Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 07:29 PM

9,871 posts, read 14,203,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I’d like to point out that every year the estimate base if from the census not from the previous years estimate.

Therefore year over year population growth is very volitile. It’s quite likely this is a readjustment to the actual population of NYS from overestimates in the 2015-16 range.
Ah, could explain some of the higher numbers. If both turn out to be accurate, New York and Illinois are in for a tougher future.

I know people are leaving Illinois in droves due to high taxes and the pension issue. So we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 08:50 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,888,950 times
States receive federal funding for everything from schools, infrastructure, social programs, defense, housing and the like from the population numbers each year and each decade. The census is a big deal. It determines the allocation of federal funding and the share of federal funding that each place receives. In addition to that, I probably don't have to remind anyone that presidential elections are also determined by electoral votes and not by the people's vote (popular vote). You should be able to recall the elections in 2000 and 2016 if you've forgotten. The chambers of Congress are directly influenced by the redistribution of electoral college votes and the political ideologies that are increasing their presence versus those that are declining.

The reason it is a big deal is because you have 50 states that all compete for a finite number of resources that the federal government can offer and those that win out are the ones that have the largest numbers and presence in the House of Representatives. That's the chamber of Congress that initiates federal funding and allocation.

States should work hard, harder than usual, to make sure everyone is counted in this census. I don't like their chances in 2020 though, the social atmosphere that the United States has depicted to the world on over (very anti-immigrant) could cause many immigrant communities in the U.S. to skip filling out census forms. Which would obviously create a large undercount problem. This could be an amplified effect on states and cities that have very large immigrant communities.

Example #1: In the year 2015, 132 federal programs used the yearly census population estimates to allocate $675 Billion USD in federal funding:

https://www.census.gov/library/worki...ral-funds.html

Old 01-01-2020, 09:00 PM

8,758 posts, read 6,679,912 times
Yes, this will be a unique Census...real danger of political interference. It's extremely important to watch closely.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:35 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,414,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This year Greater Boston put 12,000 residential units online .. so that 9.8k definitely shocked me... especially at a time where the amount of construction in Greater Boston is at the highest point in the cycle. Framingham has a good 2k units in development alone and Boston has about 10k underway right now. This tells me the growth outside the hub was grim. Im still trying to figure it out. Maybe its a steep revision?
I forget the article but in recent years the state lost 60k jobs outside of Greater Boston and added 90k in greater Boston. I doubt its a heavy revision because growth has been slowing in MA since 2016. Also the unitsonline means nothing to me-it's massachusetts those units are probably a few years backlogged. THe planning up there is haphazard and decidedly reactionary and uneven so if a bunch of units are coming online and go unfilled for a few years,that makes sense to me.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 AM

13,942 posts, read 14,829,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I forget the article but in recent years the state lost 60k jobs outside of Greater Boston and added 90k in greater Boston. I doubt its a heavy revision because growth has been slowing in MA since 2016. Also the unitsonline means nothing to me-it's massachusetts those units are probably a few years backlogged. THe planning up there is haphazard and decidedly reactionary and uneven so if a bunch of units are coming online and go unfilled for a few years,that makes sense to me.
Survey says. No

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t03.htm

Old 01-02-2020, 08:25 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,414,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
that's nice. That's just one year though. As i said, i don't know what article.If i find one ill post it. I believe someone posted it on a thread somewhere and that's where i got my info from. Im just trying to explain the slowed growth

Old 01-02-2020, 09:30 AM

402 posts, read 363,059 times
Default Top 10 States with largest Year over Year growth

Source: U.S. Census Bureau. Estimates are as of July 1, 2019.

Numeric Growth:

Texas: 367,215
Florida: 233,420
Arizona: 120,693
North Carolina: 106,469
Georgia: 106,292
Washington: 91,024
Colorado: 67,449
South Carolina: 64,558
Tennessee: 57,543
Nevada: 52,815

Old 01-02-2020, 10:26 AM

9,871 posts, read 14,203,199 times
Each of these states have red hot booming cities as well.

Texas: Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio
Florida: Orlando, Miami/Ft Lauderdale, Tampa
Arizona: Phoenix metro
North Carolina: Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham
Georgia: Atlanta metro
Washington: Seattle metro
Colorado: Denver metro
South Carolina: Greenville metro and Charleston metro
Tennessee: Nashville metro and Knoxville metro
Nevada: Las Vegas metro

States that lagged in population have no booming metro areas.

Illinois, New York, Connecticut, Vermont, West Virginia, Louisiana, etc.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:09 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,425,961 times
Texas and Florida gains are equal to the combined totals of the next 7 states...Coincidentally, these 2 states--plus WA and NV--gives you 4 out of 10 states initially listed above that have no income tax.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:13 PM

5,713 posts, read 2,163,754 times
No California or New York? I know Illinois is shedding residents but expected to see California at least. All of the top 10 listed are states I would live in, growing with plenty of opportunity and reasonable cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.