eastern standards as well. I went through the whole winter with a light coat that I didn't wear all the time.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Here's the skinny on Birmingham

The negatives? Lack of professional sports, unless you count AA Baseball.

It's more conservative, religiously and political, but not aggressively so. You'll find lots of people like you.

A really great nightlife, plenty of music, and things to do.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
How about Austin, TX? You have: nightlife, college football, plenty of singles, liberal views, and a great job market.

San Diego could be a good fit too.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Also, you may find Birmingham, Tulsa, and OKC to be too overwhelmingly conservative and religious...

Old 04-19-2008, 10:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT. View Post
To be frank, I just don't know where to live. I've lived in the NE for most of my life, and while it's not a bad area, I just don't feel it's for me. So, here's a little bit of info about me, and hopefully I can get an idea of where I should live.

- Sports, sports, and more sports! Specifically major league, such as NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.

- Not really religious. I don't care what the people around me believe in, as long as they don't push their religion on me.

- Not real political, but I guess I'd consider myself to be more liberal. Once again, I don't really care if people around me are conservative, as long as they don't push their beliefs on me.

- Hate long, cold weathers. I can put up with it for a little while, but I'd prefer a warmer climate. It doesn't have to be tropical, but I don't want to live in a place where it can get to 20 degrees or below.

- Obviously I don't want to live in a city with tons of crime, but as long as I can walk around during the day without fear, I'll be okay.

- An area that's at least somewhat close to the beach (1-1.5 hrs. away at most).

If any city comes to mind, let me know! I thought of a few cities, but I've never been to many of them so I have no idea if they will fit my liking. I've been thinking of cities such as: Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Kansas City, New Orleans, Birmingham, Denver, Charlotte, and pretty much anywhere, besides Miami, in Florida.

Thanks.
Places that come to mind to me are San Diego, Austin, St Petersburg, FL, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Houston, and Atlanta. Let me try to come up with a quick pros/subjectives/cons

San Diego
Pros- Near perfect climate, very low crime rate for it's size (SD County ranks around the natl. average), moderate leaning political scene, nightlife potential, beautiful scenery
Subjective/neutral- Large Spanish speaking population, large homeless population
Cons- Prohibitively high cost of living. Professional sports teams are further north. Atrocious traffic. Singles scene is very, very plastic.

Austin
Pros- Vibrant nightlife, great singles scene, relatively safe, live and let live type attitude
Subjectives/neutral- Sizzling hot summer, political scene drifts towards liberal
Cons- Too far from the beach, lack of sports

St Petersburg
Pros- Very close to the beach, walkable downtown area, cost of living is moderate, close to Tampa
Subjective/neutral- Singles scene is about average, sizzling hot Florida summer
Cons- Crime rate is high in some areas, not a great sports scene, a little worn looking/rest belt-ish even

Ft. Lauderdale
Pros- Great beaches, great nightlife, amenities of a larger city in a smaller package, close to Miami but fairly far from it's problems, close to Miami sports teams, moderate political scene/drifts liberal
Subjective/Neutral- Crime rate is similar to other cities, sizzling hot Florida summer, very diverse lacking an ethnic majority
Cons- Plasticky singles scene, lots of "weird" sleazy neighborhoods (there is a vibe in spots that you can't pick up elsewhere, and it's a trashy one), high cost of living, poor job market

Houston
Pros- Not too far from the beach, good singles scene, "world at your fingertips" feeling to it, some sports
Subjective/Neutral- Can have a religious tendency, although very tolerant. Sizzling hot Florida summer, except times about three. Very diverse, and almost kum-by-yah-ish in parts.
Cons- Maddening traffic. High crime in some spots. Close by beaches are not of the best quality.

Atlanta
Pros- Great singles scene, decent club scene, low cost of living, some sports teams
Subjective/neutral- It can get cold in the winter
Cons- High crime all over the metro, maddening traffic, sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. Long drive to the beach (you would make a day trip out of it).

I think all of those could be good options depending on your career.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-19-2008 at 10:32 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 05:25 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,333 times
I'm going to agree with those that said San Diego. Safe, on the beach, pro sports(and if you get tired of NFL and MLB, LA is 2 hours away with lots of sports and TONS to do!), great weather(DEFINATLY wont get as cold as you said you disliked) etc.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:13 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT. View Post

Thanks.
With all the criteria you listed the ones I highlighted would definitely be bad for you. Trust me. Birmingham's nightlife is negligible. There really isn't a nightlife anywhere in Oklahoma. Kansas City......well.............and Dallas and Houston........well........!!!!!!!

Go to San Diego like they said. It might work out for you. But it all depends on the cost. You might find it too expensive.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
With all the criteria you listed the ones I highlighted would definitely be bad for you. Trust me. Birmingham's nightlife is negligible. There really isn't a nightlife anywhere in Oklahoma. Kansas City......well.............and Dallas and Houston........well........!!!!!!!

Go to San Diego like they said. It might work out for you. But it all depends on the cost. You might find it too expensive.
I'm sorry. I'm a former studio musician, and I can tell you that this is total baloney. It's not Nashville, but when I moved here, I was pretty amazed at the caliber of the music scene. There's pretty much something going on all the time, especially in that stretch between the beginning of April and the end of June, and September-December.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
I'll throw another recommendation for San Diego. It's fits all of your criteria pretty much. It's very safe for a city its size, can't beat the weather unless you like 4 seasons. Good nightlife and singles scene, very good looking women too. MLB and NFL teams. NBA and NHL teams are in LA and Orange County about 1-1.5 hours away. Southern CA is kind of apathetic to politics, no one will shove into your face here. And of course there are really nice beaches. Cost of housing is high but going down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.