Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 06:01 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Texas has four distinct regions to me.

The Gulf Coast (Beaumont, Houston, Corpus Christi)
NE Texas (Tyler to DFW to Wichita Falls)
Western Texas (San Antonio, Austin, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Lubbock)
Mexico Norte Texas (Big Bend, El Paso, Laredo, RGV, Brownsville)

Florida

The Panhandle
Central Fla (Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Naples)
Latino Norte Fla (Miami and Golf Coast)

California

Norcal
Socal
Inland California

Im no Fla or Cali expert but like my Texas breakdown into Four states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 06:20 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
I think Georgia ranks over Illinois now"
$893 M GDP for Illnois v $613M GDP for Georgia for 2019 Q2 and its not even close.

Chicago v Atlanta- No contest.

You need to keep your Chicago bias out and keep tabs on actual, not alternative, facts.

Last edited by Justabystander; 01-02-2020 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-02-2020, 06:25 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
I think Georgia ranks over Illinois now"
I mean...the numbers are on the first page and they aren’t close: IL is handedly over GA both in total and per capita.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:48 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Is Bangor really more different compared to Danbury than SF to LA, Houston to Austin, Wilmington to Asheville, or Miami to Tallahassee?

Many big, populous states have large cultural divisions within them.

Aroostook, Piscataquis, and Washington Counties may be outliers, sure. But Northampton/Amherst and Burlington have tons of similarities. Manchester and Lewiston look like tons of southern New England mill towns. Bar Harbor, Portsmouth, and Camden are touristy and boutique-y like Newburyport, Newport, and Mystic.
YES they are. Danbury is tied into thriving NYC and has the density, immigration and transit to make it a viable locale. Bangor is a small podunk town of 30,000 (comparable to stoughton, ma) in the middle of isolated, aging, poor state with little of value to offer and little relevance in the global economy. Why should Southern NE have to carry and subsidize Northern NE-where would the benefit be to MA CT RI? Its more important to look on a state level than compare town by town.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...aine/PST045219

Danbury: 11.7% poverty. 30.4% foreign born, 84k people, 50% minority, median household income 72k 68% labor force a participation

Bangor: 22.5% poverty, 4.5% foreign born, 31k people, 10% minority, median household income 42k, 58% labor force a participation.

Might I add Bangor has nearly equal shares of its population that is 65+ (16.4%) as it does U-18 (17.3%). And Bangor is one of the more relevant and important "population" centers of Maine...

Southern New England would never want to take on the declining enrollment, drug issues, unicoporatedlands, gun politics, and severe weather of Northern NE. It would make no sense.

Yes some parts of Southern NE are like some part s of Northern NE. That's even better! we keep those places and abandon the rest-as we should. Still all New England in name but we wouldn't have to carry their burdens. The thing with those northern New England "cities" is their literally the population of random nondescript towns in MA or CT and will never be competitive economically with even the worst cities in CT. Southern NE is used to undertaking large municipal projects and has the infrastructure and connectivity to capitalize off of that more so than the small time guys to the north.

Add to that urbanist ideas and progressive ideology would take a serous hit (VT is much smaller than NH and ME) and the political and cultural empowerment and representations of minority populations in MA CT and RI would also take a significant hit as issues regarding rural areas and an older, homogeneous, population became more center stage.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-03-2020 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-03-2020, 10:34 AM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
California its long upward trend seems to be slowing as it is about to lose representation in the house for the first time ever.

Texas (likely to gain three house seats)
Florida (those influential and wealthy NYers are moving to Fla as it is about to pass NY state in representation)
NY

The rest

Would be interesting if New England was one or two states changing the senate mix immeasurably especially if Ca, Tx and Fla are broken into more than one state as someone suggested.
Even with this, it isn't even close economically when comparing the 2 states in terms of output: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-gdp-by-state/

Old 01-03-2020, 08:19 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Based on population, # of metropolitan areas over 1 million, GDP, education/major research universities, Fortune 1000 company headquarters, annual tourism.

1. California
2. Texas
3. New York
4. Florida
5. Pennsylvania
6. Illinois
7. Ohio
8. North Carolina
9. Georgia
10. Michigan
11. Massachusetts
12. Virginia
13. Washington
14. New Jersey
15. Tennessee
16. Maryland
17. Colorado
18. Arizona
19. Minnesota
20. Missouri

Old 01-04-2020, 07:05 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Based on population, # of metropolitan areas over 1 million, GDP, education/major research universities, Fortune 1000 company headquarters, annual tourism.

1. California
2. Texas
3. New York
4. Florida
5. Pennsylvania
6. Illinois
7. Ohio
8. North Carolina
9. Georgia
10. Michigan
11. Massachusetts
12. Virginia
13. Washington
14. New Jersey
15. Tennessee
16. Maryland
17. Colorado
18. Arizona
19. Minnesota
20. Missouri
Based on those criteria, IL and PA should be at least tied. Could make an argument for a close tie between NY and FL as well, although I still think NY is above FL in the rankings.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:52 AM

372 posts, read 450,279 times
What's the criteria? When I read major I was thinking more importance? Such as Texas for its Energy and oil/gas industry is important to the country. New York(because of NYC) is important for the shear amount of companies. But outside of NYC I don't see how its more important.

I think Louisiana is a major/important state because of the Mississippi river and all the shipping of goods and the port makes it important.

But I guess if we go on population its pretty set. If that makes sense...

Old 01-06-2020, 02:53 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
It always seems that the most populated states rate the best in every poll on C-D. I would like to know if Wyoming, or West Virginia could really compete or rate well against California or Texas or New York. Some states are off the radar, so to speak, and they do not get the exposure of the "popular" states.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:46 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
1. California
2. Texas
3. New York
4. Florida
5. Illinois
5. Pennsylvania
7. Ohio
8. North Carolina
9. Georgia
10. Michigan
11. Massachusetts
12. Virginia
13. Washington
14. New Jersey
15. Tennessee
16. Maryland
17. Colorado
18. Arizona
19. Minnesota
20. Missouri

Based on those criteria, IL and PA should be at least tied. Could make an argument for a close tie between NY and FL as well, although I still think NY is above FL in the rankings.
Good points. How does this look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.