Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2019, 11:22 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Only people born in the state of Texas from 1994 below are qualified to post if Texas is southern or not.
(Snip)
Look at the countless cities and counties in the state of Texas that were named after confederate leaders. The state of Texas still to this very day closely align culturally, socially, and politically with the other southern states that left the union. They only people that would classify Texas as not apart of the south would be those that are ignorant of history.

The question on the table is about Texas cities in the here and now... Texas cities are modern and vibrant places and have left the dream time of the Civil War behind. Perhaps that is not true in the rural or small town areas of the state or among those who carry that cultural mindset with them. The growth of the cities just in my lifetime tells me that lynchings, Jim Crow, and the history of the Civil War are not now all that important. The modern cities are southern in geography and climate first and culture and history is somewhere down the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 11:26 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The question on the table is about Texas cities in the here and now... Texas cities are modern and vibrant places and have left the dream time of the Civil War behind. Perhaps that is not true in the rural or small town areas of the state or among those who carry that cultural mindset with them. The growth of the cities just in my lifetime tells me that lynchings, Jim Crow, and the history of the Civil War are not now all that important. The modern cities are southern in geography and climate first and culture and history is somewhere down the list.
I agree. I do consider Texas to be Southern, but I don't understand the confederate obsession on this board. There are many cultural traits of the South that have nothing to do with that dark history.

Though, I disagree that culture is down the list, I believe it to be considerably more important than history.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:34 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
These cities are more Hispanic than southern.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
These cities are more Hispanic than southern.
Again, how the hell does being Hispanic negate its Southerness? Especially Houston and Dallas, where most Hispanics have Southern accents?

Old 12-28-2019, 12:03 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Again, how the hell does being Hispanic negate its Southerness? Especially Houston and Dallas, where most Hispanics have Southern accents?
Seriously, you can’t prove that. If you’ve got data show it. I saw a video on YouTube isn’t proof of anything and I would bet any amount of money that the majority of Hispanics in Dallas don’t have southern accents at all. I lived there for seven years and almost never heard what your describing. I hear it in Houston but not nearly to the degree of what you’re describing.

And yes I’m speaking of US born Hispanics.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 12-28-2019 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-28-2019, 12:03 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
SMH when people question the southern nature of the DFW area. The older parts of town in both Fort Worth and Dallas feel unmistakably southern.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Seriously. Stop making up things you can’t prove. If you’ve got data show it. I saw a video on YouTube isn’t proof of anything and I would bet any amount of money that the majority of Hispanics in Dallas don’t have southern accents at all. I lived there for seven years and almost never heard what your describing. I hear it in Houston but not nearly to the degree of what you’re describing.

And yes I’m speaking of US born Hispanics.
How do you compile data of people's accents?

Old 12-28-2019, 12:16 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
How do you make the statement “most Hispanics in Dallas and Houston have southern accents.”?

Old 12-28-2019, 12:54 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:
IDEA United States of America

Pick TX and listen to the samples.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:13 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
I've never known any US born Latinos to not communicate with each other primarily in English.

Should Oklahoma be blended in with Colorado and New Mexico, though? Personally, I'm of the opinion that Oklahoma is a flat out Southern state and the only person who lives there who posts here regularly seems to agree (he calls it the Western South).

I would be willing to bet money that most US born Latinos in any part of Texas socialize with each other in English. I would love input from someone in an actual border region, because I feel that city data boomers love to assume that US born Hispanics (especially from heavily Hispanic areas) are non-assimilated and speak Spaniosh to each other.
Yeah, Idk how to break it down honestly. To me, amarillo doesn't "feel southern," but pretty western. It's a cop out but a lot of grey area. I will say it saddens me to see so many Texans here ashamed to be associated with the south. We're certainly more southern than cAlifornian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.