Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 12:55 AM

3,532 posts, read 2,326,728 times

Advertisements

https://www.statista.com/chart/18684/us-cities-by-gdp/

The economic disparity of big cities to the "rest" of the country is astounding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 07:52 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
I wonder what percentage of the U.S. population those cities encompass...a third?

Old 11-30-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I wonder what percentage of the U.S. population those cities encompass...a third?
By metro level... I got a rough estimate of ~138 million people living within the top 25 metros. Current US population estimates put the country around 330 million, so about 42 percent of the population.

When you put into the context of Pittsburgh being the smallest city on the list and having a GDP roughly the size of Ukraine, it makes sense lol

Old 11-30-2019, 11:54 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
By metro level... I got a rough estimate of ~138 million people living within the top 25 metros. Current US population estimates put the country around 330 million, so about 42 percent of the population.

When you put into the context of Pittsburgh being the smallest city on the list and having a GDP roughly the size of Ukraine, it makes sense lol
Huh, I suppose that’s not as disparate as one might think, then.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Huh, I suppose that’s not as disparate as one might think, then.
I wasn't expecting that population ratio, kinda shows the dominance big established US cities have even relative to their surrounding areas.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:05 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I would have expected about 50% of the US population to live in the top 25 metro areas, so I'm not surprised by 42%. That is a large number of metro areas. How many other countries even have 25 large cities? Just a handful.

Almost half of Canadians live in only six metro areas.
Two-thirds of Australians live in eight metro areas.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:33 PM

166 posts, read 278,511 times
I study these kinds of demographic trends as a hobby. There's been a lot of great literature on it lately. Check out management consulting firm McKinsey's excellent in-depth report on this and why it's only going to be exacerbated over the coming decades.

Gist of it is: Due to multiple factors (there's no 1 culprit here), the US economy is dividing into two classes, with high-knowledge workers on one end and service workers on the other (since the middle class has been largely hollowed out. Automation/outsourcing has killed traditionally middle-class jobs, not low-end service jobs.)

Firms know that in the intense battle for talent, they have to be in the types of cities (superstar cities) that attract top talent. And top talent likes going to where they can max out their pay. But, also interestingly, when high-paying jobs are created, they also produce this service-job ripple effect because now there is more demand (from the new highly-paid knowledge worker) for people like servers, bartenders, yoga teachers, babysitters, food delivery guys, etc. The problem is that these service workers are paid poorly. But they go to these superstar cities anyway because it's still better than what they could get in their hometown of Billings, Montana or Zanesville, Ohio.

I'm also a bit of a conspiracy theorist, so I think this is all part of the rich capitalists' plans. Destroy the middle class, place 90% of them in ****ty McJobs solely designed to service the highly-paid smart people with their advanced degrees who will use their smart brains to keep the billionaires as billionaires (while being allowed to at least make enough to take care of their families and take comfort that well at least they're not one of the McJob-havers).

It's also why cities like NYC have such excellent public transit systems. Those were built to allow the poor to shuttle in everyday from 2+ hours away to work their ****ty McJobs (cuz otherwise, they'd just move away, and you'd have to start paying them more to keep them there). The rich don't use public transit.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:26 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:

Over 1/4 of valuation of the US stock market is Bay Area companies. We certainly have tried all we can in California to create onerous regulations, ridiculous rules, and other things to chase business away, but the innovative atmosphere is hard to match. I feel it when I go back east now, even NY can feel old school and conventional in terms of business thinking.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:29 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Over 1/4 of valuation of the US stock market is Bay Area companies. We certainly have tried all we can in California to create onerous regulations, ridiculous rules, and other things to chase business away, but the innovative atmosphere is hard to match. I feel it when I go back east now, even NY can feel old school and conventional in terms of business thinking.
San Francisco is also unique in that, generally, it doesn't get too hot nor too cold....and doesn't require driving in snow, yet is three hours or so from good skiing overlooking a beautiful lake.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:38 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:

Why wouldn't this make sense? Not astounding, at all....expected. Good for the other cities, as well, as I'm pretty sure they wouldn't exist if they didn't have something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.