Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2021, 11:55 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,578,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Is Houston more culturally similar to Boston than Birmingham? No.

Does Houston have more in common with Boston than Birmingham? Yes.

They are both major successful cities with large ties on the global stage, leaders in their industry, have similar GDP and population sizes (CSA), and super ethnically diverse (even if Boston isnt that racially diverse).

A better comparison would have been Houston and Atlanta.

As to Southerners being "allergic to their region", go back to what I wrote. It doesnt imply that at all or deny that many parts of Texas are Southern. What I contest is the notion that Texas is one thing and solely in one region. Its Southern, but its lots of other things too!
Cool, so Houston is more like Paris then it is Beaumont. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 12:05 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
No no no. Don't be jumping regions
Houston has more in common with Atlanta than Boston has with say Burlington.

Why as Boston's racial make up changed didn't people say oh no, they are now New English anymore?

Why when Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit... Black population exode didn't get say oh no these are filled with southerners, they are not Midwestern anymore.

Why is it that Houston is no longer southern because of a demographic change but other cities are unaffected.

Seems like a double standard with prejudicial undertones to me.

As for the multiple region thing, that's just too much confusion. Small states have multiple regions why wouldn't a big state like Texas?

Are you going to divide California into regions too? Say it is multiple things. That's just too much. California is a western state, Texas is southern. No need for all the extra
I (respectfully) disagree with everything you wrote.

Youll have to show me someone who said Houston isnt Southern because I sure didnt say it and I havent seen it on this thread. I did say Dallas was both Southern and Great Plains oriented and that San Antonio isnt Southern.

We could try and simplify things in that way, but that isnt reality. Reality is complex and trying to pigeonhole people, states or whatever into one thing so a person doesnt have to think as hard is simply denial. Of course Texas should absolutely be split into multiple regions. Without a single doubt.

As a native of California, YES California should absolutely be split into multiple regions too. SF has almost nothing in common with El Centro and LA has nothing in common with Redding.

As for people moving from different regions, yeah, it does water down the original culture of the city. Thats not a bad thing, its a good thing. Now instead of just being Southern, Houston can ooze with Latin, African, and Asian culture too. It makes these cities better vs. a place like Jackson or Rockford that have nothing but their regional identity to go on.

As for Houston having more in common with Atlanta than Boston does with Burlington, yes. However, Houston has more in common with Boston than Boston does with Burlington because they are both big, powerful, international, diverse cities. That overcomes culture alone. Most people from a place like Houston or Boston would feel more comfortable in each other than a small city in any region unless they simply wanted a small city to live in. Culturally Boston and Burlington have many things in common as do Houston and Atlanta, but when we talk about cities having "things in common with each other" that goes far beyond culture. Boston and San Francisco have as much in common with each other than San Francisco does with Los Angeles IMO. If we break down culture, that might not be the case but again it goes beyond that.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 06-23-2021 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 12:06 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times
Quote:
That is not what I said. You are over thinking things.

I didn't say those states don't have Mexicans. What im saying is it is NOT the arrival or presence of an ethnic group that makes an area an area. That is just pure racist BS because it is only used for one and only one ethnic group an one region. That is Mexicans in the south.

Mexicans in Chicago did not change the fact that Chicago was Midwestern so why does it magically change Texas.

My question is why does the presence of Mexicans change Texas but not Chicago. It's Chicago northern Mexico too like a poster put it a few pages back?

What is southern? A place that is white and black that changes to SW of Mexicans move there?
Exactly. The South is literally the only region that is defined by this weird racial purity test on CD

Old 06-23-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Cool, so Houston is more like Paris then it is Beaumont. Got it.
Not even remotely what I said.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:55 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
I decided to look up the list of USA regions. More examples than not did not have Texas grouped with southern states. So the question should be which if any cities in Texas are more like the south than the clearly non south state of Texas? Lol. The different fed agencies have different groupings per Wikipedia. Op side tracked with his bias.

Just kidding OP you can have what ever groups you want here it's a free country. What is your official list of USA regions?

Old 06-23-2021, 03:30 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Exactly. The South is literally the only region that is defined by this weird racial purity test on CD
It's very confusing to me, and I think another thing it stems from is voting patterns honestly. I can't think of any other reason why the South gets treated like this but the same rules don't apply to other US regions.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It's very confusing to me, and I think another thing it stems from is voting patterns honestly. I can't think of any other reason why the South gets treated like this but the same rules don't apply to other US regions.
I guess because the South (other than Texas and Florida) was the last region to get large amounts of Hispanic immigrants. Still not a good reason, though.

There are tons of Hispanics in North Carolina and Georgia now, and if those states aren't Southern then nowhere is

Old 06-23-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I guess because the South (other than Texas and Florida) was the last region to get large amounts of Hispanic immigrants. Still not a good reason, though.

There are tons of Hispanics in North Carolina and Georgia now, and if those states aren't Southern then nowhere is
What is or isn’t southern aside, the number of Hispanics in North Carolina and Georgia may be growing and may be sizable, but it is minuscule compared to Texas and Florida.

There are more Hispanics in the DFW area alone than North Carolina and Georgia put together.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 06-23-2021 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 06:30 PM

12,845 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
It's a group of about 4 or 5 cities where they will just scream if they're mentioned as southern. Southern is not bad. Southern is not one thing. And it's a CD thing. Most Texans and Floridians will say they're southern if you ask them what region they're in. No shame at all.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
But that's almost all states tho.
States are not usually all one thing.

And I don't know why people want to compare the Texas cities to Atlanta like it's the prototype.

There are a variety of Southern cities so why compare the Texas cities to a city that's on the opposite side of the south. Savanah is in the same state as Atlanta and it doesn't feel the same so why should Dallas.

The Gulf Coast has that similar vibe so Houston is best compared to New Orleans, Mobile, Baton Rouge.
Dallas is rapidly evolving but it used to draw strong comparisons to Shreveport and OKC.
The older neighborhoods in San Antonio honestly reminds me of the Eastern portions of Houston. Going down Culebra road could easily pass for a more undulating Pasadena Texas. Yes Texas is differentfrom Atlanta but why wouldn't it be? It's still southern but southern like it's neighbors not Atlanta southern. But Atlanta southern is definitely not the standard
Right - that's like comparing Atlanta and New Orleans. I mean you can do it but of course they are both Southern cities with vast differences in spite of it.

Heck, compare Memphis to Nashville - they're in the same STATE for goodness' sake and still differ tremendously.

Same with Mobile and Huntsville, Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.