Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 12:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

I think Spanish-influenced architecture is a part of it. It's not extremely prevalent in Dallas and Houston but is more so in San Antonio and El Paso. Amarillo is about as "Great Plains" as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 12:39 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,591,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think Spanish-influenced architecture is a part of it. It's not extremely prevalent in Dallas and Houston but is more so in San Antonio and El Paso. Amarillo is about as "Great Plains" as you can get.
I personally never associate architecture with ethnicities.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:48 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I always thought of Texas as Hispanic because it borders Mexico. It's funny how people think Florida is not southern at all because of its cosmopolitan nature when Florida has a ton of Southern traits and it was the least populated state in the South 100 years ago, it's the most geographically southern state in the union but no one thinks of it as Mississippi yet Texans are assumed as just hardcore conservatives.
I agree. Even if you tell a random American that you live in Jacksonville or any other north Florida town, they will only pay attention to the states reputation as a whole, which is that it's very diverse, Latin American, Caribbean, and that whites are a minority. Most places in FL north of Orange County are just as Southern as anywhere in Georgia.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:10 PM

1,168 posts, read 775,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I think that even 1/3 of the population counts as "huge".
I don't agree. I think sizeable is a more appropriate descriptor.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:43 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,591,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I don't agree. I think sizeable is a more appropriate descriptor.
For a major city, how can that not be large? It's like saying that NYC's Latino or black populations are only "sizable".

Old 12-20-2019, 11:07 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I agree. Even if you tell a random American that you live in Jacksonville or any other north Florida town, they will only pay attention to the states reputation as a whole, which is that it's very diverse, Latin American, Caribbean, and that whites are a minority. Most places in FL north of Orange County are just as Southern as anywhere in Georgia.
And the natives will gladly tell you that. It's only in these forums where people will dispute being southern.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:48 AM

1,094 posts, read 806,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And the natives will gladly tell you that. It's only in these forums where people will dispute being southern.
And youtube to. Plenty of people on Youtube debate it's southern status as well.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:18 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Dallas an Houston are diverse. San Antonio isn’t. Maybe that’s part of it.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
So is LA is not really a Hispanic city due to lack of Hispanic wealth?

And suburbs are known for being more white than the city proper. That's why people use "suburban" as a codeword for white. That doesn't mean that the city proper is less important than the suburbs. Who the hell would define New York City by what things in Dutchess or Suffolk County are like?

Especially with Dallas and Houston since the city proper is huge. But even then, most of their suburbs do have a lot of Latinos. And rural Texas has many Latinos too.
No, I’m saying even though Dallas has a huge Latino population you can’t compare it to San Antonio and Houston (to a lesser extent) because the Latino population is heavily confined to the cities and a few inner suburbs like Grand Praire/Arlington/Mesquite/Irving/Garland (their are more than a few more of these but don’t want to list all of them) where it fails is while places like The Woodlands which while very white has a very wealthy Mexican population and sees tons of tourists from Mexico. San Antonio doesn’t even need explanation. Dallas isn’t poorer than Houston or SA in the front of Mexicans their just dominated more numerically by its very successful white population than Houston or SA, and so Dallas gets overlooked, he’ll Houston gets overlooked as well as it’s about 37% Hispanic and 36% White metro-wise.

Saying these cities are plurality or even majority Hispanic in the core means nothing when their suburbs are overwhelmingly white. SA’d suburbs also tend to be very white but the Hispanic component seeps into all aspects of the city and while Northern regions are very white the remaining areas of SA’s suburbia is very Hispanic. Also unlike Dallas SA and Houston aren’t throughly dominated by the large suburbs taking out Dallas and FW you get more than a million more suburbanites than Houston and that’s only if you treat FW which has plenty of suburban areas in it as wholly city. Houston while it has suburban areas inside the city limits is throughly dominated by its city, economically and culturally even if only a third of the population live within city limits. I think their is a plurality Hispanic city in every county in the Houston area I don’t think this rings true for Dallas, hence the city while diverse stills feels very white dominated Houston is the same but to a lesser extent.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Diversity has and will always be relative. Just to add to my point above. Lagos isn’t considered a diverse city racially(ethnically it’s probably top 5 in the world just because their are so many African languages that it could probably get close to NYCs statistic of 800 languages spoken in the city. Theirs 520 languages in Nigeria alone and most of them are decently represented in Lagos not to mention bordering countries). But even racially Lagos is considered a very diverse city to most Nigerians its the only place besides the capital and Port Harcourt where you see random Filipinos, Chinese, Lebanese it even Dutch people just going about their day. Yet all of these represent probably less than 1% or 2% of the city. Same way you here Hong Kong as diverse even though it’s mainly Chinese (order of magnitudes more racially diverse than Lagos but not really close to any American city). It’s all relative, compared to the rest of eastern China Hong Kong is ridiculously diverse especially compared to places in China between 5-10 million people and not the larger cities. Compared to the rest of Nigeria only 2 maybe 3 cities in the whole country could hold a candlelight to the racial diversity of Lagos yet by all accounts it is a 99% black city.

In a state like Texas where the Hispanic population/ancestry is 38% or so within 5%-10% less Hispanic is just expected even if that’s still a 28% Hispanic city doesn’t mean it isn’t diverse by the national standard it’s just means it’s perceived as less dominating because compared to an SA it just doesn’t pack the same punch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.