Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Liberals want to be in Liberal areas so that their voice is "heard" during election times. One Liberal in a community of Conservatives isn't going to feel "heard". But then again, I think it is more close-minded to assume Conservatives are always Republicans and that Liberals are always Democrats.

In my honest opinion, both Liberals and Conservatives are equally as bad. America needs Moderation, not extremism.
If people want to be heard, they should flock to swing states like NV and MO. Swing states are really the only places where individual votes make much of a difference...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think people these days are labeling a select group of people in the country as "republicans" and "conservatives" because of the current political sitaution.

Bush seems to be much more "in your face" Christian than most presidents, and obviously much more than a president should be...

He's really pulled out the religious folks in the Republican party, and it's kinda been his shield for the past 8 years. Things are going horrible in Iraq and elsewhere in the Middle East, he doesn't know anything about the economy or the average Joe in our country, and he's run by big business, so we start seeing these gay marriage, faith based initiatives, etc. etc. "issues" coming up as a cover for the huge mess we've gotten ourselves into.

There aren't a ton of the loud hard core religious people we keep hearing from over and over, but they have a power and an outlet in Bush. I think the average American is getting really sick of all this banter, and is grouping it as a "republican" and "conservative" crowd. It's just the label we've put on a group who seems to be loudly screaming at all 300 million of us in the country, and telling us exactly how we should be living our lives under a Christian God. I'm just counting down the days till election time, and hopefully we can start getting our country back from the brink of destruction.

I actually didn't intend that to sound so anti-religious, it's just what comes to my mind personally when I think about what's going on. Bush is taking religion, and pulling out a group of people who are doing a HORRIBLE job of representing the Christian base. It comes off as such a high-and-mighty, hateful, my way or the highway banter. Such a turn off...

That's not what religion represents, and I think people are getting more and more blinded as to what "faith" is suppose to mean. It's not suppose to be where you spend 60% of your time freaking out about what everyone else is doing, and telling people how they're going to hell if they don't act like you.
I am going to have to disagree with you here. I don't think Bush is that genuinely Christian. During his campaigns he used issues like abortion and gay marriage to get full support from the religious right, but since he has been President he hasn't focused on those issues at all. In fact, I am not even sure what the man has done besides get us into an immorral war and increase gas prices 400% to fund his post-presidency life. Whats Christian about that?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
It's so funny reading Laura's post, I would think she lives in a conservative town, but I grew up there and remember it as liberal. Maybe because my parents are liberal as were many of their friends. Or maybe things have changed in the 35 years since I left.

Talk about northern transplants, you should know from your history Laura that the whole town was created from transplants and not so long ago. I was a northern transplant when I arrived at age 3 but I think I've assimilated pretty good.

Back to the subject, this is a great topic for a thread. We had a local thread where someone was looking for "diversity" but in reality they wanted to live around people mostly like themself with perhaps a few people of color mixed in for local color. I finally figured out that what some people call diversity is really diversity from mainstream society. Throw too many ordinary people in and they get bored.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
Some folks of liberal thinking can adapt to a more conservative area- and the opposite is true. As a New Englander I am reserved and keep to myself- friendly but not gushing all over people with friendliness that I feel may be contrived.

I tend to be liberal thinking on most issues- I have a neighbor who is for the most part southern- well lets say we have a problem getting along- and much of it goes beyond the obvious political differences we have. Its a cultural thing really- she seems all too friendly and nosy- invasive I guess you would call it- and she gossips. I know she has said negative things about me. You of course can not judge all by this foul ball- however I frankly feel at this time in history folks at opposite ends of the political spectrum and perhaps the 'north & south' geographic locus reality might feel more comfortable living near others of the same stripe.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
I'm not a big fan of Bush or Bushism, but I sorta have Libertarian/Republican/Conservative leanings and tend to prefer living in more liberal towns/areas. Why? A lot of these supposed conservative types in conservative areas just have awfully weird attitudes when it comes to "people of color"(many Liberal types have weird albeit "friendlier" attitudes too). Many of these folks just can't accept that fact that a so called "person of color" is more intelligent and has more class and charm than them. Nevermind the fact that they can't fathom why I see nothing wrong with being swarthier than the supposed norm.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:01 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
It's so funny reading Laura's post, I would think she lives in a conservative town, but I grew up there and remember it as liberal. Maybe because my parents are liberal as were many of their friends. Or maybe things have changed in the 35 years since I left.

Talk about northern transplants, you should know from your history Laura that the whole town was created from transplants and not so long ago. I was a northern transplant when I arrived at age 3 but I think I've assimilated pretty good.
The issue with me is big city transplants moving to smaller towns and then wanting all of the things they had in the big cities they just escaped and that were very expensive to live in. They don't seem to make the connection that the reason it was so expensive to live in those places was accommodation, government regulations and demand for services. Most big northeastern cities are liberal. If they were good and affordable places to live, people wouldn't flee them once they are no longer tied to a job.

My county is Republican according to the last election, the county is 73% religious and the population number of the town has hardly changed in 20 years. I don't know the conservative/liberal breakdown because no one apparently keeps those stats. I know the town was created by transplants but I doubt that they were all from major northeastern cities --- and when many came in the 40s and 50s to start the town, they weren't today's definition of liberal.

My town made a lot of noise about NOT having a new shopping area in town about a year ago and they won. And we still celebrate traditional holidays. The US Army led our Christmas parade (note, it's not a "holiday" parade or a "winter" parade) and many churches in town had their own floats and Christmas messages. And when some libs in town decided not to put Easter in front of the Egg Hunt this year, the town paper made a big deal about it and called it an Easter Egg Hunt anyway. We have an annual festival that celebrates our WWII connections. I have met many people in the town who have come from other countries and love this country, probably more than most elected people in San Francisco. They've been around long enough to know peace through strength and cherish traditions.

There are overaged ex-hippies everywhere including my town. They're loud but they're still in the minority as far as I can tell.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,057 times
I did not realize just how important this notion was UNTIL I moved from liberal San Francisco to conservative Phoenix. Wow. I won't go into details but, quite honestly, I don't even want to be friends with anyone who supported Bush or this war. In fact, it's really made an already bad situation worse in my family. I befriended someone here and thought we were on the same page, more or less. I found out she's a republican and, well, she's got a lot of other good qualities. Of course, I can no longer express my political views. Nope, no time for republicans here. So why would I want to live in an area that is predominantly so?

The only saving grace in this town is a particular liberal radio station. Without it, I would lose my mind.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I did not realize just how important this notion was UNTIL I moved from liberal San Francisco to conservative Phoenix. Wow. I won't go into details but, quite honestly, I don't even want to be friends with anyone who supported Bush or this war. In fact, it's really made an already bad situation worse in my family. I befriended someone here and thought we were on the same page, more or less. I found out she's a republican and, well, she's got a lot of other good qualities. Of course, I can no longer express my political views. Nope, no time for republicans here. So why would I want to live in an area that is predominantly so?

The only saving grace in this town is a particular liberal radio station. Without it, I would lose my mind.
No offense but that seems really close minded and judgmental of you. As long as someone is a good person what does it matter what their political beliefs are? Isn't accepting people's differences what diversity and tolerance are kind of about? Sometimes I am amazed how intolerant and close minded people on the far left can be just as much as the far right.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No offense but that seems really close minded and judgmental of you. As long as someone is a good person what does it matter what their political beliefs are? Isn't accepting people's differences what diversity and tolerance are kind of about? Sometimes I am amazed how intolerant and close minded people on the far left can be just as much as the far right.
Agreed. I'm rather disgusted that someone would ditch a friendship because of where they are politically....truly pathetic.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
I've noticed that liberalism is quite hip now, so the caring and educated have to distinguish themselves from indie rock douchebags who do what The Daily Show tells them. I'd rather not adhere to an all-encompassing philosophy so as not to overlook each individual issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.