Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2019, 09:48 PM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee would hardly fall into an abyss. The teams are a bonus...they're not the reason the city exists.
Not literally but their national profile would be similar to Hartford or Birmingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 12:05 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,412,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Not literally but their national profile would be similar to Hartford or Birmingham
You can’t be serious? Besides the Brewers and Bucks, they had the MLB Braves in the 1950’s & 1960’s. They also shared home games with the Green Bay Packers for 30-40 years up until the 90’s.

Unless you’re a hardcore NHL fan and know that Hartford had a team, or you’re in the insurance business, you don’t know a single thing about Hartford. I can’t image what anyone thinks of Birmingham.

I’m not from Wisconsin (I actually have roots in Michigan, Ohio, and Minnesota), but I have to call out ridiculousness when I see it.

Do you honestly think Hartford and Birmingham has the same recognition that Milwaukee has in this country and worldwide, regardless of pro franchises?

Old 12-08-2019, 02:16 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,740,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
You can’t be serious? Besides the Brewers and Bucks, they had the MLB Braves in the 1950’s & 1960’s. They also shared home games with the Green Bay Packers for 30-40 years up until the 90’s.

Unless you’re a hardcore NHL fan and know that Hartford had a team, or you’re in the insurance business, you don’t know a single thing about Hartford. I can’t image what anyone thinks of Birmingham.

I’m not from Wisconsin (I actually have roots in Michigan, Ohio, and Minnesota), but I have to call out ridiculousness when I see it.

Do you honestly think Hartford and Birmingham has the same recognition that Milwaukee has in this country and worldwide, regardless of pro franchises?
This brings up a good point. Cities that have major league sports are “heard” more often whether it is tv radio or online. The repetition means more top of mind awareness and that can be critical in how cities are perceived.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

I said if they didnt have pro franchises they’d be like Hartford or Birmingham then you list how people would know them because of their pro franchises.

I honestly don’t think anyone knows anything about Milwaukee except their pro teams and maybe Miller Beer. Likely the only thing anyone knows about Hartford is it’s a state capital.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:54 PM

567 posts, read 425,749 times
A great advantage of having pro sports teams is their involvement in the community. In LA and NY, where there are so many pro sports teams, it's important to support community causes financially and through appearances. And your sure to make the 11 o'clock news. Fans love seeing sports figures pledging money to, and visiting local schools and places like Children's Hospital of LA. Or christening new ball fields, basketball courts, ice skating rinks, and parks financed by the Dodgers, Lakes, Kings, etc.

With so many teams in one city, it's almost a competition of sorts. In Baseball the Dodgers clearly do more for the community than do the Angels. In Hockey the Kings do more than the Ducks. In Basketball I'd say it's a draw between the Lakers and Clippers who are both very involved in supporting community causes. In Football the Rams do far more community outreach than do the Chargers. And in Soccer the Galaxy and LAFC both do a good job of contributing time and money to local projects.

Last edited by Angelino19; 12-08-2019 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-08-2019, 02:04 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
I'm a fan of my local teams, but player/team donations are a pittance. Most companies and rich people give something away, but these donations are more known because of the team PR machine. If the same fan dollars went to something else, I'd assume whoever that was would donate some money too.

It's great that a player volunteers a lot and donates $50,000 to something, but it's way better when someone gives $5,000,000 or $50,000,000.

Allstate's field goal netting is annoying...they give pennies compared to the PR benefits they're getting.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:32 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,172,799 times
I'm a fan of the NHL's Hurricanes who play in Raleigh, where I was born and have family who I visit often.

Having an NHL franchise doesn't put a city on the map quite like having an NFL franchise, or even an NBA franchise, but at the same time it gives Raleigh an opportunity to be in the same league as NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Boston, Toronto, etc (Cities that also have NHL franchises). Which for a smaller city that is more known for college basketball, is pretty cool in my book. And, when the team does well like last year, it gives the city (and the Triangle as well) a chance to be showcased on a national stage for something other than ACC hoops.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 12-08-2019 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-08-2019, 06:12 PM

11,972 posts, read 7,721,914 times
Quote:
I said if they didnt have pro franchises they’d be like Hartford or Birmingham then you list how people would know them because of their pro franchises.

I honestly don’t think anyone knows anything about Milwaukee except their pro teams and maybe Miller Beer. Likely the only thing anyone knows about Hartford is it’s a state capital.
I think Hartford is pretty known for being the beginning of Red Sox nation in new england, the first major city that holds a plurality to that.

Maybe its because I live a state away but Hartford is known for a lot of things other than being a capital.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:35 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,845,551 times
Quote:

They'll probably know more next year. Oh, and Milwaukee (FYI), is known by a lot more people, I think, than you would expect. Harley Davidson is based in Milwaukee, and their festivals draw thousands from the world over, on a regular basis. So, that's one thing. Just because you don't know, doesn't mean others don't.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1920&bih=969

Oh, and Summerfest, one of the largest music festivals in the country, as well.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...WwuCYgQ4dUDCAc

There, now you know more, than Miller Beer, the Bucks (one of the very best teams in the NBA), and the Brewers.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
They'll probably know more next year. Oh, and Milwaukee (FYI), is known by a lot more people, I think, than you would expect. Harley Davidson is based in Milwaukee, and their festivals draw thousands from the world over, on a regular basis. So, that's one thing. Just because you don't know, doesn't mean others don't.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1920&bih=969

Oh, and Summerfest, one of the largest music festivals in the country, as well.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...WwuCYgQ4dUDCAc

There, now you know more, than Miller Beer, the Bucks (one of the very best teams in the NBA), and the Brewers.
Things happen in Birmingham and Hartford too. Sorry but it’s true. Milwaukee, Buffalo, OKC the teams make the city in the general public’s eye.

The only exception to the small market rule is SLC where LDS probably comes to mind first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.