Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:28 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You are right about the low end and I happen to be in it. Any opinions about Decatur or Cullman Alabama? Is there any good affordable safe city in Georgia with houses as affordable as those two AL. cities? How safe is knoxville, TN? I dont know much about the Carolinas, anything affordable there?
Well I remember you mentioned paradise would never get above 70 F.

All the places you mentioned I'm interested in because they stay above 70 F at least half the year.

BTW I hear Knoxville is nice.
However there are many places in the U.S. where 70 F plus is unusual, just not in the South.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-24-2006 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 11:03 AM

8 posts, read 7,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I am self employed and will be making more and more as the years go by. Jobs dont pay well, I can make as much as jobs are paying me and I have an AA college degree! Im done with college and happy to be my own boss.
$200k may be a good price in south Florida but its a very high price in many other locations. I am not interested in a wife, I want to live alone and have the house for myself.

You are right about the low end and I happen to be in it. Any opinions about Decatur or Cullman Alabama? Is there any good affordable safe city in Georgia with houses as affordable as those two AL. cities? How safe is knoxville, TN? I dont know much about the Carolinas, anything affordable there?
You want to live alone? That sounds a little depressing, even if I knew it anyway. As for the Carolinas, apparently not expensive but they will probably BECOME expensive soon, so I guess you should avoid.

BTW: If your paradise is truly below 70 you might as well not go further south then basically New York, Connecticut, etc. Even there it will be hot in the summer.

I still advise you to stop looking at all the cheapest cities in states you don't know about. A better route - like I do - is just ask for cities/states that fit your "wish list". Make a thread with a list of critera and people will start giving you locales.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 49,593 times
I am from the south, but enough is enough. The heat, the traffic, the I'll get mine, but the heck with the other person mentality is too much. Comfortable in their prejudice is what I would call it, whether it is political or social. The US Census statistics show the level of education in the traditional south is the lowest in the country, levels of sucide the highest.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:21 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverguy View Post
I am from the south, but enough is enough. The heat, the traffic, the I'll get mine, but the heck with the other person mentality is too much. Comfortable in their prejudice is what I would call it, whether it is political or social.

The US Census statistics show the level of education in the traditional south is the lowest in the country, levels of sucide the highest.
The first part didn't surprise me too much but the second part did...

"I'll get mine", is that a separate idea from "heck with the other person mentality"?
If so what does that mean?

I previously heard rumours that Michigan had the highest suicide rate, partly because it's one of the most overcast states.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:25 PM

91 posts, read 152,082 times
florida, because it is close to my family, hawaii, because it NEVER snows or has temps lower than 50 degrees.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Well I remember you mentioned paradise would never get above 70 F.

All the places you mentioned I'm interested in because they stay above 70 F at least half the year.

BTW I hear Knoxville is nice.
However there are many places in the U.S. where 70 F plus is unusual, just not in the South.

There arent alot of places that stay below 70 and stay above 0. Any places with such utopian climate is very expensive(CA, OR, WA) A mountain midwest state could be my best bet. Id buy a cabin in the mountains to live in the summer and buy a house in the valley to live in the winter or when it gets cold. Of course it has to be affordable, if everyone wants a cabin and all those mountain views it wont be cheap.

Hey Kevin, yes I want to live alone but not isolated from civilization. Anyone that wants to be near me can be my neighboor. I will check the Carolinas for any affordable town/city. Im making a list of cities and states that are affordable and not insanely crime.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:46 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverguy View Post
I am from the south, but enough is enough. The heat, the traffic, the I'll get mine, but the heck with the other person mentality is too much. Comfortable in their prejudice is what I would call it, whether it is political or social. The US Census statistics show the level of education in the traditional south is the lowest in the country, levels of sucide the highest.
I am also from (and live in) the south. "Comfortable in their prejudice..., wheather it's political or social". Specifically what do you mean? Prejudice resides only in the south? Is this true "prejudice", or just not agreeing with your views constitues prejudice? I'm not trying to be a jerk, just that I find that to be the case many times when such blanket statements are made. I know many conservatives, liberals, in-betweens, and those of other races and don't see what you seem to be seeing.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:44 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
If you could live in either tennessee, kentucky, west virginia, virginia,
north carolina, south carolina, georgia, or alabama.

which state, then which city would you choose & why.

if you wouldn't want to live in any of those places then why wouldn't you.

I'm contemplating on making a move somewere to the southeast & just curious what some of the answers, or winners & losers might be.

or just for shirts and grins list in order 1-8 which would be your most favorable to least favorable.

my choice would be middle to eastern tn, allthough wv is really nice but too darn cold.

thanks.
Just my personal preferences. Think everyone should live someplace that's suitable for who they are and what they like to do so they don't move someplace and try to change it after they arrive.

I would like to and will live in Tennessee within 5 months. I have found a place that in retirement will keep me very busy for the things I plan to do. Beautiful places are nearby. I like the people. I want to live in a conservative suburban environment of nerds (like me) with nature a stone's throw away. I do not want to live within a planned community of retirees.

Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina are too hot and would not even be considered by me because of the heat. They may have everything going for them in other areas but I'm sweating just thinking about their summers. I'm just a heat wuss - nothing wrong with those states - but I feel the heat would prevent me from doing things I like to do.

North Carolina is too full of liberal transplants from big northern cities who are currently turning what once was a lovely state into another *rappy Florida. Please don't let Tennessee be next.

Northern Virginia is the pits. It's one big cluster-rhymes-with-truck of traffic. It's also, in my opinion, full of undesirables (terrorists-in-waiting, illegals, gangs, other assorted jackals...and that doesn't even include the politicians) and is too close to DC for comfort. I would not feel safe in Northern Virginia (in traffic or on the street). As far as the rest of the state goes, the trip down I-81 (western part of the state) is lovely...but it's still too close to DC for me. And they have too many rules (and taxes) for everything. So, NO to Virginia. Oh yeah, I don't like the smirker they just elected to the senate but I didn't like the guy that came before him, either.

I think West Virginia is lovely but there isn't enough for me to do there in retirement unless I lived in a larger city and I don't want to do that. I enjoy visiting the state, though, and I do it now.

Kentucky is an okay place. Just doesn't grab me enough to make me want to live there when I'm at a point in my life where I don't have to live any place in particular because of work.

Soooooo,

1. Tennessee
2. All the rest

Last edited by LauraC; 12-25-2006 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-25-2006, 02:50 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
Well so far virginia is way in the lead, tn comin in second, with ky and nc bringing up the rear.

poor ga,al,sc,wv don't look so good

lets break it down a little more into sections, say from nashville east & south tn, then the southwestern part of va, from roanoke west & south.

I figured tn would be in the lead with lower taxes & housing, wonder how tn vs. va compares in taxes(property,income), i think they also tax personal property too.

are housing costs comparable in both.

mayby even touch on weather issues, i think tn would get less snow than va but i could be wrong.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:49 PM

413 posts, read 2,561,203 times
Default Heat isnt so bad - Trade offs

Need affordable home -- hmm so you want two houses now instead of one. Thats not going to be realistic you are out of your mind. Except for the west coast or Colorado etc or a place where it is really cold in the winter like Wisconsin or Maine it is going to get hot. Hell it gets hot in Chicago or Minneapolis and it gets cold as hell there too. Southern heat is more sustained and for a longer point but there is such things as air conditioning, mountains, pools, cold drinks, and shade. Maybe you would like southern/western Virginia like Lynchburg, Richmond, Roanoake. There is eastern Tennessee- Nashville, Bristol, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and mountains in south Carolina/Georgia -- Spartanburg, Greenville to name a few. Texas is a wonderful affordable place but you dont like heat thats a toughie. Theres the Ozarks but they arent as high up -- Branson, Joplin, Springfield Missouri.

Everyplace there are trades offs but I think you would find that the affordable homes, nicest people, and lifestyle are found in the heat. People in the south play baseball all summer long, they work on cars, they swim, they play outside, and most likely many of them work all week in an air conditioned building. At night its somewhat cooler outdoors but not a whole lot-- I like it-- its still like 75 degrees but its nice. You are going to have to make some "tradeoffs" or learn to like what you can afford. Its like a dog going on a leash for a walk-- he can either pull, bark, and fight and have a miserable time or he can accept it and try to enjoy the walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.