Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:39 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,690,836 times

Advertisements

Neither also. I don't care for Southern states in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 08:58 AM

409 posts, read 1,236,781 times
I couldn't live in West Virginia. I mean ..... they won't let me - I have way too many teeth

Old 12-22-2006, 09:17 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
My top three:

WV--Slatyfork, Thomas or Davis
VA--Harrisburg
NC--Brevard/Ashville or possibly Boone

Why? Mountain biking.

I'm neutral on TN and KY.

Would not live in SC, GA, or AL.

Last edited by plaidmom; 12-22-2006 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-22-2006, 10:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
And I'm the total opposite of everyone else. I'd pick South Carolina, Alabama or Georgia. Georgia 3rd. Why? Because I live in Dallas, Texas and have all of my 40+ years have I lived in the greater Dallas metroplex. It has changed so much, seen lots of changes from the large influxes of people from all over. Some of the changes are good, some not so good. I preferred my much slower pace of life where even in a city like Dallas one can still see someone they know or knows their family anytime they go out. I don't like traffic and crowds, therefore I live on the less "popular" side of the metroplex (ya'll can have McKinney, Allen, Frisco, Plano, Southlake, etc). And since at times it seems I'm one of the last natives it becomes like a foreign land to me, my hometown seems foreign. So I'd have to go w/ South Carolina and Alabama first as they are not "hot spots" attracting those that are constantly seeking something better and never finding it and moving on to the next "hot spot". Georgia would be third but it would not be the Atlanta area. Just my opinion. Besides, I have roots in all of those states but I know more about those three and Virginia. I want to visit Jamestown, VA sometime as in my research I found our ancestors helped establish it.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:00 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Well, you can by by my name North Carolina is first choice!
then after that

Eastern Tenn.
South Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Georgia
Alabama
Kentucky

I would want to live as close to the mountains in any of these states as I can

Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 PM

569 posts, read 1,228,753 times
Outer Banks, NC
North Mytrle Beach, SC
Savannah, GA
Arlington, VA
western TN
western KY
north WV
Alabama

Old 12-22-2006, 01:04 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
If you could live in either tennessee, kentucky, west virginia, virginia,
north carolina, south carolina, georgia, or alabama.

which state, then which city would you choose & why.

if you wouldn't want to live in any of those places then why wouldn't you.

Tennessee- Lived in the Clarksburg, TN for 3 years. Could not stand it. Trashy, Bars, and Used Cars. Moving forward 20 years, I was in the area a few months ago and noticed much improvement.
I spend many a night in the Chattanooga and Knoxville areas. I will give prop's to both. Knoxville is a nice city with nice people. Would recommend the Knoxville area to anyone.
Tennessee is a good state for Real Estate Pricing and no income tax. The sales tax stinks though.

Kentucky - Louisville is growing by leaps and bounds. The city and county area is up to 700,000 population now. Lexington is nice.

North Carolina - Like the Mount Airy location. Old Mayberry is Andy Griffiths home town. Nice Place
I would not move to NC due to the overall growth in the central part of the state, plus NC has the highest tax burden of any southern state. NC aka as North Taxalina.

South Carolina- Outside of the Hilton Head area I am not much of a fan of SC. Granted it does have nice locations and good beaches but it can be a rough state. Columbia and Myrtle Beach has some large crime issues.

Alabama- Spend a lot of time in B'ham, Montgomery, and H'ville. Northern Alabama is a very nice area. Huntsville is great. Not a fan of southern Alabama.

Virginia-
Lived in Richmond for 2 years and Fredericksburg for 1. Would recommend Lynchburg, Bedford, Appomattox, Roanoke, and the Ameila areas. Northern Va is now a DC burb with traffic, crime, and all the other big city ammenities.

West By God Virginia- My native home. Born, Raised, and lived there for 26 years. WV is a very beautiful Mid-Atlantic state, though job prospects are low. Overall WV ranks #13 nationwide in taxation and is not senior friendly. Lack of medical care is also an issue. Tucker County is one of the best areas of the state.
Martinsburg, where I grew up was nice in the 70's and prior. When they opened up the MARC train from DC to M'burg it went on a slippery slope to heell. Bubble level real estate prices with no infrastructure and a high crime rate.

Georgia-
Live here now. Georgia is the NJ of the South, at least the Atlanta area. Only difference is the low quality of restaurants. GA is the 3rd fastest growing state in the nation. The Atlanta metroplex is now home to 5 million folks. It's crowded and getting more so everyday.

Now, to rank the Southern States if I had a choice to move tomorrow providing a job was not an issue:

1) Kentucky
2) Tennessee
3) Georgia
4) Alabama (North)
5) Virginia
6) West Virginia
7) North Carolina (Western)
8) South Carolina (Hilton Head area)

I have to admit, if someone came to me tomorrow and offered a home of my choice, money as no object, etc., my hiney would be heading to Vermont.
Not that I do not like the South, but the area is no longer "The South" it is more in less a stopping point for the NE US, Mexico, and the rest of the world. Basically, it does not have any identity and even with the abundant diversity, lacks culture. In Georgia, I feel that folks coming in are just "stopping" for awhile. If fast food chains, box marts, and look alike developments are your cup of tea then today's New South is for you.

Good Luck

Old 12-22-2006, 01:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
1. Kentucky
2. Virginia
3. West Virginia
4. North Carolina
5. Georgia
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
8. South Carolina

Old 12-22-2006, 06:00 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,397 times
Need affordable home I think you should concentrate on raising your income first. 200k IS NOT a lot for a house.

Jobs like nursing pay like 60 or 70k and you could get that house of your dreams in a place like Georgia. Hell you could be a truck driver. Maybe your husband/wife depending on your gender could work too and your combined income would put you in the range. You need a combined income of like 50 or 60k for that house which is totally doable. Of course people at low end levels of income -- single secretaries, construction workers, etc have difficulty affording an actual house.

Avoid West Virginia the wages are low low low and the economy is crap. Dont just look at the cheapest house you can find look at making money in that area. Sounds like you could use your time better to make money.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:03 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,526 times
-Tennessee (middle and east)...only because it's beautiful and I'm more familiar with it -- grew up in TN; housing in most areas is very reasonable; sales tax is higher in TN (up to 9.75%) but RX's exempt;. Only personal inc. tax is stock dividends and interest.

-Georgia (north & northwest-- Dahlonega area, also Cloudland Canyon area); beautiful country; you can still get reasonably priced housing; GA has personal inc. tax.

-NC (western) -- also beautiful, but some are not very welcoming to Florida evacuees! I do have friends there, however; NC also has a personal inc. tax; and real and personal property taxes based on 100% of value. Housing is getting very expensive.

-KY - Not particularly familiar with KY, but the areas north of Nashville are beautiful -- horse country is gorgeous! Have Personal Inc. Tax but other taxes seem reasonable

-SC -- maybe the areas in the foothills, nearer to NC; not familiar with housing costs

-VA - Only traveled thru VA once or twice - lovely but too cold.
-WV- I don't think I've ever been in WV...weird.

-AL - The only part of AL I'd consider is NE...

Good tax info for all states at: http://www.retirementliving.com/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.