Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you live where you live?
I grew up here and have never gotten around to leaving 18 19.15%
I was relocated for work without much choice 3 3.19%
I moved here willingly for a job 21 22.34%
I moved to where my parents/relatives live to take care of them 3 3.19%
My significant other's family is located here so I moved here for them 4 4.26%
I (and my significant other) made a calculated choice to move somewhere that worked with my/our lifestyle 32 34.04%
Other 26 27.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 10:34 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved to Oakridge, Oregon in 1980 when I started working for Oregon Fish and Wildlife. We lived here 3 years and fell in love with area. We vowed we'd come back and bought a house here in 2007. When I retired in 2011 we moved here and couldn't be happier. We live next door to a day use park and I can walk 100 yards and be fishing some of the nicest water in Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 02:47 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I live here only because it's much more affordable for me than other places I have lived. I could not afford to retire in the areas I lived before retirement. I've always lived in high COL areas. My other reason is it's not cold and snowy here in Florida.

I have absolutely no other reasons to live in Florida.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:06 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Plus fewer homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I live here only because it's much more affordable for me than other places I have lived. I could not afford to retire in the areas I lived before retirement. I've always lived in high COL areas. My other reason is it's not cold and snowy here in Florida.

I have absolutely no other reasons to live in Florida.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:10 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Applied to return to my old company and here I am. Shoulda stayed where I was in Southeast PA to work on my underemployment issues.

Unless I can find a higher paying job matching my field or degree in FW or Indy, I'm out of Indiana in 2020.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Met my future SO at a bar on the last night of Spring break from a NorCa college visiting my dad who retired to east county foothills of San Diego. Decided after graduating a year and a half later and a long distance relationship through letters to make a go of it over a job offer in the Bay Area. 35 years later we are more than comfortably ensconced in a beautiful, paid for historic house with a terraced canyon garden in the best urban neighborhood adjacent downtown.

It is of course not perfect but it is a city that we love and are deeply connected to culturally and to its delightful physical attributes with many close relationships to enjoy it with. We were lucky to secure good careers, bought low in a neighborhood that exploded in desirability and value with qualities that are important to us that essentially couldn’t be replicated elsewhere without several million dollars, and even then most don’t come with a beautiful ocean a couple miles away. There are a dozen or so cities/areas that we love to visit but for now none of them could offer as fine of a life as we live here.

It’s great to read other’s stories how they too found a place that works out so well for them as we have.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I neglected one key point on my earlier reply....my personality (direct, speak my mind, punctual, keep commitments, sarcastic) better suited for East Coast (and more likely to run into the same).
Haha! That describes my Gloucester, MA born and raised husband which is why we (I) love East Coast cities and characters so much for their like personalities.

(Have to spread more reputation around)

Old 12-31-2019, 04:34 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
I grew up here, left for college, lived in Richmond post-college and came back to NoVa soon after.

The DC area has gotten super expensive and I find it overall to be overpriced so I'm open to leaving but, uh... golden handcuffs. Although, I'm considering moving to NYC but we'll see.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:38 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I grew up here, left for college, lived in Richmond post-college and came back to NoVa soon after.

The DC area has gotten super expensive and I find it overall to be overpriced so I'm open to leaving but, uh... golden handcuffs. Although, I'm considering moving to NYC but we'll see.
If I could bring my Seattle salary to Texas.....

Old 12-31-2019, 04:41 PM

509 posts, read 432,607 times
Grew up in Savannah and then moved to Asheville after high school. Attended college and Grad school in Charlotte and briefly lived in Vegas with my grandma. After Grad school in 2012 searched the east coast for a high paying job in my field and landed in Lynchburg where I am a transportation planner and project manager so came here seven years ago for the job. No family, friends, or ties to Virginia.

Have a great salary and cost of living is low. Still visit friends and family in Asheville, Savannah, and Charlotte often and take the train up to Cville/DC/NYC a lot. Even take the train up to Dulles and fly a lot abroad (this year went to Finland, Estonia, and Germany) for pleasure. Downtown here is revitalizing and growing rapidly. Recently bought and own my own new build condo downtown.

Pretty fortunate to be a millennial and own a condo, not have much debt, and travel the world on my own salary. Could be worse places to live...

Old 12-31-2019, 04:45 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If I could bring my Seattle salary to Texas.....
Yes! A piece of me cries every time I see BRAND NEW apartments in Dallas renting for $800.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.