Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 08:37 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,360,306 times

Advertisements

Texas is Texas, the one state that whose had a slogan "like whole other country".

Its the most transitional state in the union given its history, location, coast line, varied topography, high resident diversity, institutions and population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 06:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
South central means nothing really. The discussion is about how people of the state act. The culture of ranches, Spanish influences, native Americans, including those south of the Rio Grande, are prominent in Texas, elements not nearly as significant in states to the east.
Not so much in east Texas which I would definitely classify as "southern." But it's not the Deep South, which for some reason so many of its residents think of it as. It's Texas South.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:03 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not so much in east Texas which I would definitely classify as "southern." But it's not the Deep South, which for some reason so many of its residents think of it as. It's Texas South.
I agree. The Cowboy Texas he is alluding to is the Texas of Hollywood.
I wouldn't take my information about Texas from Hollywood.

The Hispanic influences doesn't away New York's northeastern character, San Francisco's Western culture or Chicago's Midwest culture. Atlanta has a growing Hispanic population, will it no longer be southern when (not if) the Hispanic population gets a lot bigger?

Native Americans? I think he needs to go clarify that one. Some of the most popular Native American tribes settled in the south.

Finally, I don't know what he means by South Central doesn't mean anything. What does any of the categories mean? The south is a vast area with a richness of different cultures and it is broken up into sub groups. The South East sub group will have more things in common than the south central group but even within the subgroups there are tons of variety. Gulf Coast Mississippi culture varies from Mississippi Delta culture. Which varies Southern Appalachian Culture which varies from Northern Virginia, which varies from south Florida and on and on and on.

The south is just too big to pick one area as the measuring stick. Similarly Texas itself is too big with vastly different cultures and zones to try to compare it to one thing. Texas is in the south Central because the bulk of the population is most closely relates to the states of Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma, which are South Central states. And the South Central states are part of the South

Old 11-22-2021, 06:51 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
It's "Texas South" simply because it's in Texas and has Texas lineage. It is also influenced by the Texas economy. But way back in Piney Woods and Big Thicket... There's some real "Deep South" goin' on.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's "Texas South" simply because it's in Texas and has Texas lineage. It is also influenced by the Texas economy. But way back in Piney Woods and Big Thicket... There's some real "Deep South" goin' on.
Well, I've never seen it. I'll take your word for it. But I don't think it really exists, honestly. I've never even seen a decent bowl of grits in East Texas.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:52 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Well, I've never seen it. I'll take your word for it. But I don't think it really exists, honestly. I've never even seen a decent bowl of grits in East Texas.
I've been to multiple southern states and never taste of bowl of grits better than my Grandmomma's or Mom's.

With that said, I don't know what Texas south is. I never heard of Texas south. I would love to hear your definition. I'm gonna assume it's a Texan culture mixed with Southern culture correct? Even though Texan culture has pretty much strong southern influences to begin with. Maybe not deep south depending on what part of the state you reside in but considering most of the states Anglo-American population before the oil boom came from Southern states and established Texas than it would have to be at least an extension of the south even if Texans purposely created their own identity separate from the South.

Now I know you're from the deep south so I won't argue over if East Texas is deep south or not. I know most East Texans consider themselves Texan and Southern. But I'll say this if a person thinks Louisiana is the Deep South. And I'm saying the entire state of Louisiana. That's Northwest Louisiana and Southwest Louisiana. Than why wouldn't East Texas and Southeast Texas not be considered the Deep South?

Because culturally Northeast Texas is apart of the Arklatex. Now I know Tyler is the most western "major" city in East Texas so Tyler probably has more interaction with DFW than it does Shreveport-Bossier City but it's still East Texas nonetheless. But Northeast Texas has more in common with Northwest Louisiana and Southwest Arkansas than it does in any other region in Texas. Southeast Texas has more in common with Southwest Louisiana than it does than any other region in Texas. There's really no big difference with either of these regions closer to Louisiana. Now if one was to say I don't consider those regions of Louisiana to be Deep South either than hey I have no issue with that. But these regions are pretty intertwined with one another. You wouldn't even notice you were in a different state if it wasn't for the Welcome to Texas or Welcome to Louisiana signs.

If a lot of East Texans see themselves as having Deep South culture you can't really blame them. A lot of their lineage comes from Deep Southern states. That's a fact. I think this map from the 1850-1880 showing the origin of old stock Anglo Americans also backs up that fact as well.

https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atl...pop_origin.jpg

As you can see most people who settled in what is considered East Texas originally comes from Deep Southern states. Central and North Texans originally came from Upper Southern states. And this bit from Wikipedia breaks down the cultural influences as well.

Quote:
East Texas is often considered the westernmost extension of the Deep South. The predominant cultural influence comes from customs and traditions passed down from European-American and African-American Southerners who settled the region during the mid-to-late 19th century. African Americans were first brought to the area as slaves to work on plantations. Deep South accent influences are noticeable in the subdialect of Texan English that is spoken throughout the region. According to the most recent linguistic studies, East Texans tend to pronounce Southern English with the drawl typical of the Lower South, whereas other parts of Texas are more prone to the "twang" of the Upper South, or—depending upon demographic influences of the particular area—with some Hispanic and Midwestern traits.
East Texas lacks the strong influence of late 19th-and early 20th-century European immigrants from Germany and central Europe. Similarly, the new waves of immigrants since the late 20th century, primarily from India, other Asian nations, and Latin America, and their influences, have been less prevalent in East Texas compared to other Texas regions.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:20 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
If a lot of East Texans see themselves as having Deep South culture you can't really blame them. A lot of their lineage comes from Deep Southern states. That's a fact. I think this map from the 1850-1880 showing the origin of old stock Anglo Americans also backs up that fact as well.

https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atl...pop_origin.jpg

As you can see most people who settled in what is considered East Texas originally comes from Deep Southern states. Central and North Texans originally came from Upper Southern states. And this bit from Wikipedia breaks down the cultural influences as well.
It's certainly nuanced due to Texas history and the stouter economy of Texas making places like Tyler "less southern". But if you go to places like Jasper, Center, Marshall or Crockett. There isn't a lot of discernable difference between them and towns in Louisiana or Mississippi.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:48 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's certainly nuanced due to Texas history and the stouter economy of Texas making places like Tyler "less southern". But if you go to places like Jasper, Center, Marshall or Crockett. There isn't a lot of discernable difference between them and towns in Louisiana or Mississippi.
Yeah I'm originally from Marshall and that part of Texas feels really no different at all from other parts of the south and I mean Deep south imo. Even though I think you could fit cities like Longview/Kilgore/Henderson in that same space as well. But imo places like Marshall/ Jefferson/ Karnack/ Atlanta/ Linden/ Uncertain are no doubt very similar to what you'll find in Louisiana or Mississippi.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:14 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,402,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I agree. The Cowboy Texas he is alluding to is the Texas of Hollywood.
I wouldn't take my information about Texas from Hollywood.

The Hispanic influences doesn't away New York's northeastern character, San Francisco's Western culture or Chicago's Midwest culture. Atlanta has a growing Hispanic population, will it no longer be southern when (not if) the Hispanic population gets a lot bigger?
I think that it's really missing the mark to compare Texas' hispanic population to NYC or Chicago, much less Atlanta. Those hispanic populations are all immigrant communities. Texas does have a hispanic immigrant population but it also has a massive hispanic population that is native. And I mean native for many generations, not simply the children of immigrants. A lot of hispanic cultural elements are baked into the core Texas culture in a way that does not exist outside of the southwest (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California).

Old 11-29-2021, 02:22 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Texas doesn't have a native Hispanic population.
That is a false narrative. They may have lived in Texas in larger numbers for longer than New York, but that doesn't mean they are native. That's like saying African Americans, the French and English are natives because they have been here for multiple generations.

The Hispanic population in 1990 was only 20M. It is 60M now. Immigration laws changed in the 1960s that allowed a huge wave. The Hispanic population before then was nothing to shout about. Even in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.