Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 07:25 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,905,929 times

Advertisements

If a city is safe and clean, has predictable, mild weather, and is relatively new, it's automatically dismissed as "boring."

It doesn't matter if that city has world-class dining, incredible ethnic diversity, mountains, proximity to the ocean, a decent high-rise skyline, dozens of miles of hiking and mountain biking trails, a prestigious research university, an enormous luxury mall complete with Moroccan arcthitecture, and is actually (surprise) is politically, solidly blue.

It's simply dismissed as boring.

On the other hand, that ghetto town with old, rickety houses, a couple bars, pot dispensaries, and brutal winters--EXCITING! Even if there's no ethnic diversity, no college, no luxury malls, no special architecture, no high rises, no hills, no dining better than a McDonald's, and far from the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 07:32 AM

7,100 posts, read 8,868,469 times
People like different things in a city.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:15 AM

3,551 posts, read 3,016,081 times
Your description sounds like its a place that is meant to appeal to rich people. There certainly is more to these cities than your description, but to someone who has never visited before it sounds like the kind of place where there is little that I can do on my budget or within my means, or that I am interested in. I can look at the mountain and ocean - but if you don't surf or hike, the appeal of a year-round suntan doesn't go very far.

People like variety, and "differences" both from where they are from, and within the region.

Also, if your attitude that other people's homes are "ghetto" is shared by other locals, it seems like it can be a demeaning place to be for visitors who interact with them.

I could do without people and places where the residents go "ewwwww" when I say where I am from.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:46 AM

7,100 posts, read 8,868,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Your description sounds like its a place that is meant to appeal to rich people. There certainly is more to these cities than your description, but to someone who has never visited before it sounds like the kind of place where there is little that I can do on my budget or within my means, or that I am interested in. I can look at the mountain and ocean - but if you don't surf or hike, the appeal of a year-round suntan doesn't go very far.

People like variety, and "differences" both from where they are from, and within the region.

Also, if your attitude that other people's homes are "ghetto" is shared by other locals, it seems like it can be a demeaning place to be for visitors who interact with them.

I could do without people and places where the residents go "ewwwww" when I say where I am from.
I was in the Jacksonville airport a few weeks ago and told the guy in casual conversation that I was from St. Louis. He said that is a **** hole of a place and that he didnt go to places like that. I responded with a hard stare and told him yes you better stay away from big bad St Louis because they will kick your a$$ with that attitude.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:49 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,315,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
If a city is safe and clean, has predictable, mild weather, and is relatively new, it's automatically dismissed as "boring."

It doesn't matter if that city has world-class dining, incredible ethnic diversity, mountains, proximity to the ocean, a decent high-rise skyline, dozens of miles of hiking and mountain biking trails, a prestigious research university, an enormous luxury mallcomplete with Moroccan arcthitecture, and is actually (surprise) is politically, solidly blue.

It's simply dismissed as boring.

On the other hand, that ghetto town with old, rickety houses, a couple bars, pot dispensaries, and brutal winters--EXCITING! Even if there's no ethnic diversity, no college, no luxury malls, no special architecture, no high rises, no hills, no dining better than a McDonald's, and far from the ocean.
The bolded points are turnoffs to some people. Careful.

To the latter, it's basically a fad for the younger millenials to latch on to. Ghettoism with grit and "bones" for whatever reason equates to excitement. Whatever. I'll take sterile and "boring" over looking over my back with people harassing me for drug money 24/7.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:09 AM

724 posts, read 551,962 times
There aren't boring places, just boring people.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:22 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,667,795 times
I like old houses, special architecture, brutal winters, and clean safe cities all in one. They do exist.
Warmer places with new housing can often feel as unsafe (often worse) than gritty old places up north.
Any place can be interesting or boring. Just depends on what you do with it.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:33 PM

3,080 posts, read 2,144,825 times
Some people may find places boring if they are overly familiar, regardless of their desirability. This is especially true of young adults who have limited life experiences and are itching to spread their wings. Their perspective may change with more maturity.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:23 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Even if there's no ethnic diversity, no college, no luxury malls, no special architecture, no high rises, no hills, no dining better than a McDonald's, and far from the ocean.
I can't think of a single city that meets these criteria, much less one that anyone considers exciting.

Why don't you make a list, based on your own criteria listed above.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:17 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,846,657 times
I feel like at least part of this is social signaling. If I say that I'm from or prefer living in a large, urban, dangerous, down-on-its-luck city, I'm subtly communicating that I have the street smarts to handle myself in those environments, I'm interesting and unpredictable, I'm open to new or strange art/music/cuisines, I've probably been in a fight or two, I'm not intimidated by crowds, I probably have connections (however tangential) to "important" people, and so on.

I think especially for men, being a gritty urban-ite in this sense can make you more attractive --- you're the same kind of man who on the prairies would've been a fearless hunter and gatherer who had connections to other tribes.

Also, I think this is one reason people from certain older, large, legacy cities make a big deal about whether you're from the city or the suburbs ("you're not from Chicago, you're from Naperville!"). It allows them to distinguish themselves as having the true, gritty, urban experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.