Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 07:41 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Over 1/4 of valuation of the US stock market is Bay Area companies. We certainly have tried all we can in California to create onerous regulations, ridiculous rules, and other things to chase business away, but the innovative atmosphere is hard to match. I feel it when I go back east now, even NY can feel old school and conventional in terms of business thinking.
I think California and the Bay Area have a lot of problems to deal with. Namely, San Francisco...not so much the other cities in the Bay Area. San Francisco is the largest city in the Bay Area, but not the most important, I don't believe....at least, per capita. And, the other Bay Area cities are, luckily, free of the homeless issue that's bogging SF down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 05:10 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I think California and the Bay Area have a lot of problems to deal with. Namely, San Francisco...not so much the other cities in the Bay Area. San Francisco is the largest city in the Bay Area, but not the most important, I don't believe....at least, per capita. And, the other Bay Area cities are, luckily, free of the homeless issue that's bogging SF down.
SF is neither the most populated nor the physically largest city in the Bay Area.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:54 AM

6,705 posts, read 6,707,372 times
Quote:

Yes, here east of the Oakland Hills (15-25 miles from DT SF), the climate is amazing, year round outdoor tennis/golf, less windy and foggy, green in the winter, and a real summer with highs in the 80s unlike SF. It's like LA but with more rain to support more plant life. We also don't have the homeless/poop issues.

That said, SF is absolutely the economic engine here. All the high paying jobs are there.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:57 AM

6,705 posts, read 6,707,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
SF is neither the most populated nor the physically largest city in the Bay Area.
During this decade, most of the venture funding has shifted to the city though. Up until 2010, the South Bay (aka Silicon Valley) raised more VC than the city, that shifted throughout the decade and now SF startups are outraising South Bay startups 2 to 1.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:16 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post

Firms know that in the intense battle for talent, they have to be in the types of cities (superstar cities) that attract top talent. And top talent likes going to where they can max out their pay. But, also interestingly, when high-paying jobs are created, they also produce this service-job ripple effect because now there is more demand (from the new highly-paid knowledge worker) for people like servers, bartenders, yoga teachers, babysitters, food delivery guys, etc. The problem is that these service workers are paid poorly. But they go to these superstar cities anyway because it's still better than what they could get in their hometown of Billings, Montana or Zanesville, Ohio.

I'm also a bit of a conspiracy theorist, so I think this is all part of the rich capitalists' plans. Destroy the middle class, place 90% of them in ****ty McJobs solely designed to service the highly-paid smart people with their advanced degrees who will use their smart brains to keep the billionaires as billionaires (while being allowed to at least make enough to take care of their families and take comfort that well at least they're not one of the McJob-havers).

It's also why cities like NYC have such excellent public transit systems. Those were built to allow the poor to shuttle in everyday from 2+ hours away to work their ****ty McJobs (cuz otherwise, they'd just move away, and you'd have to start paying them more to keep them there). The rich don't use public transit.
The top talent also likes certain place for lifestyle, and it's often about living in urban, walkable, diverse, interesting areas with good transit. Especially with younger recruits. All the more so in industries that recruit internationally a lot, like software and biotech. Good air connections to get back home or have the parents visit are also important.

As for your conspiracy theory, you're giving people too much credit. Even if most rich people act in their own self-interest most of the time, they're thinking about their own business rather than economic-class dynamics.

As for transit, in many cities including mine (a US superstar city), a lot of six-figure earners ride, and the average income of riders is often similar to the region overall.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:28 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
I have friends who live in SF and the "homeless" issue while problematic is over hyped according to them.
They just deal with it but to hear some political pundits talk about it they make it seem like the entire city is some vast cesspool.
It is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.