Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 09:03 PM

59 posts, read 82,725 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Looking for suggestions on best place to move, buy a single family house and raise family(2 school going kids). I am an IT professional who travels through out US cities to client locations every week (to and fro)as part of my regular job. Good schooling is definitely a criteria for me.

Where do IT consultants/professionals like me prefer to live in the USA?

Any specific city suggestions or any criteria I should consider while deciding to move to a new place?

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 09:27 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,396,681 times
Suburbs of Chicago, Denver, Nashville and DC come to mind. Is weather a factor? Are your clients all over the US or concentrated to a certain region?

Old 12-08-2019, 09:32 PM

59 posts, read 82,725 times
Thanks for the reply..
When it comes to weather, I would prefer to avoid a place with too much of snow or cold.

My clients are across the USA not really any specific region.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:22 PM

99 posts, read 115,939 times
North Atlanta suburbs will be the best pick for you. Great airport with 2 hours flights to 70% of the US population. Alpharetta/Johns Creek areas of Metro Atlanta have some of the best schools in the south east..Decent weather with reasonable cost of living..

Old 12-08-2019, 11:28 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends4u View Post
Thanks for the reply..
When it comes to weather, I would prefer to avoid a place with too much of snow or cold.

My clients are across the USA not really any specific region.
If you have this luxury, why not pick an inexpensive metro? Why not Atlanta or Dallas?

Old 12-09-2019, 01:23 AM

3,422 posts, read 2,223,889 times
If you don't like cold or snow, throw Denver & Chicago out the window

Seattle, Bay Area & DC/Baltimore have much milder winters and much less frequent snow so weather is more tolerable. They have the largest concentration of IT work but due to that and the industries that reside in them, they are by far the most expensive metro/regions to set up shop, so CoL is going to play a huge factor.

If you want to go further south... Dallas, Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta & Nashville are rapidly growing markets for IT. All are substantially cheaper than the above regions, and have wonderful weather almost year round

Old 12-09-2019, 05:31 AM

24,510 posts, read 17,988,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USARoadTrip View Post
North Atlanta suburbs will be the best pick for you. Great airport with 2 hours flights to 70% of the US population. Alpharetta/Johns Creek areas of Metro Atlanta have some of the best schools in the south east..Decent weather with reasonable cost of living..
That’s very inconvenient airport access for a road warrior. I’ve done a ton of business in the north Atlanta burbs. The airport drive is awful.

The Williamson County Nashville suburbs like Brentwood and Franklin have top schools. Good airport. You can get your Ferrari or Lamborghini serviced. No income taxes. Walkable to Main Street Franklin is a really nice place to live.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:37 AM

26,864 posts, read 43,334,989 times
I'd suggest Raleigh-Durham. It has a moderate four season climate with little snow and a manageable 2 to 3 months of summer. It's a major hub of IT in it's own right minus the hefty cost of living and overall is quite pleasant to live in. Finally if traveling often RDU is an easy to reach airport, that's very user-friendly with surprisingly great nonstop service to 50 cities. Schools are by/large excellent with a recommendation of Chapel Hill-Carrboro (which is very family-friendly) and the top school district in NC, plus an easy 30 minute drive (15 miles) to RDU.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:31 AM

482 posts, read 346,539 times
Where do you live now? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Why do you want to move? Are you moving from something?

Where is your spouse from? Where does he/she have a network? Will your spouse work? In what field?

What do you and your family like to spend free-time doing?

Where is your boss/department located? Where are most of your customers? Time zones might be important.

If this job doesn't work out for some reason, can you get a new job in this new city? You're going to be stuck with a house. Assume another major recessions happens in a year, or 3, or 5, or 10. Plan for the worse, hope for the best.

There are so many considerations that could be taken into account that based on the little information it becomes very much a matter of guessing and our personal biases.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:36 AM

24,510 posts, read 17,988,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd suggest Raleigh-Durham. It has a moderate four season climate with little snow and a manageable 2 to 3 months of summer. It's a major hub of IT in it's own right minus the hefty cost of living and overall is quite pleasant to live in. Finally if traveling often RDU is an easy to reach airport, that's very user-friendly with surprisingly great nonstop service to 50 cities. Schools are by/large excellent with a recommendation of Chapel Hill-Carrboro (which is very family-friendly) and the top school district in NC, plus an easy 30 minute drive (15 miles) to RDU.

For a road warrior, RDU and BNA are about as small as you'd want to go for an airport.

For short notice business travel, the big Southwest presence in Nashville is useful since you can throw $15 at the flight and board early enough to have a place for your roll-aboard and an aisle seat. I've had lots of occasions on the majors where I had to book a flight on short notice and the only remaining seats are middle row death seats back by the blue toilet water and my employers usually won't pay for premium seating. Once you have FT status on an airline, it's less of an issue.

If you pick an airport smaller than that, you often lose the option of flying early Monday morning to start your work week because you have to connect over a hub. You're flying Sunday night so you can get there. For someone who cares about school systems, that's a lot of family time you have to give up.

In the end, Tennessee with no state income tax is a big win. The North Carolina 5.5% state income tax rate when you're a 6 figure road warrior ends up being a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.