U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LIRR vs NJ Transit
LIRR 4 33.33%
NJ Transit 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 12:05 PM

59,678 posts, read 57,171,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I personally love Asbury Park. I haven't been to Long Branch yet, but heard good things. Same with Belmar. I've been to Point Pleasant by car since I was coming from Philly, so I can't comment on whether the long ride there is worth it, but I do like Point Pleasant also.
Long Branch was one of the first resort towns on the Jersey Shore back in the 19th century, but it had fallen down. I knew a woman, an alcoholic, who was living in an abandoned house that's approximately where Pier Village is now.

It still has a crappy drug/crime section, but it's getting smaller. The city has really made a comeback.

Sandy took out the old mile-long boardwalk, but they finally rebuilt it a few years ago, and it's very nice, with modern, clean restrooms and food stands. They also did beach replenishment after Sandy.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:15 PM

7,466 posts, read 14,500,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Long Branch was one of the first resort towns on the Jersey Shore back in the 19th century, but it had fallen down. I knew a woman, an alcoholic, who was living in an abandoned house that's approximately where Pier Village is now.

It still has a crappy drug/crime section, but it's getting smaller. The city has really made a comeback.

Sandy took out the old mile-long boardwalk, but they finally rebuilt it a few years ago, and it's very nice, with modern, clean restrooms and food stands. They also did beach replenishment after Sandy.
Yeah I've heard great things about Long Branch. Maybe for a casual beach day I'll try that out. But the restaurants/bars in Asbury and Point Pleasant is a draw for me.

This is one of the reasons why I voted for NJT, though. LIRR doesn't really give as great access to the LI beaches because most stations are across the bays on the mainland. I think only Long Beach can be used for direct beach access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I personally love Asbury Park. I haven't been to Long Branch yet, but heard good things. Same with Belmar. I've been to Point Pleasant by car since I was coming from Philly, so I can't comment on whether the long ride there is worth it, but I do like Point Pleasant also.
My favorite thing in Asbury Park is the Silverball Museum. It's got about 200 pinball machines dating from the '50s to the '00s. You pay by the hour and get a wristband and just play as much as you want. They have other old arcade games, too.

It's cool. They do birthday parties and fundraisers for charity events, or you can just go in and play.

https://www.silverballmuseum.com/asbury-park/

Old 11-26-2019, 09:58 PM

569 posts, read 262,168 times
why skipped Metro North? Big three commuter lines in NYC metro area. Weschester County NY and Connecticut are important part of metro.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:36 AM

21,718 posts, read 31,587,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
LIRR runs 24 hours. I believe NJT does not.

But overall I think NJT is more extensive as the PATH goes to downtown NYC & NJT has trains that go to the NJ suburbs which are part of the Philly metro I believe.
PATH is not part of NJ Transit and operates as a separate agency, the Port Authority of NY and NJ.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
why skipped Metro North? Big three commuter lines in NYC metro area. Weschester County NY and Connecticut are important part of metro.
Well, probably because the OP was talking about a) Penn Station, and b) access to downtown Manhattan, and c) the choice between LI and NJ.

MetroNorth, as you know, currently goes only into Grand Central Terminal, although the Penn Station Access project is underway, so eventually it will go to Penn.

Downtown from GCT is not bad--the 4/5 is a straight shot to Wall Street.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
PATH is not part of NJ Transit and operates as a separate agency, the Port Authority of NY and NJ.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:30 PM

6,155 posts, read 3,954,012 times
Back when I had occasion to use both systems in a semi-regular basis (we're looking back into the 1980s here), I would go with LIRR for sure. Their system felt much more like a heavy-rail subway, with high platforms, third rail (less prone to failure than overhead catenary), wide doors that were more evenly spaced along the length of the train (instead of being bunched up at the ends of each car), grade-separated right-of-way (at least on the Babylon line, which is the one I rode most often), and in general a more reliable feel. The cars themselves felt nicer too, with larger windows for a better view. Not having to share the overcrowded Hudson River tunnel with Amtrak is a plus as well.

As to which system would be better now, I don't know. I haven't used either one of them in years.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Back when I had occasion to use both systems in a semi-regular basis (we're looking back into the 1980s here), I would go with LIRR for sure. Their system felt much more like a heavy-rail subway, with high platforms, third rail (less prone to failure than overhead catenary), wide doors that were more evenly spaced along the length of the train (instead of being bunched up at the ends of each car), grade-separated right-of-way (at least on the Babylon line, which is the one I rode most often), and in general a more reliable feel. The cars themselves felt nicer too, with larger windows for a better view. Not having to share the overcrowded Hudson River tunnel with Amtrak is a plus as well.

As to which system would be better now, I don't know. I haven't used either one of them in years.
Well, the NJ Transit system isn't all catenary. Some lines run on diesel.

The platforms vary as to whether they are flush with the doors or not, and some will likely be upgraded. For example, I took the train (diesel) from Ridgewood on the Bergen County line for years, and recently had occasion to take the train to and from there again. The station re-do at Ridgewood has brought the platforms up, which is very nice.

The newer NJT cars do have the doors in the middle. There seems to be a few left that don't.

That tunnel is still a problem.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:25 AM

7,229 posts, read 10,210,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm curious. I just came back from Penn Station. I haven't personally used NJ Transit but I did use the LIRR. I didn't realize how extensive it was. I'm wondering which is the better and overall more extensive form of public transit. Or for that matter which provides more direct access to DT Manhattan. I realize this could be important in deciding whether to live in Long Island or North Jersey.
I am used to the LIRR, which is an excellent system to get back and forth to Manhattan. I am less certain about NJ Transit which is confusing because it is an interesting hodgepodge of former railroad companies cobbled together like the Delaware Lackawanna, the Erie RR and the Jersey Central.

Here maybe a possible long term factor for folks trying to decide between NJ Transit or the LIRR to get to the City. The Long Island Railroad is run by New York State and of course NYC is in New York State. So obviously New York is going to consider funding the LIRR (and Metro North) as important in-state projects.

At the same time NJ Transit is run by the State of New Jersey which someday may have different spending priorities then enabling some of its residents to work in a city in another state. I guess btw that would apply to NY Transit service to Philadelphia as well as New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or