Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 02:03 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times

Advertisements

What do you think?

As for me...

California: I believe it should be split between North California and South California, separated by the 36th parallel. They're climatically, culturally and geographically distinct regions, and both would be unusually populated states on their own. I would propose Barstow as South California's capital.

Florida Keys: Unlike most of the U.S., most of its residents are not English-speakers. Again, it's geographically, culturally and climatically distinct. I would propose Key West as its capital.

Michigan: The two peninsulas are, once again, very different. This time, the two also have only a single physical connection, which is toll, so splitting between North Michigan and South Michigan would make more sense. I would propose Ishpeming as North Michigan's capital.

Texas: Huge geographical and cultural differences between opposite ends of the state. I would propose the boundary between East Texas and West Texas as the -100th meridian and Lubbock as West Texas's capital.

Louisville: This metro area deserves to be freed from the two states it's in, both of which are too conservative for it.

Memphis: This metro area deserves to be freed from the three states it's in, all of which are too conservative for it. Also, it's geographically, climatically and culturally distinct from the rest of Tennessee.

Last edited by mjlo; 11-19-2019 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 04:01 PM

724 posts, read 559,376 times
I believe the Senate wouldn't want to dilute their own power by adding more states.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:19 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I believe the Senate wouldn't want to dilute their own power by adding more states.
I do agree. In fact, I believe some states could actually be MERGED as well, such as CT/RI, AL/MS, MD/DE and NH/VT. 2 Sens. per state is very unfair when Wyoming has so few people and California so many.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:30 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Just return the Upper Peninsula to Wisconsin which it’s much more physically connected to anyway. There’s no point in making the UP it’s own state, there’s no way it would be self supporting. It’s about to drop below 300k people in population which would make it the least populated state by a significant margin, but without any significant economic drivers, or population centers, and a steadily declining population.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:50 PM

128 posts, read 143,356 times
I always thought it would be good for southern Louisiana to separate from the rest of the state. The state, "South Louisiana", would include the 22 Acadiana parishes (shown here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia...rishes_map.png), plus the metro New Orleans parishes of Orleans, Jefferson, St Bernard, and Plaquemines.

This part of the state was historically French-speaking (and very Catholic). People there have tried to promote the French language, but Louisianans and their political leaders from the north of the state and the Florida parishes often don't lend a lot of support. Residents of a separate "South Louisiana" would be more able (maybe) to rally public resources in the defense and promotion of the French language and Louisiana Francophone culture.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
I recently made a thread about this considering a boundary adjustment to Kansas, Missouri and Illinois and people on here seemed to decidedly think it was a bad idea. I doubt many people will like splitting states either on here. People seem to be pretty hesitant to move things around and bring change, despite it being a rational decision that would probably benefit both sides.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:26 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Just return the Upper Peninsula to Wisconsin which it’s much more physically connected to anyway. There’s no point in making the UP it’s own state, there’s no way it would be self supporting. It’s about to drop below 300k people in population which would make it the least populated state by a significant margin, but without any significant economic drivers, or population centers, and a steadily declining population.

Michigan can keep the UP....thanks, though.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
What do you think?

As for me...

California: I believe it should be split between North California and South California, separated by the 36th parallel. They're climatically, culturally and geographically distinct regions, and both would be unusually populated states on their own. I would propose Barstow as South California's capital.

Florida Keys: Unlike most of the U.S., most of its residents are not English-speakers. Again, it's geographically, culturally and climatically distinct. I would propose Key West as its capital.

Michigan: The two peninsulas are, once again, very different. This time, the two also have only a single physical connection, which is toll, so splitting between North Michigan and South Michigan would make more sense. I would propose Ishpeming as North Michigan's capital.

Texas: Huge geographical and cultural differences between opposite ends of the state. I would propose the boundary between East Texas and West Texas as the -100th meridian and Lubbock as West Texas's capital.

Louisville: This metro area deserves to be freed from the two states it's in, both of which are too conservative for it.

Memphis: This metro area deserves to be freed from the three states it's in, all of which are too conservative for it. Also, it's geographically, climatically and culturally distinct from the rest of Tennessee.
Barstow? Now, that is funny. If this split ever occurred, (and it won't), I would choose Riverside as capital of South California, mainly due to its central location in SoCal. North California would probably retain Sacramento.

I actually tinkered with maps on this very proposal. I chose a line from the southern boundaries of these counties: Monterey, Kings, Tulare, Inyo. This would mean a much larger land area in N. CA, but a much bigger population in S. CA.

Pie in the sky.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-19-2019 at 06:39 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 06:19 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
States that should Split.
Alaska
Alabama
Arizona
California
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Iowa
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Michigan
Montana
Nevada
New York
Oklahoma
Ohio
Nebraska
North Carolina
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Virginia
Washington

Some states are too big
OR some states look better a square or rectangle so cut off those appendages like Oklahoma
And others I just dont like. Just split them.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:46 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
Sea level rise is changing the coastlines. Louisiana may lose so much land that what is left merges with neighbors. Florida and Delaware may be flooded off the map.

Splitting California is an easy call, since it's huge and the north side has petitioned for it, complete with the name of Jefferson. Michigan's Upper Peninsula is mostly low swampy land, but the low population could still be enough for statehood after the end of the USA, when Michigan is in some smaller nation with smaller states. Or Canada may annex it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.