Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 11:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Is everybody in a town? Or are there unincorporated parts of the counties?
MA does not have unincorporated areas of counties. When I moved to CO, the designation of unincorporated residential areas confused me, as well as the cities that lay in TWO counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 06:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Atleast for Mass, Rhode Island and CT.. every land area is divided up into a town, city, etc. Theres no unincorpirated parts of the county. That was a big shock to me when I went to FL and county was coined more there.

But it more or less is divided this way: (Town Map)

https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...led-png.55359/ ma
https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...led-png.55370/ ri
https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...led-png.55410/ ct

I know VT and NH are 99% town divided but some of the mountain peaks get a little tricky. Maine Im unsure about.
Oh, I see. My understanding is that Mexico divides its states into a similar manner, as municipios.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Hennepin County.

I mean, I dunno what is specific about it. I love Minnesota but I dont think much of the county. Hennepin County is neat though cuz it has Minneapolis in the east but to the west is s lot of lakes and farmland. In a way it's like a mini microcosm of the state.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:39 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Mecklenburg County, NC

It's neat. The traffic sucks but thats the price one pays for living in a heavily populated area.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:10 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
St. Louis city is my county. (Those who are familiar with the area understand it).

I love the people who call St Louis home and have committed to making it a great place. Cultural amenities, restaurants, unique architecture and exciting neighborhoods is what gives our city a real sense of community that many places would love to have. The easy pace of life creates a ambiance that can't be found in too many places that are as urban.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:54 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Oh, I see. My understanding is that Mexico divides its states into a similar manner, as municipios.
They are highly variable in Mexico -- there are only 5 in each Baja and 11 in Quintana Roo, but 570 in Oaxaca. I have never seen a map that locates roads passing through municipios. In Canada, most peopl in Quebec associate with their historic county, rather than the ugly new arrangement imposed by Ottawa.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:44 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Counties I have lived in are:

Madison AL
Mobile AL
Santa Cruz CA
Monterey CA
Madison FL
Brown, KS
Fayette KY
East Baton Rouge LA
Lafayette LA
Orleans LA
Cumberland ME
Grand Traverse MI
Leelanau MI
Clay MO
Dent MO
Jackson MO
Marion OR
Davidson TN
Victoria TX
King WA
Dodge WI
Fond du Lac WI
Milwaukee WI
Portage WI
Westmoreland New Brunswick
St. John's Newfoundland
Hochelaga Quebec

Old 12-09-2019, 06:59 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Milwaukee Co.

I love the access to Lake Michigan, the great walkable downtown area, the low traffic (compared to our big brother 90 miles south) the architecture, the rivers, the great neighborhoods, and the festivals.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:55 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Dauphin County, PA

I like how it happened to be named in 1785, during an extremely narrow window of time (1783 to 1789) when US counties could potentially be named for the heir to the French throne as a suck-up move.

Harrisburg, the state capital and county seat, has a few dramatic urban vistas, and has managed to retain frequent train service to Phila/NYC.

It also contains the "Sweetest Place on Earth" (tm), still the world's largest chocolate factory, and venue of even the world's largest antique car show (and a few weeks prior, America's largest RV show, still wonder why they don't say world's largest on that, where else would compare?).

Old 12-10-2019, 03:08 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Counties I have lived in are:

Madison AL
Mobile AL
Santa Cruz CA
Monterey CA
Madison FL
Brown, KS
Fayette KY
East Baton Rouge LA
Lafayette LA
Orleans LA
Cumberland ME
Grand Traverse MI
Leelanau MI
Clay MO
Dent MO
Jackson MO
Marion OR
Davidson TN
Victoria TX
King WA
Dodge WI
Fond du Lac WI
Milwaukee WI
Portage WI
Westmoreland New Brunswick
St. John's Newfoundland
Hochelaga Quebec
Not bad. Only 5 counties for me. What's the story there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.