U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 03:15 PM

10,040 posts, read 10,076,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
So you know MLB attendance peaks in the summer because school is out.
Look at April vs May/Early June

Warm weather brings the fans. Same thing in football tickets are cheaper even in New England in December vs September.

If climate decided passion of sports fans UMasswould get more fans for its homecoming game than USC gets for a spring scrimmage

Last edited by btownboss4; 12-03-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 04:42 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,307,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
And, as I addressed earlier, San Diego has one of the worst homefield advantages across all sports in terms of fan support. Las Vegas might be like this too, but SD always had a ton of away fans at their home games. Not good for optics, but it did show that a place that is highly transient and got a lot of tourists year round MIGHT not be the best place to park a sports team.
Good point, because Los Angeles with the same weather and bigger/more famous beaches and tourist attractions, with 10X as many transients has been a total failure in the world of pro sports, only hosting a paltry nine teams in the metro area.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:11 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,061,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Good point, because Los Angeles with the same weather and bigger/more famous beaches and tourist attractions, with 10X as many transients has been a total failure in the world of pro sports, only hosting a paltry nine teams in the metro area.
LA is a massive market though, and SD is small.

Some "transient" markets do decent, others not so much. Just look at Miami's sports teams and how well they draw...

Besides, LA has 9 teams currently.... but I'd argue should only have 6. Both NFL teams have been dominated by away team fans since moving to/back to LA, and there's no need for 2 NBA teams. LA should have 6 teams; 2 MLB, 1 NBA, 1 NHL, 1 NFL, 1 MLS. No need for more than that IMO

Old 12-03-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
LA is a massive market though, and SD is small.

Some "transient" markets do decent, others not so much. Just look at Miami's sports teams and how well they draw...

Besides, LA has 9 teams currently.... but I'd argue should only have 6. Both NFL teams have been dominated by away team fans since moving to/back to LA, and there's no need for 2 NBA teams. LA should have 6 teams; 2 MLB, 1 NBA, 1 NHL, 1 NFL, 1 MLS. No need for more than that IMO
San Diego is a 3.4 million metro. There are another 1.7 million Tijuanans right down the road who are pretty keen on pro sports.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this is big enough of a market to support more than one pro team.

L.A. has nine teams because they can. Its a flex to remind people who the boss is. While "boom" cities like Austin struggle to get one team, L.A. adds major sports franchises like other cities add craft breweries or restaurants.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:48 PM

548 posts, read 240,385 times
Quote:
San Diego is a 3.4 million metro. There are another 1.7 million Tijuanans right down the road who are pretty keen on pro sports.
Yeah into the Xolos in the "America or Chivas wins" league.

San Diego could support more than one team. Now find owners willing to bring pro sports to San Diego and keep them there, and not snake oil salesmen like Spanos.

The biggest factor in pro sports isn't the city, fans, or whathaveyou. It's ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
As a former long time Charger season ticket holder I can find plenty to do on Sundays since they left, even before they did. This past Sunday after surfing in the morning I was out sailing on a mid 60’s day where I could see snow on the mountains about an hour away. Besides that, golfing, going on hikes with the wife and dog, and working in the yard fill up my Sundays when we’re in town. There’s still no shortage of Midwest and East Coast transplants out here that get all liquored in the sports bars on Sunday watching their team, and wanting to talk sh** and/or fight anyone that says anything against their team. It’s rather sad.
Yeah I don't get that either. Why are you fighting over millionaires who could give two ***** about whether or not you exist, since they get paid anyways? I know what it's like to cheer for teams with horrible ownership, and its not pleasant.

Life is too short to be that emotionally invested over something you have absolutely no control over. Especially when owners of the team can just pack up the team and leave whenever they feel like it. What kind of nonsense is that?

In a way, I envy San Diego for having more entertainment options in the wintertime. I say this as someone who loves pro-sports.

Quote:
Also San Diego wasn’t always this like this in regards to home field advantage, or lack there of. If anyone went to a Chargers game in the 80’s & 90’s (or before) they’d know this was definitely not the case. Many fans, myself included, soured on ownership when they started jerking us around about moving to LA in the early 00’s. When the Padres have done well, which hasn’t been that often, it’s packed with fans. Why waste your time and money on an inferior product.
Spanos is the absolute worst. I'm surprised he hasn't sold the Chargers yet before the stepped up basis has kicked in from Alex passing away. The problem is, who the hell wants to buy the Chargers? They need to go through a serious rebranding if they want to stay in LA, or my feeling is they're either going to end up back in SD or elsewhere.

The Padres ownership seems more committed now, but even then, it still hasn't kept pace with the Dodgers. I am really high on Fernando Tatis Jr., but giving Machado and Hosmer those contracts when the need has always been pitching seems puzzling to me.

I do remember the LT Charger teams and the late 1990s Padres teams and SD did have a great home field advantage. Bad ownership has sucked all the enthusiasm out, while SD has only got even more transient since then.

Quote:
On that note, casual fans are actually the smart and probably the best fans when you think about? Seriously, what incentive is there for ownership to put a winning product on the field if the fans show up blindly like sheep? The owners of the Cubs for instance must of been laughing all the way to the bank all those years when they’d fill their stadium up for a losing team. Believe me I’ve been there supporting a subpar team year in and year out before wising up. Fans that support their teams no matter what aren’t the true fans, they’re the gullible ones.
I think that kind of thinking is more common out there than here. Like I said earlier in the thread, maybe you guys are right in how you view sports fandom. Being a "hardcore" fan when all you is being jerked around emotionally out of some loyalty to your "city" when the owners could care less where they are as long as their bottom line is hit. Mind boggling.

Last edited by Bubb Rubb; 12-03-2019 at 05:58 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 05:51 PM

1,130 posts, read 395,032 times
So the lot of people who instigated fights were banned with their comments as certain threads were removed.

However, I would like to point out that you can market your sports teams as huge tourist attractions like with Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley, etc ... works out in the best interests of the city too. It helps promote the city as well.

Success of a sports team, which this form dived into a little bit, is a whoooleee other ball game (no pun intended)

Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Yeah into the Xolos in the "America or Chivas wins" league.

San Diego could support more than one team. Now find owners willing to bring pro sports to San Diego and keep them there, and not snake oil salesmen like Spanos.

The biggest factor in pro sports isn't the city, fans, or whathaveyou. It's ownership.
Just my opinion, but crying about "Spanos" just makes San Diego look even smaller and weaker. It's one of the largest cities in North America with one of the highest COL's for crying out loud. When you have an NFL team, you keep it.

Find a way or go sit at the kids table.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 PM

548 posts, read 240,385 times
Quote:
Just my opinion, but crying about "Spanos" just makes San Diego look even smaller and weaker. It's one of the largest cities in North America with one of the highest COL's for crying out loud. When you have an NFL team, you keep it.

Find a way or go sit at the kids table.
Well, I'm not from San Diego so I'm not as emotionally attached, but short of getting a free stadium, Spanos was never staying in SD.

https://ballotpedia.org/San_Diego,_C...(November_2016)

San Diego voters had enough of the guy too, so in effect, they took themselves out of the NFL game. I don't live out there so I don't know how many people were sad to see them go.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:38 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,061,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
So the lot of people who instigated fights were banned with their comments as certain threads were removed.

However, I would like to point out that you can market your sports teams as huge tourist attractions like with Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley, etc ... works out in the best interests of the city too. It helps promote the city as well.

Success of a sports team, which this form dived into a little bit, is a whoooleee other ball game (no pun intended)
The vast majority of MLB teams don't play in "tourist attractions", and even fewer NHL/NBA/NFL teams play in them. Nothing about Minute Maid Park or Citi Field is "tourist attraction", at least when comparing them to places like Fenway and Wrigley; two legit historic ballparks that attract tourists. I mean visiting fans will always be tourists to any city's pro team, but overall that's not going to drastically boost a city's tourism levels.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:52 PM

10,040 posts, read 10,076,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The vast majority of MLB teams don't play in "tourist attractions", and even fewer NHL/NBA/NFL teams play in them. Nothing about Minute Maid Park or Citi Field is "tourist attraction", at least when comparing them to places like Fenway and Wrigley; two legit historic ballparks that attract tourists. I mean visiting fans will always be tourists to any city's pro team, but overall that's not going to drastically boost a city's tourism levels.
People go to Baltimore to go to Camden Yards. It’s an attraction of it own right, same with AT&T Park in SF and PNC Park in Pittsburgh. There is also a big thing among baseball fans to go to all the stadiums (at least relatively big compared to the other sports)

Baseball stadiums are usually unique in some way that’s why they are interesting

All the generic multi use arenas used for NHL/NBA are all the same though so have no real tourist value beyond the team itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or