Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 04:05 PM

12,828 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Bingo! With the exception of East Texas/South East Texas, the Hispanic population in Texas in majority of cities is the biggest minority group or the biggest population in a city. The difference between a Houston,Dallas and San Antonio is how the cities are marketed. I went to San Antonio for the first time earlier this year and everything about the city screamed a heavily Mexican influenced. In San Antonio it's everywhere. Houston for example has about 2 million Hispanic people in the metro. Hispanic culture is evident in Houston but it's not the dominant culture in the city.
To a lesser extend, Denver is 25% Hispanic, which means 150k in the city proper, yet they don't seem to have any presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 04:46 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
To a lesser extend, Denver is 25% Hispanic, which means 150k in the city proper, yet they don't seem to have any presence.
Well, that's not good. I'm betting there is a presence, just in certain areas. I can't imagine not having a "presence", as a group.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:54 PM

71 posts, read 51,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
The influence is much more prominent in a ground-level sense in San Antonio. Dallas feels like some cross between Southern, Cowboy, and plains Midwest. Houston feels like the Deep South. San Antonio feels like a unique, heavily Mexican influenced place. The architecture, music, cuisine, etc is all much more heavily indebted to that culture than what you see in the other cities, IMO.
I don’t view Houston as Deep South. Perhaps the reason Hispanic culture is not always highlighted in Houston despite it being a larger percent of the population is that there are other larger international communities in Houston. For example, public documents are all available in English, Spanish and Vietnamese.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:19 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
I imagine the Hispanic presence in Texas altogether is downplayed by the entire world, even though it's just about the most Hispanic state there is. Speaking as someone from over 1,500 miles away from Texas, the world pretty much just sees Texas as a huge Mississippi with a desert landscape. And I believe the natural assumption most people have when they see a place as racist, is that it's probably mostly white too. This is why I've seen a lot of people here and on youtube say that Boston (black population ~180,000) which has a bit of a stigma as a racist place, doesn't have a lot of black people, while they think cities like San Francisco and Seattle (black population ~50,000 each) are hyper-diverse and progressive.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:20 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
From what I see on this board, it seems like a lot of people downplay the Hispanic presence of Dallas and Houston.
If sentiments and opinions here are less Hispanic than with other demographics, it would only be due to the likelihood of less Hispanics being present on this forum than other races. That's all it is.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:30 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Maybe because they don't have Hispanic sounding names either. Texas's major cities are more Hispanic than California's, but the only sizable Texas cities with Hispanic names are San Antonio and El Paso and I guess Corpus Christi, which doesn't even really sound Spanish. California has Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, San Bernardino, ect. They literally made sure every major city in California had a Spanish name lol.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:38 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
I always thought of Texas as Hispanic because it borders Mexico. It's funny how people think Florida is not southern at all because of its cosmopolitan nature when Florida has a ton of Southern traits and it was the least populated state in the South 100 years ago, it's the most geographically southern state in the union but no one thinks of it as Mississippi yet Texans are assumed as just hardcore conservatives.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:43 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Dallas is Hispanic plurality too. I was surprised to find out that it's 42% Hispanic, since it seems to me like the Hispanic presence (in terms of how people talk about it on here) is overshadowed.

Maybe the 6 figure guys in Houston are mostly white, but that's true everywhere. Los Angeles is not filled with rich Hispanic people either.

And anyone who follows baseball even casually would know that every team has a lot of Hispanics and that baseball is popular in many Latin American countries. It's not just DR anymore, there are a lot of players from Mexico too.

I do agree that black culture is perceived as being dominant in Houston, but I don't know about white culture. First white Houstonite who comes to mind for me is Paul Wall.
I was talking about metro-wide. Dallas is 50% white metro-wide, slightly lower on the Dallas half but still a white Plurality, considering the city by itself doesn't help as the cities of Texas are often defined by their suburban areas both inside and outside of the city limits. It doesn't really matter if a city is only 10% white, if the money-makers/famous politicians and people are mostly wealthy suburbanites, and the city composition is actually more like 70% white.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:47 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Which is? Having a lot of blacks and Hispanics?
Yes, though I would say it is used to mean black more so than Hispanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Bingo! With the exception of East Texas/South East Texas, the Hispanic population in Texas in majority of cities is the biggest minority group or the biggest population in a city. The difference between a Houston,Dallas and San Antonio is how the cities are marketed. I went to San Antonio for the first time earlier this year and everything about the city screamed a heavily Mexican influenced. In San Antonio it's everywhere. Houston for example has about 2 million Hispanic people in the metro. Hispanic culture is evident in Houston but it's not the dominant culture in the city.
Don't you mean including East Texas? Hispanics are the largest group in both Dallas and Houston, at 42% and 43% each.

Even Port Arthur is over 30% Hispanic

Quote:
What do you mean no presence? I think it's pretty well known that Colorado, including Denver, has a lot of Hispanics.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
To me, diverse means more than 2. It's obvious to some that diverse means black and Hispanic. Irvine is 45% Asian, but not considered diverse around these parts. Why is taht?
Irvine is diverse, the Irvine equivalent in Houston, Sugar Land is considered diverse as well. Your imagining things bro. The only reason I call San Antonio diverse is because it's diverse in terms of the national scale. Albeit the only group it has above average are Hispanics. Looking at SA on it's own it's a pretty monolithic city. It's also ore diverse as their's greater diversity within the Hispanic population of SA in my opinion than the white population of Austin. I still consider Austin a diverse city, I just said its seen as a white city relative to the nearby cities. Noone calls RGV or El Paso diverse. Diversity has never meant only blacks and hispanics on this forum, you can scroll throught thousands of post of 82% white/Asian SL being called diverse in the Houston forum....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.