Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times

Advertisements

I didn’t make any guesses nor am I going to. BUT your bosses are in the minority and will be increasingly so with more time.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:42 PM

712 posts, read 542,272 times
OP is in Houston, Tx, which is different culture compared to Northeast. Certainly this is not true in NYC, CT or MA.

For the most part, CT suburban areas are car centered place where everyone is driving around. The difference is that the driving traffic or the experience is horrible. Traffic jams are everywere near NYC. Boston metro is huge pain to drive into.
People mostly drive to a train station, and take a ride to job or to NYC or to Boston. Bus are common even in small cities such as Hartford, New Haven or Stamford.

It seems to be cultural difference.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Well, I live in NE Texas, about four hours north of the OP, in Tyler TX.

For me - I have the best of both worlds. I have plenty of room and safety in my suburban neighborhood to walk for exercise or leisure, but if I go to the store, I drive. And I have a spacious garage to park that car when I am not driving to shopping, volunteer work, etc. Since I don't live in a huge metro area, I don't have to deal with traffic jams or standstills or tons of congestion.

We have a very successful program around here called "Rails to Trails" - converted RR tracks which are now walking/hiking/biking trails. These are for leisure but they also go straight to "town" and grocery stores, restaurants, amenities, etc. The "Rails to Trails" trail is about a mile or so from my house. I guess I'd have to "brave" going along a road that doesn't have a trail or sidewalk beside it, but I see people riding bikes along this road all the time so I guess it's not so bad. We just moved here though so I haven't done it yet. So far, all I've done is walk for exercise around my neighborhood, which has wide, safe streets.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:01 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Wide streets are notoriously unsafe because cars tend to go too fast. Also they take longer to cross.

I spent over four years growing up in a suburban subdivision, from age 9 to 14. It was a crappy place to grow up...couldn't walk to much other than other houses and a Circle K.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:53 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
It makes no sense to place a high priority on walkability and in the mean time nobody is walking. I see most people in these areas sitting on their phones and laptops in their apartment or in a sitting area like at starbucks etc. If they need something they order from Amazon or wherever and have it delivered. If they need a ride they call an Uber etc.
In many of these new uptown and midtown areas or suburban walkable developments I only see people actually outside walking during rush hour or on the weekend. Even then I only see maybe 2 people walking on every block.
I say that they are "Walkable" but no one is actually "Walking" so what is the point? I compare this to buying a nice Nick-Nack just to sit it on a shelf and stare at it. Or maybe people want to be cool and live in a "Walkable" area even though they don't live a walkable lifestyle.
I see many urban style mixed use developments where the Garage is almost as big as the Residential building. WHAT IS THE POINT? IS it all just hype?
I see people paying $3000/mo. to live in a super cool apartment tower in uptown or wherever. I checked one out and NOBODY was in the rec room, pool, bar, TV room or anywhere else. EVERYONE was in their apartment on their computer?
People in NYC walk.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Speak for yourself. I average walking 5 miles/day and only drive 4K miles/year.
Me too!

Old 01-15-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
If an area is actually walkable (like much of NYC), people DO walk, a lot.
I walk to & from Penn Station to Soho everyday … not only is it exercise but I save so much money too.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:03 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
I live in Atlanta and walk a bunch. During the work week I mostly drive, but I spend my entire weekend walking. I walk to the coffee shop (local, not Starbucks), out to eat, out for a drink, and even to a friend's house. Much of Atlanta is very walkable. Shame Houston has missed their opportunity, it sounds like...

Old 01-15-2020, 08:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Wide streets are notoriously unsafe because cars tend to go too fast. Also they take longer to cross.

I spent over four years growing up in a suburban subdivision, from age 9 to 14. It was a crappy place to grow up...couldn't walk to much other than other houses and a Circle K.
LOL they won't go fast in our neighborhood. The wide streets are great here. As for "taking longer to cross them" honestly, this is a ZERO issue. We have very little traffic and no thru traffic.

It's a gated community with about 45 houses and about 75 kids - there are kids everywhere, people walking with strollers, dogs, people riding bikes, scooters, etc. Vehicles go very slowly. It's a very active and interactive neighborhood.

Different bites for different likes. I grew up in suburban neighborhoods and I liked them and still like them. When I think of my childhood, I think of riding my bike or playing with neighborhood kids for hours every single day. It makes me happy to see how many kids in our current neighborhood are doing the same thing.

There is a lot across from our house that hasn't sold. It has a lot of trees on it. The neighborhood kids have built forts out there. I think that's cute.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:58 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's a gated community with about 45 houses and about 75 kids - there are kids everywhere, people walking with strollers, dogs, people riding bikes, scooters, etc. Vehicles go very slowly. It's a very active and interactive neighborhood.

Different bites for different likes. I grew up in suburban neighborhoods and I liked them and still like them. When I think of my childhood, I think of riding my bike or playing with neighborhood kids for hours every single day. It makes me happy to see how many kids in our current neighborhood are doing the same thing.

There is a lot across from our house that hasn't sold. It has a lot of trees on it. The neighborhood kids have built forts out there. I think that's cute.
This sounds great until all the kids age out and then it just becomes sad. Very rarely do young families with kids move back into these subdivisions, unless they are very close to amenities or job centers, but typically they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.