Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygrapes View Post
Wow, reading your posts it's obvious you're a total racist...
Do you sound as 'valley girl' as I think you do when you say this?

It's pretty well known that there is a direct correlation with heavily populated Black communities and crime. That doesn't mean all Blacks are poor criminals, and it doesn't make him racist.

So no - it's not a correlation for every city with a lot of Black people, however - you can't deny the facts and trends! Don't be so petty to call someone racist for being smart enough to identify a fact.

I feel like Whites have to go to such a large extent to prove they aren't racist. It's just a fact, simply identifying it doesn't make you racist/backwards/redneck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 AM

163 posts, read 525,698 times
It's pretty well known that there is a direct correlation with heavily populated Black communities and crime. That doesn't mean all Blacks are poor criminals, and it doesn't make him racist.

So no - it's not a correlation for every city with a lot of Black people, however - you can't deny the facts and trends! Don't be so petty to call someone racist for being smart enough to identify a fact.

Yes it is a fact as you pointed out and pointing out facts does not make a person a racist. However, while you are pointing out "facts" we can get into a lengthy debate about why these facts are true and maybe those who post in this thread won't like to know the whole truth. And with facts I can indeed point out that there is a correlation between generation after generation of blacks being purposely and hatefully oppressed by one racial group and a resulting incessant black and poor and sometimes violent lower class.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,072 times
So, who else agrees or disagrees with these statistics? I live around the Nashville area, and there seems to be crime here all the time! For a city population of around 650,000 and the metro area at 1.5 mil. it's kinda crazy.
Unfortunately, the metro police dept. is understaffed, so that doesn't help much either.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 AM

146 posts, read 688,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post

I feel like Whites have to go to such a large extent to prove they aren't racist. It's just a fact, simply identifying it doesn't make you racist/backwards/redneck.
Jeez, it's 2008--How many times must we go over this? There's a very strong correlation between crime and poverty, and a disproportionate amount of blacks are impoverished inner-city dwellers for a long list of social and historical reasons that are very easy to at least enumerate, if not understand.

So it's easy to be suspicious of someone who points out the correlation between blacks and crime without making the obvious connection with poverty.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:32 AM

15 posts, read 28,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another, usually involving hatred or discrimination. I didnt see anything that Scraper Enthuiast posted that would label him/her a racist. On the otherhand accusing someone of being a racist for pointing out verifiable facts is dispicable and quite frankly wreaks of insecurity.
I read through quite a few of the guys other posts before coming to the conclusion that he is a racist. He is in fact a paranoid racist, just read his posts. He longs for the days of McCartyhism and segregation, it's really obvious.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The list is a joke.
So can we assume your favorite metro was listed as high crime and/or your least favorite was low crime?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
This is interesting indeed but come on guys let's leave the black and white issue out of this since it will most certainly kill the post.

I would like to hear from those that actually live in these cities/towns to get an accurate rating of the violence, then let us see how that stacks up against this list.

Hmm funny thing most midwesterners know of east st louis, il, but yet the list does not show it unless i missed it, now what does that tell one of this list.
Remember, this is METROS, not CITIES. East St Louis isn't a metro, it is part of the larger St. Louis metro, which includes dozens of areas in the burbs, small twons and countryside with low crime rates.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
Jeez, it's 2008--How many times must we go over this? There's a very strong correlation between crime and poverty, and a disproportionate amount of blacks are impoverished inner-city dwellers for a long list of social and historical reasons that are very easy to at least enumerate, if not understand.

So it's easy to be suspicious of someone who points out the correlation between blacks and crime without making the obvious connection with poverty.
Exactly, and you said it yourself - there are a lot of impoverished blacks in many inner cities. Yes crime usually leads off of that poverty. I felt that was needless to say really.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:48 PM

64 posts, read 181,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Exactly, and you said it yourself - there are a lot of impoverished blacks in many inner cities. Yes crime usually leads off of that poverty. I felt that was needless to say really.
Except Scraper Enthusiast doesn't think it's because they are poor, but because they are black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast
Rick, I know that you're simply unable to get your mind around such a simple concept as race, as you probably do not think that such exists. However, for one moment, think about places around the Earth where whites live and where blacks live. Now that we have envisioned those places, what are the conditions? How long have these conditions been this way? Where have most inventions come from? Once you understand this, and come to grips with this reality, you'll understand that socioeconomic status isn't the reason. It is a side-effect.
This is just as oversimplified and idiotic as what caused people to get mad in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygrapes
I read through quite a few of the guys other posts before coming to the conclusion that he is a racist.
Me, too.

I don't think people taking issue with Scraper Enthusiast's statement is at all unwarranted, especially in light of other things he's said in other threads. I think that fact that people let him slide saying this stuff is terrible.

But, Whatever.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite eating tree View Post
Me, too.

I don't think people taking issue with Scraper Enthusiast's statement is at all unwarranted, especially in light of other things he's said in other threads. I think that fact that people let him slide saying this stuff is terrible.
Really? I don't recall his other posts. This one didn't seem racist to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.