Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2019, 07:41 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,025,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Recently, I was having a conversation with a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, who grew up in Pittsburgh but now lives in California. I'm a Cleveland Browns fan (I know a lot of you want to laugh), but we were having a talk about Cleveland and Pittsburgh. He replied to me, "Rust Belt is Rust Belt. It's just that Pittsburgh has a winning football team and hockey team, so it helps with the perception." I started asking myself a few questions. Does sports teams' success or failure help out a city's perception? How much do sports teams play a factor in a city's perception? Does winning or losing sports teams' play a factor at all beyond those cities? Or, am I looking at the whole thing wrong? Let me know.
YES! Sports teams can absolutely make a difference in a city’s reputation. After the JFK assassination in 1963 Dallas was known as the “city of hate” and was the most hated city in the country. The Dallas Cowboys, thanks to owner Tex Schramm, almost single-handedly helped change the perception of Dallas. Dallas no longer carries the stigma of the Kennedy assassination, and the Cowboys became “America’s Team!”

As a kid growing up I always thought Cincinnati was bigger than Cleveland because of the “Big Red Machine.” And it’s true, I thought Pittsburgh was a bigger city than Philadelphia because of the success of the Steelers.

So in my experience sports teams affect the “perception” of a city, but not the reality of a city’s greatness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 11:50 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
YES! Sports teams can absolutely make a difference in a city’s reputation. After the JFK assassination in 1963 Dallas was known as the “city of hate” and was the most hated city in the country. The Dallas Cowboys, thanks to owner Tex Schramm, almost single-handedly helped change the perception of Dallas. Dallas no longer carries the stigma of the Kennedy assassination, and the Cowboys became “America’s Team!”

As a kid growing up I always thought Cincinnati was bigger than Cleveland because of the “Big Red Machine.” And it’s true, I thought Pittsburgh was a bigger city than Philadelphia because of the success of the Steelers.

So in my experience sports teams affect the “perception” of a city, but not the reality of a city’s greatness.
Not saying Sports or Cowboys did not help Dallas. But the old 70s TV Drama with its opening of the Dallas night skyline and wealthy family with a huge home on a soaring ranch -- "DALLAS". ALSO did wonders for Dallas and for Texas in general. It was shown even in syndication ..... worldwide too.

It also had a quick view of the Cowboys stadium then.
But the team once Cheerleaders became a trademark.
Certainly did its share thru today. But far less I'd say now ....

DALLAS TV drama/series/ nighttime soap-opera opening credits of the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn8YuDqFo6o

Old 12-30-2019, 12:30 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Not saying Sports or Cowboys did not help Dallas. But the old 70s TV Drama with its opening of the Dallas night skyline and wealthy family with a huge home on a soaring ranch -- "DALLAS". ALSO did wonders for Dallas and for Texas in general. It was shown even in syndication ..... worldwide too.

It also had a quick view of the Cowboys stadium then.
But the team once Cheerleaders became a trademark.
Certainly did its share thru today. But far less I'd say now ....

DALLAS TV drama/series/ nighttime soap-opera opening credits of the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn8YuDqFo6o
The TV show did more for Dallas than the Cowboys ever did. Both in this country and worldwide. I saw Dallas still being played on German television back in the mid 2000’s. I also saw Walker Texas Ranger, another show based in Dallas, on the same trip, lol.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:45 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post

I totally get this. I too thought Cincinnati was much bigger as a kid because of the Bengals going to 2 Super Bowl (once beating the Chargers in AFC championship) and Pete Rose’s pursuit of Ty Cobb’s hit record (broken against the Padres). Rose’s gambling scandal after kept Cincinnati in the news for quite some time as well. We can’t forget the TV show “WKRP in Cincinnati” either. If this all happened now vs ages 6-13 I’m sure I’d have a different opinion, but I still think of Cincinnati being much bigger, prominent, what have you, than it probably is to many.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:09 PM

422 posts, read 396,801 times
Yes, without a doubt.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:25 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongFellows View Post
Bobby Orr was never drafted, LOL.

That doesn't mean as much as you'd like it to.

The Bruins franchise value was below the Flyers for the 1990s and 2000s until they won in 2011. Detroit has almost twice as many Cups as Boston does, and is tied with Chicago. Then of course, there's the Rangers, who are the most valued NHL franchise at over a billion and play in the largest sports market in the world.

Name five NHL players.
I’ll do 6 Massachusetts born players

Coyle, Sheary, Eichel, Vesey, Wagner, Donato.

Maybe 5 Goalies?

Quick, Rask, Holtby, Ullmark, Anderson.

Nobody is saying the Bruins are head and shoulders above the other American teams but they are in the top tier with the other American O 6 teams

Old 12-30-2019, 07:28 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I’ll do 6 Massachusetts born players

Coyle, Sheary, Eichel, Vesey, Wagner, Donato.

Maybe 5 Goalies?

Quick, Rask, Holtby, Ullmark, Anderson.

Nobody is saying the Bruins are head and shoulders above the other American teams but they are in the top tier with the other American O 6 teams

Still pissed the Bruins tossed Donato. He grew up four towns over from, he actually played in the same division as I did back in 06-08, Squirt/Pee Wee Hockey.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:29 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Yes they are. Massachoicetts is.

Now you're talking. The Bruins are one of the most popular American teams, not the most popular, which is what I am saying.

The original six teams plus Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are your most popular, I would say.
Technically the Sabres are up there but Buffalo doesn’t have the economy for the revenue that those 6 American teams make.

Also of note Suite sales don’t count to Bruins attendance because Delaware North not Thr Boston Bruins control those tickets.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:35 PM

Points can all be made for the Bruins/Red Wings/Canadiens/Maple Leafs/Penguins/Flyers to be in the tier of most iconic. I can accept that.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
You'd be hard pressed to find any respectable hockey fan to suggest the Canadiens (as much as you hate them), Leafs and Red Wings aren't the most traditionally popular teams. After that, it's a healthy mix for sure.

I think it would have to go in no order: Chicago, New York, Boston and Philadelphia. Even though Philadelphia isn't O6, just by virtue of market size (4th) it's quite obvious, and their franchise value has always reflected that.

Pittsburgh and Buffalo are as well, although Buffalo has never won a Cup and Pittsburgh has five and still almost relocated. Sometimes the teams make the town a hockey town, and sometimes the towns themselves are just hockey towns.
No.. Very aware the Canadiens are the most iconic. Ive said that. Then a mixed bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.