Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 02:13 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Somebody posted about flat land and towering grain elevators and said you don't find that anywhere in the South, and since east Arkansas fits that description to a T, I referenced it. Like this:
Not to say Arkansas isn't the south, but you can find landscape like that anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 02:13 PM

530 posts, read 820,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Bet you thought you'd never get in an argument about grain elevators did you.

Looking at it it looks like Stuttgart is the Enid of Arkansas.
lol

Maybe I could make the case that Arkansas is part of the Midwest. lol
Granted, while there is wheat and corn in Arkansas, it's mainly rice and soybeans.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:17 PM

530 posts, read 820,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Not to say Arkansas isn't the south, but you can find landscape like that anywhere.
That was kind of my point in a backward way.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:52 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times
Oklahoma is a "Texas-lite" in the same way Canada is a "America-lite." Seriously, Oklahoma is basically Texas' Canada!

Canada vs. America:

1. Canada has a very different history from America but due to their proximity, Canadian culture became very similar to American culture.
2. Though both countries are plurality white, proportionally speaking, Canada has more Asians while the U.S. has more Blacks and Hispanics.
3. Canadian accents (outside of Quebec) are similar to American accents, EXCEPT for a few words like "progress," "drama," and "sorry" which are pronounced more like the British pronunciation.
4. Canadians are more reserved than their blustery American peers.
5. Canada has a more sluggish, less diversified economy than America.
6. Canada has a similar climate as the Northern U.S. (except it's even colder), while the Southern U.S. has a far hotter and humid climate than anywhere in Canada.
7. Canada has brands that are quite similar to their U.S. peers, like Tim Horton's being the Canadian answer to Dunkin' Donuts
8. Canada is that kid that's always in the shadow of his big brother, America.
9. Both Canada and America share quintessentially North American sports: Ice Hockey, Baseball, and Basketball

Oklahoma vs. Texas:

1. Oklahoma has a very different history from Texas but due to their proximity, Oklahoman culture became very similar to Texan culture.
2. Though both states are plurality white, proportionally speaking, Oklahoma has more American Indians while Texas has more Asians, Blacks, and Hispanics.
3. Oklahoman accents are similar to Texan accents, EXCEPT for a few words which are pronounced more like the Midwestern pronunciation.
4. Oklahomans are more reserved than their blustery Texan peers.
5. Oklahoma has a more sluggish, less diversified economy than Texas.
6. Oklahoma has a similar climate as the Northern U.S. (except it's colder), while Southern Texas has a far hotter and humid climate than anywhere in Canada.
7. Oklahoma has brands that are quite similar to their Texan peers, like Taco Mayo being the Oklahoman answer to Texas' Taco Bueno.
8. Oklahoma is that kid that's always in the shadow of his big brother, Texas.
9. Both Oklahoma and Texas share a common love and rivalry of football.

No wonder Oklahoma has a city called "Yukon" in Canadian County!

O Oklahoma! Our home and native land, True patriot love, In all our sons command!

Old 01-01-2020, 07:10 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,591,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Oklahoma is a "Texas-lite" in the same way Canada is a "America-lite." Seriously, Oklahoma is basically Texas' Canada!

Canada vs. America:

1. Canada has a very different history from America but due to their proximity, Canadian culture became very similar to American culture.
2. Though both countries are plurality white, proportionally speaking, Canada has more Asians while the U.S. has more Blacks and Hispanics.
3. Canadian accents (outside of Quebec) are similar to American accents, EXCEPT for a few words like "progress," "drama," and "sorry" which are pronounced more like the British pronunciation.
6. Canada has a similar climate as the Northern U.S. (except it's even colder), while the Southern U.S. has a far hotter and humid climate than anywhere in Canada.
7. Canada has brands that are quite similar to their U.S. peers, like Tim Horton's being the Canadian answer to Dunkin' Donuts
9. Both Canada and America share quintessentially North American sports: Ice Hockey, Baseball, and Basketball

Oklahoma vs. Texas:

1. Oklahoma has a very different history from Texas but due to their proximity, Oklahoman culture became very similar to Texan culture.
2. Though both states are plurality white, proportionally speaking, Oklahoma has more American Indians while Texas has more Asians, Blacks, and Hispanics.
3. Oklahoman accents are similar to Texan accents, EXCEPT for a few words which are pronounced more like the Midwestern pronunciation.
6. Oklahoma has a similar climate as the Northern U.S. (except it's colder), while Southern Texas has a far hotter and humid climate than anywhere in Canada.
7. Oklahoma has brands that are quite similar to their Texan peers, like Taco Mayo being the Oklahoman answer to Texas' Taco Bueno.

O Oklahoma! Our home and native land, True patriot love, In all our sons command!
I'm surprised Texas is not already plurality Latino.
Oklahoma is also way more Latino than posters on here seem to think.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:03 AM

24,466 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

Canada vs. America:

Oklahoma vs. Texas:

An what do you base all of this on? An internship in MS and a couple of weeks in OK?

Old 01-01-2020, 08:47 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
An what do you base all of this on? An internship in MS and a couple of weeks in OK?
I don't think he was really all that off base with that... but the Texas similarities aren't completely ubiquitous throughout the whole state of Oklahoma. There is some Arkansas and Kansas and even Missouri influences in the state of Oklahoma.

The southern part of the state (with the exception of the mountainous part of SE Oklahoma) are definitely Texas like.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:06 AM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Having been to Oklahoma a number of times I have always felt that it is a true blend of southern and western culture. The further East you are in OK the more southern the culture, of course. If you follow I 40 East out of Oklahoma it takes you through the heart of indisputable southern states like Arkansas and Tennessee. The latitude of OK makes it Southern in nature but it is far enough west to have strong western vibes. Midwestern??? Other than being on the southern end of the plains it has very few midwestern traits. It is not Iowa or Indiana. Midwest culture is a northern based culture. Oklahoma definitely is not that.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:18 AM

841 posts, read 824,408 times
Oklahoma landscapes:

Southern:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7287...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0543...7i13312!8i6656

Not Southern:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9025...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9377...!7i3328!8i1664

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7066...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7320...7i13312!8i6656

Very neat, diverse state with different sections fitting into different regional identities.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:54 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't think he was really all that off base with that... but the Texas similarities aren't completely ubiquitous throughout the whole state of Oklahoma. There is some Arkansas and Kansas and even Missouri influences in the state of Oklahoma.

The southern part of the state (with the exception of the mountainous part of SE Oklahoma) are definitely Texas like.
Just like Canada. Western Canada is very similar to the American West. Toronto's got the Great Lakes/Middle America influence. Quebec has the French influence, and Atlantic Canada has that New England influence.

But to sum it up, Canada is basically America-lite, except for Quebec. Just like how Oklahoma is Texas-lite. Just like how Chicago is more similar to Toronto than it is to Seattle, Wichita Falls is arguably more similar in climate and culture to Lawton than it is to Houston or Texarkana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.