Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2021, 08:03 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You are focusing on the Great Lakes portion of the Midwest. The Great Plains portion and characteristics definitely extends into DFW.
DFW is definitely part of the Great Plains. That doesnt make it not Southern, but again people want it to be just one thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 08:08 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
NYC and Boston have a lot of domestic immigration as well....and a lot of that is from the south. NYC has a lot of folks from Florida, Georgia, Texas etc. That doesn't mean NYC is the south.
Exactly, when talking about culture who settled the region and for how long is more important than simple Geographical markers. Yes their were Latino Settlers but the regions cultural foundation under what is today known as America was dominated upwards of 60-80% of the population at anytime from about 1860-1960 were White and Black Southerners. Even the direct European influence just like the Latino one took a backseat to this dominant culture. No one claims Galveston is an Italian/Jewish European town today, even though 50,000 people went through the area in 8 years (1906-1914) directly from Europe. It’s not simply a numbers game but history and historical concentration is what’s really important here. If a million people settle a region in the last 10-20 years they’ll have less impact than 100,000 people 200 years earlier settling the same region for 100-200+ years, as the majority population.

Now we can talk about the anti-Latino sentiment that purposefully kept Latinos at 15% or under for most of Texas’s history as a U.S State, but that shows in itself which culture was dominant. Deportations of Latinos whenever the population “got too big”, has much longer history in Texas and was happening in the early 1900s.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:09 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I'd ask this of anyone I wanted to know what culture they follow and / or have adopted. I happen to think we ignore latino cultures in much of this country and there are many different cultures from Latinos here that I am curious about. But I ask whites
/blacks /Asians all where they consider their origin and family connections to be. Many here are second it third generation Texans born here but have ai action of origin for their families. I asked my white neighbor his origin when we first met. He is from Istanbul, his wife is a. MD from me I I city and they met in school in Chicago. I ask this of all to understand things myself.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:09 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Quite the opposite.
Houston and Dallas has a newer Latino population than SA.

SA Mexicans are even more southern than Houston’s.
They are a lot more patriotic too.
That comment about northern Mexicans couldn't be further from the truth. San Antonio has some of the proudest Americans in the state.
While what you say is true I find it ironic that this same phenomenon is why I consider San Antonio as NOT southern. Mostly because no where else in the deep south do you find this. While Dallas and Houston have always had a small barrio San Antonio is more like the SW United States in that there is and always has been a generational population of people of Mexican descent.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:13 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
But southern is not just one thing.
The south is just too large of a geographic region.
But then again the Northeast is much smaller geographically and it's make up is much more varied ethnically and yet they are all the Northeast.

I dunno why the south being the biggest and most populous region in the lower 48 and yet is the only region that has to be all uniform.

No individual state is uniform, let alone an entire region.

Is Oregon not a western state because it is less Hispanic than Socal?

The population of different ethnic groups is irrelevant. It's the shared aspects of life that's important and Texas shared the agrarian and enslavement aspects of the rest of the south.

It wasn't just white people who owned slaves. Natives and even blacks owned slaves too.

The narrative that Mexicans moving to Texas magically turning Texas into a SW state is silly because it's not having Mexicans that makes the SW the SW

Old 06-23-2021, 08:23 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Do accents mean anything about whether an area is southern or not,? Is it purely geography regardless of anything else except having slaves?

Old 06-23-2021, 08:32 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I'd ask this of anyone I wanted to know what culture they follow and / or have adopted. I happen to think we ignore latino cultures in much of this country and there are many different cultures from Latinos here that I am curious about. But I ask whites
/blacks /Asians all where they consider their origin and family connections to be. Many here are second it third generation Texans born here but have ai action of origin for their families. I asked my white neighbor his origin when we first met. He is from Istanbul, his wife is a. MD from me I I city and they met in school in Chicago. I ask this of all to understand things myself.
So you would ask any person, regardless of color what culture they follow? Yeah, IDK. I have gotten that question a lot, usually harmless, but I'm not one to ask. Do you ask African Americans what their country of origin is?

Old 06-23-2021, 08:34 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
The south is just too large of a geographic region.
But then again the Northeast is much smaller geographically and it's make up is much more varied ethnically and yet they are all the Northeast.

I dunno why the south being the biggest and most populous region in the lower 48 and yet is the only region that has to be all uniform.

No individual state is uniform, let alone an entire region.

Is Oregon not a western state because it is less Hispanic than Socal?

The population of different ethnic groups is irrelevant. It's the shared aspects of life that's important and Texas shared the agrarian and enslavement aspects of the rest of the south.

It wasn't just white people who owned slaves. Natives and even blacks owned slaves too.

The narrative that Mexicans moving to Texas magically turning Texas into a SW state is silly because it's not having Mexicans that makes the SW the SW
Exactly. I'll harp back to my earlier example and expand on it. Miami/New Orleans are very different than Dothan or Biloxi, but all four cities are in the south.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:37 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Quote:
Really? There have never been people of Mexican descent in Arizona or New Mexico????

I think the real argument here is not whether Texas is southern or southwestern. The south was never a Mexican province. The southwest was never fully part of the confederacy. Texas was/is obviously both, and is that historical, cultural and demographic mix along with a often annoyingly overdeveloped sense of distinct state identity sufficient to make it its own region? That's the question...

My Tejano friends in San Antonio and Corpus generally identify as Americans first, and Chicano and/or Texan second, and culturally are way more norteño in terms of cuisine, music, style than southern, even when they don't speak Spanish at home...

Old 06-23-2021, 08:44 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Really? There have never been people of Mexican descent in Arizona or New Mexico????

I think the real argument here is not whether Texas is southern or southwestern. The south was never a Mexican province. The southwest was never fully part of the confederacy. Texas was/is obviously both, and is that historical, cultural and demographic mix along with a often annoyingly overdeveloped sense of distinct state identity sufficient to make it its own region? That's the question...

My Tejano friends in San Antonio and Corpus generally identify as Americans first, and Chicano and/or Texan second, and culturally are way more norteño in terms of cuisine, music, style than southern, even when they don't speak Spanish at home...

That is not what I said. You are over thinking things.

I didn't say those states don't have Mexicans. What im saying is it is NOT the arrival or presence of an ethnic group that makes an area an area. That is just pure racist BS because it is only used for one and only one ethnic group an one region. That is Mexicans in the south.

Mexicans in Chicago did not change the fact that Chicago was Midwestern so why does it magically change Texas.

My question is why does the presence of Mexicans change Texas but not Chicago. It's Chicago northern Mexico too like a poster put it a few pages back?

What is southern? A place that is white and black that changes to SW of Mexicans move there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.