Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 09:00 AM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Franklin County, Vermont

Located on the Canadian border where I-89 enters Quebec, just an hour south of Montreal and a 1/2 hour north of Burlington. It's mostly rural with a good amount of agriculture, particularly in dairy farming. St. Albans, the county seat has some palpable historic charm, a vibrant little downtown, an awesome Farmer's Market, and a very classic Vermont vibe to it with plenty of ways to be active in the community and a lot of fun seasonal events. I absolutely love it here, and feel blessed to have had the opportunity to recently relocate and hook up my new life way up in these parts.

I love the scenic pastoral landscapes, the shoreline and islands on beautiful Lake Champlain, and the mountain views of the nearby Adirondacks and Green Mountains. Though it's rural, it doesn't feel isolated as there are plenty of amenities nearby, and it's easy to go up and spend the day in Montreal. I'm finding plenty of activities to do locally as well as I has taken up kayaking in the lake last summer and gotten back into skiing again at nearby Jay Peak. It's gorgeous here in all seasons, I'm very happy in my new home.
You're going to make me consult a map to see where Glover, VT is in relation to Franklin Cty (it's not out of the question that it's in it--north of Burlington, I know that much). One of my best friends got involved with Bread & Puppet there, a kind of 'activist theater' troupe--the fact that he ended up meeting his future wife there sort prolonged his involvement with the organization, methinks. Drove him there once; ate the bread and witnessed the puppetry. Slept in my car on the grounds for the few nights I stayed...good times.

ETA: I see it's the next county over, Orleans (Franklin being to the west of Orleans, both on the Canadian border). The posters who claimed that counties mean little in New England are backed up by this bit from the Orleans County wiki page: 'As in the rest of New England, few governmental powers have been granted to the county.' I have a bunch of family in Mass and probably once learned about regional county powerlessness, but I needed this refresher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 09:12 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
Really interesting to read what people like about the places that they live. I now live in DuPage County, Illinois outside of Chicago, a county with 930,000 people and the wealthiest county in Illinois, with some of the wealthiest towns in the country located within its borders. What I love about the county is that it has a nice suburban/urban mix, and the further you go out it gets more "country" relatively speaking. Even with all its affluence, the cost of living is manageable, and there is such a diversity within the county as far as the suburbs, some, like West Chicago, having a definite Hispanic vibe. The taxes are slightly lower than in neighboring Cook County.

Like some counties outside of other metro areas, there is so much to do; lots of restaurants, malls ( the largest outdoor mall and third most valuable mall per square foot in the country is Oak Brook Center ) easy access by train to Chicago ( my work commute is 25 minutes ) and there is a variety of lifestyles within the many towns of the county. I chose where I live because it reminds me of Boston where I have lived with hills, big trees, and a quaint New Englandy downtown. But I can drive a mere 15 minutes away, and the vibe is more Irvine, California, close to where I grew up. It does lack mountains and an ocean, ( but from where I am I am 20 minutes from both O'Hare and Midway for a quick getaway if absolutely necessary ), but overall it is a great place to live, and access to Chicago and the lake is a definite plus.

Last edited by Justabystander; 12-11-2019 at 10:01 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 10:14 AM

208 posts, read 210,679 times
Live in Somerset County, Maine. https://www.somersetcounty-me.org/ It's just over 4000 sq. miles in area including lakes and rivers with a population of just over 50,000 residents. It runs from the central part of Maine north to the Canadian border. Cost of living is very reasonable and it is very rural living. The northern part of the county is heavily forested.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:36 AM

208 posts, read 210,679 times
In New England 6 states, town lines are sacred, not allowed to cross town. But County line is just superficial, not meaningful other than self-identity. The only thing that county rules is court system. Court is by county and each county has own system of courts etc.

Even policemen within same county do not cooperate automatically. What matters most is town with own police station and property tax and public school system. School bus only help residents kids within own town, not neighboring town. County does not count anything here.

Live in northern New England jxzz. Not that way here. Police in neighboring towns/cities cooperate and help each other out. Fire departments give mutual aid, even sign agreements to cover multiple towns. Sheriff's Dept. is patrol and work with other agencies. Even fish and wildlife plays big role in some remote, rural areas.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:52 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Re: bolded--really?
Yes...There are South and SE Asian communities on Syracuse's North Side(many came as refugees/immigrants or are the descendants of refugees/immigrants), but also we get a wide range of Asian students and some permanent residents due to Syracuse University and other area colleges/universities. Syracuse University has seen a big increase in students from India and China in the last 5-10 years or so, among other Asian countries. Same with the city/immediate area itself. There are Korean, Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese and Japanese restaurants, as well as at one time having a restaurant that served Nepali/Bhutanese food. The 13208 zip code, which covers much of the North Side of Syracuse is about 16-17% Asian. The adjacent 13203 zip code is around 10% Asian and the 13210 zip code on the East Side including SU is about 12-13% Asian. 13078 which covers the Jamesville area of DeWitt/Southwood area of Onondaga is about 10-12% Asian.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-11-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-11-2019, 03:58 PM

712 posts, read 542,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolitionman2 View Post
In New England 6 states, town lines are sacred, not allowed to cross town. But County line is just superficial, not meaningful other than self-identity. The only thing that county rules is court system. Court is by county and each county has own system of courts etc.

Even policemen within same county do not cooperate automatically. What matters most is town with own police station and property tax and public school system. School bus only help residents kids within own town, not neighboring town. County does not count anything here.

Live in northern New England jxzz. Not that way here. Police in neighboring towns/cities cooperate and help each other out. Fire departments give mutual aid, even sign agreements to cover multiple towns. Sheriff's Dept. is patrol and work with other agencies. Even fish and wildlife plays big role in some remote, rural areas.
Are you sure this is a "county" level or just a cooperation between neighbor towns?

Just give you one example in CT, I said before that public transportation bus is "county" based, local bus means same county. Just found out this is not true. Madison of New Haven county joined neighbor county into something like "9 towns bus" system, most of them are in another county, middlesex county. So bus system not really county based, just a cooperation of nearby towns to be more efficient.

You can argue that police, fire dept are just helping out in co-op arrangement in nearby towns, like bus. Not necessarily means "county", just nearby in New England states.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:30 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Are you sure this is a "county" level or just a cooperation between neighbor towns?

Just give you one example in CT, I said before that public transportation bus is "county" based, local bus means same county. Just found out this is not true. Madison of New Haven county joined neighbor county into something like "9 towns bus" system, most of them are in another county, middlesex county. So bus system not really county based, just a cooperation of nearby towns to be more efficient.

You can argue that police, fire dept are just helping out in co-op arrangement in nearby towns, like bus. Not necessarily means "county", just nearby in New England states.
I recall reading that Mass counties have retained their identity only as a court system, centered on the judicial courthouse.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:38 PM

8 posts, read 6,356 times
Humboldt County, CA

I live in a land of extremes (tallest trees, biggest waves, most popular/best marijuana, etc). Despite being far away from nearly any major city over 100,000 people, I am minutes away from pristine dunes, redwood forests, and endless gorgeous coastline. There are dozens of state parks and one national park in my backyard. I also like that we are the last place to get a legitimate heat wave in the state; it never gets uncomfortably hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.