Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live? Where would you vacation?
Live VA and Vacation NC 30 71.43%
Live NC and Vacation VA 12 28.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 05:50 AM

115 posts, read 83,493 times

Advertisements

Consider all parameters, where would you live? Where would you vacation or have a 2nd home?

Virginia or North Carolina

Don't forget to describe why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 05:57 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
I would not live nor vacation Virginia because outside of metro D.C. there's not much economic growth and northern VA is very expensive to live. NCs weather is better, it has a more diverse economy, population is not skewed toward one area like that of Virginia, has more schools of national renown than VA, is overall more affordable and more of its population has ocean front access.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I have lived in both states and really like both of them. However, I give the edge to Virginia. I love the vibe of the state, the history, and the Tidewater region especially.

In fact, Virginia is my favorite state. It has four distinct and different seasons that seem evenly spaced to me. It has mountains, rolling countryside, rivers, and the ocean. It's close to other major metro areas on the east coast but far enough away if that makes sense. It has a sense of gentility to it that is unique. I am an Anglophile to the core and out of all the states, Virginia seems the most "English" to me. I like that.

But they're both really beautiful states with so much to offer. It just depends on your personal situation as to which would be the better fit.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:21 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Virginia to live & vacation. Virginia has a great blend of urban and rural features all wrapped up in an increasingly politically progressive package.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:42 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
VA is one of my favorite states. But I would choose to live AND vacation in NC. Overall, there's more to see and do. A better balance of quality larger metros, smaller metros, small towns, and retirement areas spread across the whole state. Is a little more affordable overall. Has a better overall economy.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I voted for live in NC and vacation in VA but that's only because there wasn't an option to vote for Live in VA and vacation in VA. Also, I do like to vacation in NC sometimes too but I would probably choose to live in Virginia and I LOVE me some Virginia vacationing too.

True story from just last year. My husband and I went on vacation to NC's Outer Banks. The weather was so consistently horrible the entire time that we spent most of our time in Virginia! On the coast - but it was better weather than the Outer Banks.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:13 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I would not live nor vacation Virginia because outside of metro D.C. there's not much economic growth and northern VA is very expensive to live. NCs weather is better, it has a more diverse economy, population is not skewed toward one area like that of Virginia, has more schools of national renown than VA, is overall more affordable and more of its population has ocean front access.
So full of holes.

Richmond and Lynchburg are both experiencing aggressive population growth. Virginia's economy is arguably more diverse than North Carolina's which does not benefit from close proximity to the federal government like VA, and otherwise has a wide variety of economic activity. In fact both are about neck and neck in GDP. The climate is pretty much equal as well, with Richmond about two degrees cooler in winter than Raleigh and about the same the remainder of the year. In terms of public schools Virginia ranks 7th of all states, while NC is 25th. For universities VA has 5 in the Top 100 public universities with UVA 4th, Wm and Mary 12th, VA Tech 30th, George Mason 72nd and VCU 76th. NC has just 3 with UNC at #5, NC State at #34 and UNCW at #92.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:37 PM

115 posts, read 83,493 times
Ah yes, good point. I didn't think to add live and vacation in VA and the same for NC.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:51 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
I spent a week in Richmond and suburban DC a year ago in September visiting family...good trip but extremely hot, like 90 and humid. I don't know how people can live in that, particularly getting around on foot.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:11 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Live/vacation in NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.