Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2021, 12:19 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
For real. As if the south is some monolithic culture. New Orleans is pretty different than Augusta, Georgia, but both are a part of the south!!
I'm saying tho!
Someone gets it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 11:33 AM

21 posts, read 11,297 times
Yes. All of the major metros in Texas feel southern. There's much more contributing factors to a city/metro area being reflective of its' greater geographical location than a recent influx of transplants or a few neighborhoods that 'feel' different.

By comparison. Chicago is very 'cosmopolitan', but it definitely 'feels' Midwestern. Or how about Redding, California? It's 'red' and conservative, but it definitely still has a 'Cali vibe'.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:19 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm in Dallas now and it's CLEARLY Southern in my opinion

Most people I come across have at least a little twang unless they're immigrants
My Cantor grew up in Dallas and does not. On the other hand she went to college at Middlebury and then to Hebrew Union for divinity training. Not a trace of twang.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:10 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My Cantor grew up in Dallas and does not. On the other hand she went to college at Middlebury and then to Hebrew Union for divinity training. Not a trace of twang.
Most people that grew up in Dallas do not have accents that would be described as Southern or even Texan. Some of course do. Dallas is still part of the South though.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,107,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Felt the same in the Nashville airport. It’s a CD thing. Most of the residents of the aforementioned cities that I’ve encountered would consider their cities to be southern

To my perception as some who live back and forth between Atlanta and FT Worth most DFW would tell you Texas is the south simply because Texas is the south geographically.................. and most don't care to over think it in the first place. Heck the schools I went to in DFW taught Texas is the South.

Which makes it fascinating to me at anyone who say DFW isn't the the South cause I know Texas school taught it is was.

Like did they go to DFW and was like........ Hey! they are not riding around with their I'm a southerner bumper stickers nor because DFW as cosmopolitan big metro is not much like rural Mississippi "shocker" therefore they most not view themselves as southern.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:25 PM

508 posts, read 616,944 times
I am originally from Birmingham. Eventually you have to stop with this subconscious inferiority complex you have from being born and raised in the South. You cannot control that, you can only control what you pass on to your descendants and make sure that you do not instill sh*t ideologies and traditions. One of the best ways to do this, if you are religious (for instance), is to be sure that your religious leaders are not subtly teaching white male supremacy. But stop with this nonsense and vote.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:00 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
To my perception as some who live back and forth between Atlanta and FT Worth most DFW would tell you Texas is the south simply because Texas is the south geographically.................. and most don't care to over think it in the first place. Heck the schools I went to in DFW taught Texas is the South.

Which makes it fascinating to me at anyone who say DFW isn't the the South cause I know Texas school taught it is was.

Like did they go to DFW and was like........ Hey! they are not riding around with their I'm a southerner bumper stickers nor because DFW as cosmopolitan big metro is not much like rural Mississippi "shocker" therefore they most not view themselves as southern.
Austin, one of if not the most liberal city in Texas, had a high school who's mascot was the rebel and also a street named Jeff Davis. Ask most Texans, they'll say they're Texan first but they're certainly not ashamed to be southern. It's like "yeah, this is the south."

Old 06-10-2021, 10:03 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
I am originally from Birmingham. Eventually you have to stop with this subconscious inferiority complex you have from being born and raised in the South. You cannot control that, you can only control what you pass on to your descendants and make sure that you do not instill sh*t ideologies and traditions. One of the best ways to do this, if you are religious (for instance), is to be sure that your religious leaders are not subtly teaching white male supremacy. But stop with this nonsense and vote.
Bingo. Say it louder for the people in the back and I couldn't have said it better. Just because you're from Bama or the south doesn't make you a racist knuckle dragger. Racism can happen anywhere. But, let's drop the "oh technically we're in the east coast" or "there's so many transplants here, we ain't the south anymore dagumit" or "we are in Texas, but more aligned with the plains states." You're the south and that's ok.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Most people that grew up in Dallas do not have accents that would be described as Southern or even Texan. Some of course do. Dallas is still part of the South though.
I don't know about that. There's at least a lot of Texas twang from native DFW people and for sure Southern accents. I know quite a few and the accents are definitely there for the natives. The transplants of course come with their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

The people who say DFW isn't the South are transplants not originally from DFW or even Texas.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:43 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,893,998 times
Those who say it's not in the South, have no logic to back it up. None. It's in the South. You can't go any farther south, people, and still be in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.