Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 06:14 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You’ve never been to Houston. You don’t know what people here sound like.
I have met people from there and the ones so far did have a Southern accent.

I don't even know if there is a discernible "Southwest" accent, I haven't picked one out yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 06:50 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I have met people from there and the ones so far did have a Southern accent.

I don't even know if there is a discernible "Southwest" accent, I haven't picked one out yet.
I’ve met people from New York that sound like Tony Soprano, therefore that’s what New Yorkers sound like.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I’ve met people from New York that sound like Tony Soprano, therefore that’s what New Yorkers sound like.
I never said that everyone in Houston has a Southern accent.

But plenty of people have what is widely considered to be a Southern accent. I don't think a Southwestern accent even exists, it would just fall under general American accent.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:29 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
I never said that everyone in Houston has a Southern accent.

But plenty of people have what is widely considered to be a Southern accent. I don't think a Southwestern accent even exists, it would just fall under general American accent.
Here the problem: youre making a hell of a lot of assumptions and painting entire cities with one brush.

Youre talking about one of the most diverse cities in the US. The overwhelming majority of people here dont have Texas/Southern accents but yes of course a lot of people still do especially in the black community and the exurban/rural white community.

Ive actually been listening more for southern accents among Hispanics since weve had this conversation and since doing that, Im even more assured of the opinion I had. The exceptions where you do see Hispanics with Southern accents are those that grew up in black neighborhoods, grew up in rural areas mostly populated by white, or have very close ties to the black or rural white communities.

So when you say things like "the majority of Hispanics in Houston and Dallas have Southern accents", youre just flat out wrong. When you try to use youtube videos as proof, it makes it look more ridiculous.

That does mean Houston isnt a Southern city, it is. But it manifests more in certain cuisines, the natural setting (pine trees), and geography.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:22 AM

I'm in Dallas now and it's CLEARLY Southern in my opinion

Most people I come across have at least a little twang unless they're immigrants

Old 06-04-2021, 09:35 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
I'm in Dallas now and it's CLEARLY Southern in my opinion

Most people I come across have at least a little twang unless they're immigrants
Without a doubt. Same with Houston, and I'll say it again, there's nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:16 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
I don’t think there’s denial that DFW and Houston are “Southern”, they just aren’t part of the Deep South culturally. Houston has more of a Southern cultural influence/vibe than the other TX big cities and that’s due to its location.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:18 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
A lot of Texas homers will say that Texas is impossible to categorize and is its own region. I think that all of the Great Plains states have Western and Midwestern/Southern halves.

East Texas isn't Southern in the same way that Alabama is, but neither is East Tennessee.
I haven't spent enough time in Texas, but I do agree with your assessment on the Western and Midwestern halves in the Great Plains states.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:28 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
If you have a southern accent or a twang, chances are you are from the south. If your state fought for the Confederacy chances are very good, you're southern. If your favorite pass time is college football, beer, and sweet tea with dinner, and the nearest pro teams are in Atlanta or New Orleans,well then you might be part of the deep south.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:36 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If you have a southern accent or a twang, chances are you are from the south. If your state fought for the Confederacy chances are very good, you're southern. If your favorite pass time is college football, beer, and sweet tea with dinner, and the nearest pro teams are in Atlanta or New Orleans,well then you might be part of the deep south.
Don't forget Nascar. It's an international phenomenon but it's a southern sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.