Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 04:38 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times

Advertisements

All cities in Texas, from El Paso to Brownsville and Houston to Lubbock, are part of the South. The South is a geographical area defined culturally by what is located within it, not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 05:01 PM

87 posts, read 43,619 times
1) Texas is a big state.

2) The "South" is a large geographic region with many sub regions.

I would say there's a soft "Southern /Mexican border" that spans from Houston to College Station to Waco to DFW. Houston is the largest and most southern metro. DFW is southern, but southern with a lot of great plains and midwest vibes. Houston and DFW have relatively large historically black populations.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:14 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
I don't see what's Midwestern about Dallas.

How could you walk around Oak Cliff or even Deep Ellum and think you're in the Midwest rather than South?

Old 06-22-2021, 06:12 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I don't see what's Midwestern about Dallas.

How could you walk around Oak Cliff or even Deep Ellum and think you're in the Midwest rather than South?
Maybe not Oak Cliff or Deep Ellum, but the northern areas of Dallas and it's suburbs for sure have a little bit of a Midwestern/Great Plains suburban vibe to them. Even by design, the DFW northern suburbs are built like Midwestern suburbs. One of the few differences are the houses in DFW all have fences rather than no fence or a natural buffer like in the Midwest.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Maybe not Oak Cliff or Deep Ellum, but the northern areas of Dallas and it's suburbs for sure have a little bit of a Midwestern/Great Plains suburban vibe to them. Even by design, the DFW northern suburbs are built like Midwestern suburbs. One of the few differences are the houses in DFW all have fences rather than no fence or a natural buffer like in the Midwest.
I was at a bar in Richardson and I heard mostly moderate to thick Southern accents (from the majority of people in there, even the ones as young as me).

Ironically, I had an in depth conversation with a woman there and she immediately spotted me as an outsider because I sound Midwestern to her (I'm from New York).

Old 06-22-2021, 06:34 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Is kinda weird judging a city by a portion of its burbs. But DFW has some powerful burbs.

Either way DFW seems southern to me

Old 06-22-2021, 06:58 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Next we are going to argue that New York and Boston aren't NE, because the people there have a historically unique accent, and theirs a high immigrant population. Hell, a significant percent of NYC can speak Spanish, by all definitions NYC, is actually Southwestern.

Now in what way is Texas not "Southern".

1. Geography, now while geography shapes culture, humans outside of Native Americans haven't spent long enough in America for the major geographical cultural influences to play a role (hunter-gatherers vs. subsistence farming). Geography is not culture.

2. Ranching, sorry to break it to you, but their are significantly more cows in the South than the SW, and Ranching at best signifies a Great Plains cultural influence. Yes, theirs's more Ranches than Farms in the SW, but acting as if cow culture isn't a decently sized part of Southern culture ignores reality.

3. Latino people. While their is certainly Latino influence, in Texas, since Texas became a state, Latinos only cracked 25% of the population for the first time in the 1990s. Texas was historically 7-15% Latino pre-1960, and this percentage only rises dramatically, roughly 100 years earlier in the 1860s. Before this, a majority of the population was White and Black Southerners, to the point that in 1960, Texas's black population was nearly double it's Latino one. This is pretty much, a higher percentage than any state not named New Mexico, and so it plays a role, but it's presence doesn't make Texas Southwestern.

Mexicans were either dominant when the Southwest was empty or a large and obvious minority in that region. The majority of folks that lived in America, of Mexican descent, lived in Texas. By that token, the Southwest having a large Hispanic population today, has little to do with the culture that formed there. Although, plenty of Mexicans historically created that cowboy culture and were a part of it, the region was barren, compared to even Texas, which was also largely empty.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 06-22-2021 at 07:10 PM..

Old 06-22-2021, 07:05 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Is kinda weird judging a city by a portion of its burbs. But DFW has some powerful burbs.

I think only 10% of DFW population is in Dallas. So yea, they have really powerful suburbs that tend to run conservative. Alot of their kids that can't get into UT actually attend SEC schools.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

I actually think the Burbs would skew Dallas more southern if anything.

In my time there, it was clear that Dallas proper is Southern but it was extremely obvious in Richardson

Old 06-22-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Next we are going to argue that New York and Boston aren't NE, because the people there have a historically unique accent, and theirs a high immigrant population. Hell, a significant percent of NYC can speak Spanish, by all definitions NYC, is actually Southwestern.

Now in what way is Texas not "Southern".

1. Geography, now while geography shapes culture, humans outside of Native Americans haven't spent long enough in America for the major geographical cultural influences to play a role (hunter-gatherers vs. subsistence farming). Geography is not culture.

2. Ranching, sorry to break it to you, but their are significantly more cows in the South than the SW, and Ranching at best signifies a Great Plains cultural influence. Yes, theirs's more Ranches than Farms in the SW, but acting as if cow culture isn't a decently sized part of Southern culture ignores reality.

3. Latino people. While their is certainly Latino influence, in Texas, since Texas became a state, Latinos only cracked 25% of the population for the first time in the 1990s. Texas was historically 7-15% Latino pre-1960, and this percentage only rises dramatically, roughly 100 years earlier in the 1860s. Before this, a majority of the population was White and Black Southerners, to the point that in 1960, Texas's black population was nearly double it's Latino one. This is pretty much, a higher percentage than any state not named New Mexico, and so it plays a role, but it's presence doesn't make Texas Southwestern.

Mexicans were either dominant when the Southwest was empty or a large and obvious minority in that region. The majority of folks that lived in America, of Mexican descent, lived in Texas. By that token, the Southwest having a large Hispanic population today, has little to do with the culture that formed there. Although, plenty of Mexicans historically created that cowboy culture and were a part of it, the region was barren, compared to even Texas, which was also largely empty.
Excellent post. People seem to forget that a large chunk of Texas's Latino population is the result of recent immigration from Latin America.

Plus the fact that being Latino doesn't mean you're inherently non-Southern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.